HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
17 minutes ago, Errol said:

What's 'fishing for gold' then?

I think she'd like herself some of them gainz, despite the nod to "should be a home":

8. Luxuriating in money

There’ll be no sitting back to enjoy accumulating equity on what is an asset, but should be a home, then borrowing on the back of it; no helping your children buy houses, or investing in a fruitful wealth-creating portfolio of buy-to-let investments all over the place. Apart from keeping a roof over your head, rent paid out is lost money.

HOLA449
18 minutes ago, Fully Detached said:

I think she'd like herself some of them gainz, despite the nod to "should be a home":

8. Luxuriating in money

There’ll be no sitting back to enjoy accumulating equity on what is an asset, but should be a home, then borrowing on the back of it; no helping your children buy houses, or investing in a fruitful wealth-creating portfolio of buy-to-let investments all over the place. Apart from keeping a roof over your head, rent paid out is lost money.

Apart from keeping you alive money spent on food is lost money.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

If as a tenant you adopt the mindset that there's no point treating your house as a home it's only you that suffers in the end. Who cares if the landlord won't let you keep a pet? What they don't know can't hurt them, just do it anyway (maybe don't get four huge smelly dogs though). Can't paint the walls? Get some 3M command strips and put up posters and paintings. Secondhand furniture is practically too cheap to meter on ebay and Gumtree so you can fill the house with whatever you want and abuse the furniture to your heart's content (this is where unfurnished beats furnished). Why not talk to the neighbours? Yes you might be gone in a year, but then again you might not.

It would be better if tenancy law was more pro-tenant and maybe one day that will happen, but in the meantime you still have to live your life.

Edited by Dorkins

HOLA4412
12 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

If as a tenant you adopt the mindset that there's no point treating your house as a home it's only you that suffers in the end. Who cares if the landlord won't let you keep a pet? What they don't know can't hurt them, just do it anyway (maybe don't get four huge smelly dogs though). Can't paint the walls? Get some 3M command strips and put up posters and paintings. Secondhand furniture is practically too cheap to meter on ebay and Gumtree so you can fill the house with whatever you want and abuse the furniture to your heart's content (this is where unfurnished beats furnished). Why not talk to the neighbours? Yes you might be gone in a year, but then again you might not.

It would be better if tenancy law was more pro-tenant and maybe one day that will happen, but in the meantime you still have to live your life.

I agree with some points but there is a part of me which wants to build/assemble/decorate something in my free time but doing this to my landlords' house would be a total waste.  They'll just raise rent if it gets improved.

HOLA4413
9 minutes ago, Bear Hug said:

I agree with some points but there is a part of me which wants to build/assemble/decorate something in my free time but doing this to my landlords' house would be a total waste.  They'll just raise rent if it gets improved.

So find a way to build/assemble/decorate something that doesn't have that downside. It's a chance to be creative.

There's no cage so inescapable as the one we make for ourselves, or however the saying goes.

HOLA4414

But if they work hard and can save and raise around 10x their salary, then generation rent might one day be able to live in a 1-bed shoebox with a combined kitchen and lounge. So then they can keep the goldfish in the lounge and look at it while they cook. Not that is what I call aspiration. 

HOLA4415

In theory, renting is fine.  In practice - in the UK - it's shit.  It's shit because tenancy laws means the vast majority (95%+) of renters are looking over their shoulders wondering when they are forced to move again.  I know someone will comment here and say "but my landlord is great, and I've been renting the same place for 5 years".  Well done.  You're in the <5% of renters who are in that respect, lucky.  The vast majority cannot put any roots down anywhere.

HOLA4416
8 hours ago, Tempus said:

But if they work hard and can save and raise around 10x their salary, then generation rent might one day be able to live in a 1-bed shoebox with a combined kitchen and lounge. So then they can keep the goldfish in the lounge and look at it while they cook. Not that is what I call aspiration. 

And stop buying all those gadgets and coffees!

HOLA4417
20 hours ago, Fully Detached said:

8. Luxuriating in money

Agree, this is muddled - so one of the main causes of the housing catastrophe, speculation, is one of the main benefits of owning? And people only have to help their children to buy, if they can/want to, because prices are so insane. A reasonable rent paid on a decent place is not lost money, it's money spent on an important good. What about interest? Is that lost money or part of an investment? I wonder whether she's young so the current state of play is all she knows, it's how things are and will ever be.

In general though, liked the article and she does sort of suggest reform to the private rental sector at the end there. I do agree with her point that renting can be infantilising. I've been quite lucky, have always had a pet and been able to do a spot of decorating, but an old housemate of mine who went back to studying after 9 years of living here has had the fully 9 yards of horror, amongst which, the inspections - inspections?!! I didn't realise people had those, they thankfully seem to be a recent development. She said it felt very invasive, can imagine.

HOLA4418

The guardian article is just another attempted motivator message towards home ownership by the guardian VIs and hucksters.  It's also a rub salt in the wound article.

Then they have the brass neck to beg for money at the end of it as if the VIs aren't already pilfering more than enough.  

It's another example of how shameful and pathetic they are.

Edited by billybong

HOLA4419
HOLA4420