House Price Crash Forum

Price of a pint!!

reddog

HOLA441

Went out to a few not particularly special pubs in Brum the other night.  The price of a pint was well over £4.

My mates were saying they sometimes go into places where you pay over £5 a pint. 

I wonder what this is doing to the pub trade?  Pubs in Brum are already declining at a rapid rate, due to "demographic" changes, some pretty historic pubs that previously gave the name to whole areas have closed in the last few years.

I'm not really doing my part as I am cutting down on drinking (nothing to do with cost in my case)

I guess a pint of beer isn't in the inflationary goods basket!!

HOLA442
HOLA443
2 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

There is a massive hedonistic adjustment made to any alcoholic beverage marketed as “Craft Ale” which means that beer is statistically cheaper than at any time in human history. 

And by ststistically, I mean ONS number-phuqery.

Well... Over Christmas I was talking to my dad about the price of beer in pubs, a subject on which he knows much - he reckons that beer is now cheaper in pubs than its ever been. Bearing in mind he's 65 and has spent much of almost the last 50 years in pubs I'm inclined to trust his opinion.

HOLA444
3 minutes ago, frozen_out said:

Well... Over Christmas I was talking to my dad about the price of beer in pubs, a subject on which he knows much - he reckons that beer is now cheaper in pubs than its ever been. Bearing in mind he's 65 and has spent much of almost the last 50 years in pubs I'm inclined to trust his opinion.

In Darlington before xmas i was paying £1.90 for lager and £1.80 for bitter.Cheapest i can ever remember compared to wages.Thats mostly thanks to Spoons being in a town.Loads of places to choose from.Id never pay more than £2.30 for lager.

HOLA445
7 minutes ago, durhamborn said:

In Darlington before xmas i was paying £1.90 for lager and £1.80 for bitter.Cheapest i can ever remember compared to wages.Thats mostly thanks to Spoons being in a town.Loads of places to choose from.Id never pay more than £2.30 for lager.

Given what I've read  of you on here I suspect you and my dad have a lot in common. He made almost exactly, word for word the same comment regarding prices and locations, the only difference is the northern town :)

I took him out just before Christmas and paid £4.02 for 2 pints in the WMC.

I'm interested in the comment previously about hedonic adjustment applied to craft ale in CPI. I can't find any reference to it.

HOLA446
21 hours ago, durhamborn said:

Thats cheap, I think you may about £3 for a pint of bitter (Abbot Ale, Doombar etc.) in Weatherspoons in Birmingham city centre.

Admittedly the prices I am referring to where all city centre, and we could have kept costs down by going to a spoons.

HOLA447
1 hour ago, frozen_out said:

Given what I've read  of you on here I suspect you and my dad have a lot in common. He made almost exactly, word for word the same comment regarding prices and locations, the only difference is the northern town :)

I'm interested in the comment previously about hedonic adjustment applied to craft ale in CPI. I can't find any reference to it.

The pubs do deals with lads who buy barrels and drop them of for cash from a transit van.So 20% of the pints will be off books in some pubs.Some of the breweries also slip in free barrels for "flushing the lines".They have no choice or they wouldnt survive.

Some clubs are a bit expensive now though, £2.60 and above for lager in some places,but most are still very cheap.I was at a christening last month and they got the room for £50 and i was getting change from a tenner for two pints and two double vodka and cokes.

HOLA448

I think I paid around £3.50 for a pint of ale in a prominent pub in Norwich City Centre. £4 is usually the norm.

I remember I used to pay around £1.70 for a pint of lager 20 years ago (I never drunk real ale back then) , so a rough estimate of 100% increase since then.

The soaring cost of alcohol completely flies against CAMRA's campaign 'Use it or lose it' to keep British pubs open and keep some life in communities.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

I’m in Surrey, and from various reports we have the highest prices. £4.40-4.80 is not uncommon in a village pub. It’s probably down to London style property costs, but without the London footfall.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
On 31/12/2017 at 5:18 PM, durhamborn said:

What if you live in the 21st century?

On 31/12/2017 at 5:30 PM, frozen_out said:

Same again...

The WMC in town is now a gastro pub micro brewery. The local railway club is £3+ and the beer is not great. My rugby club similar price and decent beer.

There’s actually a Spoons in town and a Sam Smiths pub. However, they being outnumbered 20:1 suggests theirs is not the perfect economic model either and I wouldn’t choose to drink in either.

but if I were heading to the city (like the OP) rather than Deliverance, then beer is not cheap.

HOLA4415
15 hours ago, frozen_out said:

Yeah, I've been tempted to invest more than once.

I’ve only been tempted because the AGM sounds awesome although I reckon they oversell the experience in their promotional literature and I would never go and if I did it would be shit. The investment side seemed a basket case.

I find most of their beers difficult to drink. It’s only through acclimatisation to the chronic hop fest that is the craft beer market that I am now able to drink punk ipa. Partial to something like the Jet Black Heart milk stout though.

HOLA4416
29 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

I find most of their beers difficult to drink. It’s only through acclimatisation to the chronic hop fest that is the craft beer market that I am now able to drink punk ipa. Partial to something like the Jet Black Heart milk stout though.

When a lot of hoppy beers first appeared I liked them at first but quite a few really have gone too far.

Price-wise I wince above maybe £3.50. I was rather surprised to end up paying over £4 in my local the other day, it's normally much cheaper than that. The excuse was it's taxed by ABV and that was a 5% pint (a rather nice porter).

HOLA4417
2 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

I’ve only been tempted because the AGM sounds awesome although I reckon they oversell the experience in their promotional literature and I would never go and if I did it would be shit. The investment side seemed a basket case.

I spend a lot of time in the US and I never thought I'd see the day when I'd appreciate the crisp lifelessness of a Bud light over an ale, but they're all so overhopped and overstrength these days.

It's not unusual to see a drinks menu where the 'session ale' (i.e. one you could supposedly drink for a few hours) is called something like 'The Hopinator' and weighs in at over 5% abv. It's like an all out attack on the senses.

I'd still like to really understand the hedonic adjustment on craft ale in the UK (e.g. what features they include in their regression model). Do you have any reference to it? I've found the usual bits and pieces on hedonic adjustment in CPI, but nothing on bottled beer.

HOLA4418

Find the craft beer comments quite funny.

As an 18 year old in the early nineties, I was a drinker of bitters, when most others drank pub lagers like Carling, Fosters etc., Bitter needed more prominence in the pub back then.  But all it really needed where a few more choices on tap and for the pub take the condition of the product seriously.

The main thing I don't like about craft beers, is that the taste is all over the place, you go into a pub with some oddly named beers, and you could end up with something completely disgusting (I know I could technically ask for a sample of every beer, but I don't)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

I did go into a place (pub or something) recently in Southampton and I got 5 ale mini glasses on a wooden cheese  board type arrangement. The other place I went in someone was walking around with a plate of hog roast offering meat with your pint. Where does all this come from ? London ?

HOLA4421

£3.50 for a pint of Harveys in my local boozer. I could pay less than £3 if I walked into town but I like my local. I remember paying 20p a pint in the early 1970s. Inflation adjusted from 1972 that would be £2.60 in todays money. Cheapest I can remember is 14p in a students union bar.

HOLA4422
9 minutes ago, Freeholder said:

£3.50 for a pint of Harveys in my local boozer. I could pay less than £3 if I walked into town but I like my local. I remember paying 20p a pint in the early 1970s. Inflation adjusted from 1972 that would be £2.60 in todays money. Cheapest I can remember is 14p in a students union bar.

Wetherspoon is sub £2.50

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
On 31/12/2017 at 5:18 PM, durhamborn said:

In autumn 1981 when I first used pubs lager was 60p and bitter 50p...2.10/ 1.75 adjusted for rpi, more for wages.  So yep probably cheapest now.

HOLA4425

Archived