House Price Crash Forum

The Guardian: If EU workers go, will robots step in to pick and pack Britain’s dinners?

HOLA441

The Guardian: Robots delivering pizza and house viewing by VR: is 5G really the future?

Philip Hammond says he wants the UK to become a “world leader” in 5G, the next-generation mobile technology that proponents say is the key to an internet-connected world of driverless cars, smart home appliances, delivery drones and lightning-fast video on the go.

The government, which has published a 70-page tome on its future 5G strategy, said in the budget it would invest up to £16m to run trials and support the technology’s development, to make sure the UK is at the crest of the “next wave of mobile technology services”.

If VR is the future house viewing will EA's become Obsolete?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
2 hours ago, winkie said:

Pizza is very easy and cheap to make....All that is required is an oven.....Lots of things that people pay a premium for can be made for pennies literally......;)

True, pizza is very cheap to make and the overall price probably includes a big percentage of delivery charges.

What I really want to know is will EA's become obsolete? Already websites like purple bricks have reduced their business.

HOLA445
10 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

True, pizza is very cheap to make and the overall price probably includes a big percentage of delivery charges.

What I really want to know is will EA's become obsolete? Already websites like purple bricks have reduced their business.

Physical EAs are dead men walking.

I doubt any town will have a street of EAs in 5 years.

HOLA446
27 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

Fresh homemade pizza is better than anything you could buy anywhere, why you can put your five or ten a day topping no delivery required......All that is required is an oven a hot cooking place...EA like lazy pizza eaters, there will always be a place for......Time and ability lacking is very expensive....Choices..... Always a choice.;)

HOLA447
HOLA448
17 hours ago, spyguy said:

It will back to having a few who know what they are doing.

Purple Bricks will be /is like businessesforsale.com etc rather than save money and sell their business vendors think hey I can save money and ask an unrealistic price.

Agents at the moment have moved away from their real reason de etre which is to manage expectations and sell.

Also people cannot handle showing people around and get too fussy/personal if they do so a third party is a welcome separator.  I can only imagine the reaction to a few of the offers I have put in.

I dont mind experienced pragmatic estate agents just not the recent breed.  

HOLA449

Why couldn't there be local non profit making websites that list what is happening in an area as well as what is on offer in an area.......Just like the local pub, the newsagents notice board , everything that needs to know is out there ........ all you need to do is look and ask, all there for the taking.;)

HOLA4410
58 minutes ago, Fromage Frais said:

It will back to having a few who know what they are doing.

Purple Bricks will be /is like businessesforsale.com etc rather than save money and sell their business vendors think hey I can save money and ask an unrealistic price.

Agents at the moment have moved away from their real reason de etre which is to manage expectations and sell.

Also people cannot handle showing people around and get too fussy/personal if they do so a third party is a welcome separator.  I can only imagine the reaction to a few of the offers I have put in.

I dont mind experienced pragmatic estate agents just not the recent breed.  

My reasoning is based less on the abilities of EAs, more to eith having capital tied up in shop with large eindows in secondary locations.

Most accountants have moved from the high street to cheaper, bland industrial units. EAs will follow. They just need ameeting room and filing space.

I rarely see people browsing ea windows. The ones i do are old and only sellers.

Eas survive on transactions.

HOLA4411
51 minutes ago, winkie said:

Why couldn't there be local non profit making websites that list what is happening in an area as well as what is on offer in an area.......Just like the local pub, the newsagents notice board , everything that needs to know is out there ........ all you need to do is look and ask, all there for the taking.;)

Youve answered your question - non-profit.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
18 hours ago, spyguy said:

Pleased if they do disappear.  Can't help thinking that gov will start a bail out of EA's claiming unfair business practices or something just to keep them going.  That or simply financial subsidy like the farmers.  We can't have all those villages with 1 shop and 5 EA's closing down, why there would be no need to go shopping just to see how much you're worth today...

HOLA4414
5 minutes ago, giggler000 said:

Pleased if they do disappear.  Can't help thinking that gov will start a bail out of EA's claiming unfair business practices or something just to keep them going.  That or simply financial subsidy like the farmers.  We can't have all those villages with 1 shop and 5 EA's closing down, why there would be no need to go shopping just to see how much you're worth today...

Goto any small town. Nophb, few shops, tat shop and about 5 EAs. 

Somethings bent. Housing sucking the life out of the economy.

Edited by spyguy

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
On 12/03/2017 at 1:54 PM, spyguy said:

My reasoning is based less on the abilities of EAs, more to eith having capital tied up in shop with large eindows in secondary locations.

Most accountants have moved from the high street to cheaper, bland industrial units. EAs will follow. They just need ameeting room and filing space.

I rarely see people browsing ea windows. The ones i do are old and only sellers.

Eas survive on transactions.

There is no point browsing windows :-)

This is my local agents on Unthank road in Norwich the "hottest market" in the area NR2.

Out of 24 slots on 8 have details in and dont forget sold properties make up some of the numbers.

On this road there are 5/6 agents with Abbotts (countrywide) having just closed their branch.

There are too many agents and not enough properties for sale and your right in this scenario online is better as such a few in each window its a wasted trip.

IMG_1424.JPG

Edited by Fromage Frais

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4419

The Guardian: Millions of UK workers at risk of being replaced by robots, study says

More than 10 million UK workers are at high risk of being replaced by robots within 15 years as the automation of routine tasks gathers pace in a new machine age.

PwC said 2.25 million jobs were at high risk in wholesale and retailing – the sector that employs most people in the UK – and 1.2 million were under threat in manufacturing, 1.1 million in administrative and support services and 950,000 in transport and storage.

The report said the biggest impact would be on workers who had left school with GCSEs or lower, and that there was an argument for government intervention in education, lifelong learning and job matching to ensure the potential gains from automation were not concentrated in too few hands. Some form of universal basic income might also be considered

HOLA4420

Apologies if this is already posted.

The Guardian: If EU workers go, will robots step in to pick and pack Britain’s dinners?

Octopus-like robots are plucking strawberries in Spain, in the US machines are vacuuming apples off the trees, and in the UK they are feeding and milking cows. Robots are taking over fields around the world, and last week food and rural affairs secretary Andrea Leadsom suggested they could help replace the thousands of EU workers who currently help put food on British tables.

“If Theresa May decides in 2019 ‘that’s it, you’re on your own’, that would radically impact my approach to robots. I would have 500 robots in two years and probably spend £5m on it.”

Interesting post Brexit time.

HOLA4421

Automation is amazing I have automated a few things for my business mostly checking data and sending me an email each morning something that once took a few hours each day not takes 5 minutes, But I do worry about the future I don't think most people understand how much can or could be automated

Most see it as convenient until it starts effecting them 

This video shows most fast food have been working on this but its the bit at the end that got me, order, collect your order no human contact in the way of having to talk to someone, kids and most adults are already socially awkward 
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/videos/2017-03-20/automation-coming-to-a-restaurant-near-you-video

Also with VR so many ways it can be used for good and bad, I was given at Christmas one of those cheap cardboard box VR that you slide your phone in actually a cool little gift and if you use the youtube app and search #360video there are hundreds of videos putting you in that location to look around

Now what did the kids in my family do they went to the Caribbean Beach, Grand Cannon, Zoo, viewed some elephants, went on a roller coaster

All cool but kids and adults are becoming lazy with all this technology and convenience I can see in 10 years time people using VR a lot lets go here, lets see the Inca trails or the great barrier reef https://www.google.co.uk/maps/about/behind-the-scenes/streetview/treks/oceans/

Like most things i can see them having there uses but.. 

Anyway rant over 

HOLA4422
5 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

I think I'll invent a machine to wash cars. Oh, what's that you say, we can already do that....without paying housing benefit and tax credits? Bring it on.

Will it rob everything out of an unlocked boot too?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I recall an anecdote on a Stefan Molyneux YouTube vid in which he described how local 'progressive' govt officials hiked the minimum wage from something like $8 an hour to $12. One unforeseen side effect was that it pushed up costs to some fast food places to the point where it was cheaper to automate some processes. The net result was that teens and other casual workers looking for some easy extra money wound up out of a job and got $0 an hour.