Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Are the EU immigrants going home ?


TheCountOfNowhere
 Share

Are the EU immigrants going home ?  

49 members have voted

  1. 1. Are the EU immigrants going home ?

    • Yes
      15
    • No
      34


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I thought the number had increased after Brexit due to people wanting to get on before the law changed.

 

If a lot do go back it will have a negative effect on our consumption based economy, giving all the remoaners a chance to blame Brexit, rather than question why we have an economy so heavily focused on consumption.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, reddog said:

I thought the number had increased after Brexit due to people wanting to get on before the law changed.

 

If a lot do go back it will have a negative effect on our consumption based economy, giving all the remoaners a chance to blame Brexit, rather than question why we have an economy so heavily focused on consumption.

As of now I mean.  I bet there was a rush, but  6 months on...i get the feeling they are offski...hence this type of article appearing.

The death spiral of immigration will do more harm to the BTLers than any governmnt policy.

No slaves...no rents.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

As of now I mean.  I bet there was a rush, but  6 months on...i get the feeling they are offski...hence this type of article appearing.

The death spiral of immigration will do more harm to the BTLers than any governmnt policy.

No slaves...no rents.

In time when all the new BTL rules and changes start to bite, and on top of that, it's possible one million EU migrants could leave after BrExit divorce.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

A number of friends of mine are planning on leaving next year. I think once the economy tanks they'll have even less incentive to stay. Most tell me they feel they are not wanted here and find the British attitude to them pretty appalling. I kind of agree.

 

I dont blame them.  Please are nasty at times like this and it will get worse.  The great unwashed should not be blaming the immigrants though, they should be blaming themselves for letting the bankers and politicians do what the f**k they liked while clearly lying when telling everyone they would stop!!!

 

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Serious question: why would they go home? May has already promised an "amnesty" of residency to EU migrants now in the UK.  Anyone who thinks the UK has the means and the will to forcibly kick out EU migrants post-Brexit is unbelievably deluded - that will never ever happen.  EU workers leaving now are walking away from a free lunch. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Serious question: why would they go home? May has already promised an "amnesty" of residency to EU migrants now in the UK.  Anyone who thinks the UK has the means and the will to forcibly kick out EU migrants post-Brexit is unbelievably deluded - that will never ever happen.  EU workers leaving now are walking away from a free lunch. 

I think the exchange rate is a big factor, and public perception leaning towards May going Hard Brexit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Serious question: why would they go home? May has already promised an "amnesty" of residency to EU migrants now in the UK.  Anyone who thinks the UK has the means and the will to forcibly kick out EU migrants post-Brexit is unbelievably deluded - that will never ever happen.  EU workers leaving now are walking away from a free lunch. 

Personally know of a couple of IT contractors who are leaving London in next 4 weeks.  

Heading to Paris and Lyon for new work. Were working in UK for last 4 yrs under Umbrella co's, so PAYE. Not Ltd companies. 

Fall in Sterling and long term prospects,  coupled with that possible travel restrictions,  uncertainty re future contract renewals etc.

They just don't want the uncertainty.  Both earned  £120k plus, and never claimed a benefit in their time in the UK. (Renters also.....).

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, fru-gal said:
  • She hasn't promised an amnesty yet (she is waiting to see what her EU counterparts say about the rights of Brits in Europe).
  • Since Brexit a lot of immigrants feel unwanted here and there is more open hostility.
  • The pound is tanking which means they have less to send home and it might be more economically viable for them to work elsewhere in Europe.
  • It is probably harder to find work because of the uncertainty and employers may no longer want to risk hiring EU migrants who might have to leave or have to pay out a fee to hire them.
  • I am not sure if EU migrants can get certain benefits anymore such as tax credits or housing benefits so it might not be worth them staying because the UK is a very expensive country if you don't get any subsidies and work for low wages.

The pound isn't "tanking" so much lately.

And remember that "reports of" hatecrime aren't actual hatecrimes. The organisation responsible for making up/leaking these 'figures' isn't what it seems:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/29/police-hate-crime-not-surged-57-per-cent-since-brexit/

Have you asked any migrants if they feel less welcome now? I have asked a handful, none of them feel any less welcome. The Guardian/BBC have a lot to answer for clearly.

Edited by spunko2010
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Yes. I have two very close friends who are from (Western) Europe and both have told me that they feel a lot more unwelcome here since Brexit.

I currently live in Switzerland, and a lot of foreigners there complain that they are treated differently.

 

Personally I don't see the problem.  I am not Swiss, and never will be Swiss, so why treat me the same as a Swiss 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, reddog said:

Personally I don't see the problem.  I am not Swiss, and never will be Swiss, so why treat me the same as a Swiss 

On the opposite side of the argument: why should people be treated differently depending on their nationality? After all, it's mostly outside of our control which one we end up with. You get one through a completely random event of your birth and there's no guarantee you'll ever be given another one in your lifetime.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

As of now I mean.  I bet there was a rush, but  6 months on...i get the feeling they are offski...hence this type of article appearing.

The death spiral of immigration will do more harm to the BTLers than any governmnt policy.

No slaves...no rents.

I know only two personally (a couple) and they're staying. Both have good jobs in the NHS and they live in a nice flat.  They are hoping the get the right to remain after Brexit.

My view is that most in the same position as these two will stay.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

Quote

 

British PMs agree to guarantee rights of Poles in UK

The guarantees were discussed in a Wednesday phone conversation between Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydło and her British counterpart Theresa May. The conversation, requested by May, followed her much anticipated Wednesday Brexit strategy speech in London. According to Szymański, Szydło said an agreement on social benefits and access to public services for Poles in the UK needs to be precise and legally binding. “We are not looking for bilateral solutions in the matter,” Szymański said, adding that "We think this matter should be resolved at the EU level, because its pertains to coordinating social benefits [for EU citizens] after the UK ceases to be a member of the EU.” Thenews

 

The PM sweetened the pot hoping others would follow.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Yes. I have two very close friends who are from (Western) Europe and both have told me that they feel a lot more unwelcome here since Brexit.

Tell them to turn off the BBC and see if they feel any better. I highly doubt it's based on any actual experience of a "hate crime"; rather, they constantly have the idea shoved down their throat by sections of the media that Little Brexiters don't want them.  All entirely fictional.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, kibuc said:

On the opposite side of the argument: why should people be treated differently depending on their nationality? After all, it's mostly outside of our control which one we end up with. You get one through a completely random event of your birth and there's no guarantee you'll ever be given another one in your lifetime.

The point is in the case of Switzerland if your father, grand father and great grandfather have all served in the Swiss army and been prepared to defend Switzerland in its darkest days, not to mention paying a lot of tax, then that should give you a certain stake that some who literally put their feet on Swiss soil 5 minutes ago should not have.

 

I admit my view may be clouded by the fact that although Brits are treated differently, they are still treated with a lot of respect (usually)

Edited by reddog
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I suspect those that can move elsewhere, will move. As usual, the bright ones (earning/paying most) won't hang around as they'll have other options. The ones that stay will do as its in their financial interest. Or they are unemployed/have social housing/kids/married to a UK national/ etc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, reddog said:

The point is in the case of Switzerland if your father, grand father and great grandfather have all served in the Swiss army and been prepared to defend Switzerland in its darkest days, not to mention paying a lot of tax, then that should give you a certain stake that some who literally put their feet on Swiss soil 5 minutes ago should not have.

I understand the point and, quite frankly, disagree with it to some extent - after all, we have as much saying in who our ancestors were and what they did as we have in picking our place and time of birth. I'd feel rather embarrassed being credited for my great-grandfather fighting the Nazis  (don't know if he really did, by the way) or my father taking down communism (he totally did not). Anyway, what you're saying seems to be based more on contribution than nationality. I'm all for gratifying people for the value they bring to the society regardless of their passport.

Edited by kibuc
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, reddog said:

The point is in the case of Switzerland if your father, grand father and great grandfather have all served in the Swiss army and been prepared to defend Switzerland in its darkest days, not to mention paying a lot of tax, then that should give you a certain stake that some who literally put their feet on Swiss soil 5 minutes ago should not have.

Bad example. The Swiss have been neutral in recent wars - so no need to defend the motherland. The father and grandfather would more likely have worked in an office helping to transmit Nazi/Allied cash/assets across the globe. ;)

As for having a stake in the country ? - the sleepy hollow of Zug doesn't seem to have a problem about super-rich Johnny-comes-lately's settling down and having the same rights as old family dynasties.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Only the foolish snowflake ones will leave due to unnecessary panicking. The idea that the UK will deport, en-masse over 3 million people (more like double that) is so absolutely preposterous that I do not have the vocabulary to describe just how preposterous it is.

Now if you want to consider what sort of country would do that sort of thing then cast your eyes over the channel to our continental neighbours and their recent history. Germany, France, The Netherlands, Italy, Spain, Portugal et al. All have had recent experience with fascist governments and/or mass deportations.

You'd have to go back to the 13th Century to find a similar example in the UK, when the king threw out the Jews.

It's. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Pieman Pieface said:

A number of friends of mine are planning on leaving next year. I think once the economy tanks they'll have even less incentive to stay. Most tell me they feel they are not wanted here and find the British attitude to them pretty appalling. I kind of agree.

 

What attitude is this ? I live in what's virtually a Polish enclave in Edinburgh and have for 4 years and haven't heard one single bit of abuse against them or graffitied on a wall or anything. 

I think it's true there are plenty of people - myself included - who have had enough of the sheer number of them here. But that's private thoughts from everything I have seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.