House Price Crash Forum

Are the EU immigrants going home ?

TheCountOfNowhere

Are the EU immigrants going home ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the EU immigrants going home ?

• Yes
    • No

HOLA441
30 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Excuse my ignorance gardener, but isn't it all grown under glass?  If so, I wonder how the poor weather can have such an effect

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/22/courgette-crisis-cold-weather-spanish-farmers-hope-worst-over

The picture is of broccoli covered in snow, so I assume it isn't grown under glass. Swedes, carrots and turnips should still be plentiful, it's just not so appealing for a vegan diet.

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
HOLA443
1 hour ago, One-percent said:

I can't find anything to argue with in this, other than giving benefits to people without kids, although I would think this was tongue in cheek.

Mostly tongue in cheek. Encouraging people to not have kids sounds like a good idea (within reason - don't want none at all), but it's not something I'd be putting forward as a serious suggestion.

HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, EnglishinWales said:

We don't need to eat salad vegetables in January. I think we'll be okay without the imports. British food first.

We've just been told we can't have chips or toast. 

I was wondering if there is something funny going on.  Perhaps they're reluctant to accept GBP in payment, or there is some bad feeling about supplying the British. 

Or perhaps the immigrant farm workers really are going home, and no-one is picking our own produce.  I also notice sprouts are a rarity on the shelves, and they are a winter vegetable.

HOLA446
HOLA447
36 minutes ago, EnglishinWales said:

Where are you shopping? 4 different types of sprouts available via Waitrose online delivery. Maybe your town is just having supply problems.

Not Waitrose.  I think you can tell from the shops I mentioned I have an eye for the cheap stuff.  I daresay if I'd gone in M&S I'd have found stuff available for a price, but I'm not playing.

Don't believe in online shopping for groceries either.

The other side of the equation is demand.  Maybe everyone's on a post-Christmas diet and eating salad and veg.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, DEATH said:

The canned stuff just disintegrates. I think it is made for just Popeye.

Oh that's fine. I usually make my own puree from fresh but this will do. 

Anyway this is a bit off off topic. 

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Well after being back in Edinburgh for a week now - and it's clearly anecdotal and just my area - but the idea that the EE are going home en masse is laughable. I've never seen or heard so many around. It looks to me more like a massive rush to get here before the two years are done. And the number of them with buggies and apparently with plenty of time to sit in KFC or go to the pool during the day - is quite extraordinary. Literally everywhere. 

I think we could easily see 10-15 million EE in the UK come actual Brexit. 

Those numbers may seem huge - but if you'd told anyone years ago about the numbers today they would have laughed in your face.

So we could have a country of angry 'Brits', millions of racist Polish (I'm talking generally here there is no other way) and millions of Muslims.

What could possibly go wrong....

HOLA4414
5 minutes ago, ccc said:

Well after being back in Edinburgh for a week now - and it's clearly anecdotal and just my area - but the idea that the EE are going home en masse is laughable.

Talking of full of immigrants and EE in Edinburgh and I assume you mean Eastern England.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
20 minutes ago, ccc said:

The mess of a car near me. How does this work with MOT's and all for foreign cars that clearly aren't here for a few weeks ?

IMG_20170126_095633.jpg

Last time i checked bad paintwork/grafitti (not rust etc) was not an MOT fail.

I take it you live in central(ish) Edinburgh. Do you have parking zones? If do youll have wardens. No valid MOT = no vehicle excise duty = cannot park on public roads = ticket

Await the response "the traffic wardens are all EE's and in on the scam"

HOLA4417

The thing is falling apart. The poor graffiti is just a nice example of a poorly kept vehicle. 

This street is public parking. So the wardens will have no authority. I have seen cars clamped for no tax - but never for no MOT.

Would be interested if anyone knows - I imagine it's the same as for traffic finds etc - foreign vehicles just get written off as too much hassle to try and trace the owner.

Anyway most of the numerous overseas cars around here appear in reasonable nick. I was just replying to a point made by another poster. Hope that's ok.....

HOLA4418
30 minutes ago, ccc said:

The thing is falling apart. The poor graffiti is just a nice example of a poorly kept vehicle. 

This street is public parking. So the wardens will have no authority. I have seen cars clamped for no tax - but never for no MOT.

Would be interested if anyone knows - I imagine it's the same as for traffic finds etc - foreign vehicles just get written off as too much hassle to try and trace the owner.

Anyway most of the numerous overseas cars around here appear in reasonable nick. I was just replying to a point made by another poster. Hope that's ok.....

No need to check for no MOT. 

No MOT = no Tax = ticket

I told you in my previous post. Did you miss it?

Edited by knock out johnny

HOLA4419
33 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

No MOT = no Tax = ticket

If the UK online system is advanced enough to include overseas cars and registrations then fair enough. 

But you know what ? I get a funny feeling it isn't. 

HOLA4420

I also pointed out this was a public street so as far as I know traffic wardens have no jurisdiction in these matters. Did you miss that ? 

The only way they would be caught if they don't have one is by one of these random checks that go around clamping and stickerung vehicles. 

Seen that a lot around here - only on UK vehicles though. 

As I said - anyone with any useful info in this would be appreciated - just out of interested. 

HOLA4421
38 minutes ago, knock out johnny said:

No MOT = no Tax = ticket

I also don't get your logic here. No need to check for an MOT ? You then proceed to say no MOT = no tax = no ticket ?

How will you know a car has no MOT if you don't check it ? 

What have I missed here......

HOLA4422

Here's some actual useful info.

https://insidedvla.blog.gov.uk/2015/01/30/dvla-works-with-the-police-and-hm-revenue-and-customs-to-crack-down-on-illegal-foreign-registered-vehicles/

It's from 2014 but still interesting. Seems there was such concern around the number of vehicles here (Jee whizz I wonder how so many vehicles are here) that a special task force was put in place. However according to this - and unless it's changed since then - only 4 UK police forces are part of it. Lothians is not one. 

So it's highly likely that there are plenty of untaxed, non MOT foreign vehicles parked around Edinburgh with little chance of ever being clamped or impounded.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
6 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

Wow you're stupid

Feel free to explain ?

(Btw = no ticket should have read = ticket but I was just copying what you had said so I doubt that's what you're getting at)

Btw you're the sort of bloke that intentionally knocks into someone in a bar in order to get into a fight - aren't you ?

You have aggression issues that you could probably do with getting help with. Best of luck. 

Edited by ccc

HOLA4425
36 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Very light on facts those two articles. No historical data for the first, and little of substance in the second. Back in 2008 there were problems in recruiting all the staff required. Also no mention of whether demand had increased rather than the supply of labour decreasing. At least there was a mention of exchange rates making the UK less attractive in recent times.

All in all essentially these two stories have nothing to do with Brexit but that never stopped Remoaning journalists blaming every non-story on it.

The project fear onslaught continues.