House Price Crash Forum

Theresa May | Statement at 11:15am

M21er

HOLA441
On Fri May 12 2017 at 6:53 PM, Digsby said:

So it's between the probability of having to pay more for your weed, or the possibility of not having to fork out £10k on tuition fees in the next year or two. Nice try.

Why do people persist with this idea that legalised cannabis would be more expensive? I'd have thought a forum populated by people who profess to have an understanding of economics would have a better understanding of the concepts of risk and reward. Even allowing for a bit of tax there's no way 1 gram of dried herbs should cost a tenner, unless the act of vending it carries a jail term.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
15 minutes ago, Hullabaloo82 said:

Why do people persist with this idea that legalised cannabis would be more expensive? I'd have thought a forum populated by people who profess to have an understanding of economics would have a better understanding of the concepts of risk and reward. Even allowing for a bit of tax there's no way 1 gram of dried herbs should cost a tenner, unless the act of vending it carries a jail term.

If it's legal, people will grow it themselves, like in Holland. It becomes pretty much a non-issue, apart from the occasional sign in public areas saying "no (soft) drugs", just like no-drinking areas. Most students try it, have a plant on their windowsill, and almost all of them stop smoking it when they leave college.

HOLA443

Cons' promise to build a "new generation" of social housing will be built in England if they win the general election looks like a joke.

"The Tories said they expected "thousands" of homes to be built each year with "hundreds of millions" of pounds invested over the course of the next parliament, without giving precise figures."

2k Cons vs 200k Lab per year.  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39911569

HOLA444
12 hours ago, mrtickle said:

Bin collections are down to each council. Thankfully Birmingham has stood firm, and we still have WEEKLY collections. It's a public health matter.

What's the public health problem with fortnightly collections?

HOLA445
HOLA446
26 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

So not a single bit of evidence that any member of the public has experienced ill health because of fortnightly collections.

Our council has a good solution to the problem of smell which is to have a separate food waste bin which is collected every week. If you don't put food in the general bin it doesn't smell and can happily sit for 4 weeks if you miss a fortnightly collection. It's surprising how little general waste a household actually produces if you use the recycling bins the way they are meant to be used. Most of our unrecyclable waste is plastic film from food wrapping.

We are a family with a small child living with this system and it works just fine.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA447
36 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

So not a single bit of evidence that any member of the public has experienced ill health because of fortnightly collections.

Our council has a good solution to the problem of smell which is to have a separate food waste bin which is collected every week. If you don't put food in the general bin it doesn't smell and can happily sit for 4 weeks if you miss a fortnightly collection. It's surprising how little general waste a household actually produces if you use the recycling bins the way they are meant to be used. Most of our unrecyclable waste is plastic film from food wrapping.

We are a family with a small child living with this system and it works just fine.

Don't understand that. Surely the cost saving from fortnightly is that they make half as many visits to collect your waste. If they come round every week anyway then they might as well collect all of it rather than just the food waste? 

Can't help thinking there must be a business opportunity in smell-proof bins or something like that.

HOLA448
45 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

2 words - disposable nappies

HOLA449
Just now, Funn3r said:

Don't understand that. Surely the cost saving from fortnightly is that they make half as many visits to collect your waste. If they come round every week anyway then they might as well collect all of it rather than just the food waste? 

Can't help thinking there must be a business opportunity in smell-proof bins or something like that.

It's not really about saving money, councils are trying to get recycling rates up to 50% by 2020. Many councils are forcing a behaviour change on households by reducing the amount of landfill waste they collect so that households shift to using their recycling/food waste/garden waste bins more in order not to have overflowing landfill waste bins. The painful part for households is changing the habits of a lifetime, many will struggle through the stages of grief (anger, despair etc) when they realise 1970s-style chuck it all in 1 bin and forget about it is gone forever.

HOLA4410
12 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

2 words - disposable nappies

We use disposable nappies and put them in the general waste bin. It has been fine even when we missed 1 of the fortnightly collections so went 4 weeks between collections. Like I said, if you don't put food waste in the general bin it doesn't turn into a big slimy putrid mess. Putting some disposable nappies tied up in nappy bags in there is not a big deal.

Our council does offer an additional weekly nappy collection for households with young children (white bags) but we've not needed this service yet. Our next door neighbours who have 2 young kids use it.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4411
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. You asked, so I gave you a few starters for ten - you can do as much digging, or not, as you like.

I am of the very firm opinion - yes, an opinion - that it's very important for rubbish to be collected weekly. I do not want fortnightly collections and I hate the idea. I'm sorry if you can't accept this.

Edited by mrtickle

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
29 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

The painful part for households is changing the habits of a lifetime, many will struggle through the stages of grief (anger, despair etc) when they realise 1970s-style chuck it all in 1 bin and forget about it is gone forever.

Sorry for opening a bin of worms with my throw-away remark about rubbish collection. It's a good point about driving recycling habits, but it still feels (along with many other changes since the 70's) that the average man in the street gets the s****y end of the stick in all of these changes - which is kind of my original point.

HOLA4414
6 minutes ago, mrtickle said:

I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition. You asked, so I gave you a few starters for ten - you can do as much digging, or not, as you like.

I am of the very firm opinion - yes, an opinion - that it's very important for rubbish to be collected weekly. I do not want fortnightly collections and I hate the idea. I'm sorry if you can't accept this.

I remember driving through mountains of rubbish in Bordesley Green a couple of years ago when the council left the bags uncollected for three weeks over Xmas.

Aye, caramba!

bin1.jpg

HOLA4415
8 minutes ago, billybong said:

The tories proposals for new homes, as reported by the bbc, seems to suggest fewer being built under them than the current record lows. 

Hard to believe the Toreens can lower the bar any further, given that fewer than 1,000 govt funded social homes are currently under construction.

HOLA4416
9 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Hard to believe the Toreens can lower the bar any further, given that fewer than 1,000 govt funded social homes are currently under construction.

I agree - for social homes.  I'm taking their general lack of enthusiasm for disclosure of numbers in the article as an indicator of their enthusiasm for actually increasing total new home numbers in the new parliament or even keeping the current total build rate.  Bearing in mind so far they've never looked like meeting their 1 million new homes by 2020 commitment for the current parliament.

The other factor being that builders and property developers constitute one of their best pals sectors.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Fourth deficit rule in four years risks undermining faith in targets. :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/05/14/fourth-deficit-rule-four-years-risks-undermining-faith-targets/

Britain could see its fourth deficit rule in as many years, economists believe, as the Government has to keep adapting its borrowing targets.

The rules are intended to show voters and financial markets that the national debt is under control.

Economists fear that “moving the goalposts” undermines the purpose of the rules altogether.

George Osborne set his targets in 2010 then changed them after the 2015 election. They were changed again in 2016 after the EU referendum, and are likely to be changed once more after this election.

Labour wants to set its own targets, while Philip Hammond’s original plan was set in the expectation that the next general election would be in 2020, rather than next month.

The Chancellor of the Exchequer said he wanted to balance the book in the next parliament – a deadline which has been brought forwards by three years by the decision to hold a snap election, and economists expect there will still be a deficit in 2022.

Simon Kirby, of the National Institute for Economic and Social Research said: “That implies that the Government, if whoever forms the next Government does not change the fiscal rule, will need to tighten fiscal policy over that parliament by an additional £3.5bn, or 0.2pc of GDP.

“That doesn't sound much, but it is on top of the in excess of 10pc of GDP fiscal consolidation that has been in operation since the start of 2010,” he said. 

“We effectively see two options - the Government tightens fiscal policy to hit this objective, or we get yet another fiscal rule. So that would effectively be four fiscal rules in four years.”

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Theresa May cornered by a SECOND angry voter - this time about well-off families grabbing government housing help

A man in Abingdon was upset that the Help To Buy housing policy benefited well-off families more than ordinary working people - and he's right

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-cornered-second-angry-voter-10427734

Thersa May just doesn't get it, praising help to buy and shared ownership to angry pensioner.

HOLA4424
3 hours ago, brit1234 said:

Theresa May cornered by a SECOND angry voter - this time about well-off families grabbing government housing help

A man in Abingdon was upset that the Help To Buy housing policy benefited well-off families more than ordinary working people - and he's right

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/theresa-cornered-second-angry-voter-10427734

Thersa May just doesn't get it, praising help to buy and shared ownership to angry pensioner.

May must know that help to buy and shared ownership are of no help to the young. These schemes are nothing more than tax payer funded props. To see her openly lying to this man is quite sickening.

HOLA4425

Jeremy Corbyn ambushes Theresa May during Facebook Live event with TV debate challenge

Jeremy Corbyn ambushed Theresa May as she appeared on Facebook Live, issuing a direct challenge to the Prime Minister to take part in televised debates before the general election.

Ms May, however, dismissed the Labour leader’s question that he left on the livestream, claiming it would be more important during the next four weeks before polling day to take questions directly from voters. Independent

She dodged the question, like she always does.