House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Are the EU immigrants going home ?

Are the EU immigrants going home ?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Are the EU immigrants going home ?

• Yes
    • No

I know of 1 German family and 1 polish bloke that have now gone.

I dont know many immigrants other than that.

I suspect many have gone home over Christmas and have no reason to come back

I thought the number had increased after Brexit due to people wanting to get on before the law changed.

If a lot do go back it will have a negative effect on our consumption based economy, giving all the remoaners a chance to blame Brexit, rather than question why we have an economy so heavily focused on consumption.

7 minutes ago, reddog said:

I thought the number had increased after Brexit due to people wanting to get on before the law changed.

If a lot do go back it will have a negative effect on our consumption based economy, giving all the remoaners a chance to blame Brexit, rather than question why we have an economy so heavily focused on consumption.

As of now I mean.  I bet there was a rush, but  6 months on...i get the feeling they are offski...hence this type of article appearing.

The death spiral of immigration will do more harm to the BTLers than any governmnt policy.

No slaves...no rents.

A number of friends of mine are planning on leaving next year. I think once the economy tanks they'll have even less incentive to stay. Most tell me they feel they are not wanted here and find the British attitude to them pretty appalling. I kind of agree.

11 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

As of now I mean.  I bet there was a rush, but  6 months on...i get the feeling they are offski...hence this type of article appearing.

The death spiral of immigration will do more harm to the BTLers than any governmnt policy.

No slaves...no rents.

In time when all the new BTL rules and changes start to bite, and on top of that, it's possible one million EU migrants could leave after BrExit divorce.

15 minutes ago, Pieman Pieface said:

A number of friends of mine are planning on leaving next year. I think once the economy tanks they'll have even less incentive to stay. Most tell me they feel they are not wanted here and find the British attitude to them pretty appalling. I kind of agree.

I dont blame them.  Please are nasty at times like this and it will get worse.  The great unwashed should not be blaming the immigrants though, they should be blaming themselves for letting the bankers and politicians do what the f**k they liked while clearly lying when telling everyone they would stop!!!

Dont hate the player, hate the game.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Serious question: why would they go home? May has already promised an "amnesty" of residency to EU migrants now in the UK.  Anyone who thinks the UK has the means and the will to forcibly kick out EU migrants post-Brexit is unbelievably deluded - that will never ever happen.  EU workers leaving now are walking away from a free lunch. 

1 minute ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Serious question: why would they go home? May has already promised an "amnesty" of residency to EU migrants now in the UK.  Anyone who thinks the UK has the means and the will to forcibly kick out EU migrants post-Brexit is unbelievably deluded - that will never ever happen.  EU workers leaving now are walking away from a free lunch. 

I think the exchange rate is a big factor, and public perception leaning towards May going Hard Brexit.

3 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

Personally know of a couple of IT contractors who are leaving London in next 4 weeks.  

Heading to Paris and Lyon for new work. Were working in UK for last 4 yrs under Umbrella co's, so PAYE. Not Ltd companies. 

Fall in Sterling and long term prospects,  coupled with that possible travel restrictions,  uncertainty re future contract renewals etc.

They just don't want the uncertainty.  Both earned  £120k plus, and never claimed a benefit in their time in the UK. (Renters also.....).

4 minutes ago, canbuywontbuy said:

• She hasn't promised an amnesty yet (she is waiting to see what her EU counterparts say about the rights of Brits in Europe).
  • Since Brexit a lot of immigrants feel unwanted here and there is more open hostility.
  • The pound is tanking which means they have less to send home and it might be more economically viable for them to work elsewhere in Europe.
  • It is probably harder to find work because of the uncertainty and employers may no longer want to risk hiring EU migrants who might have to leave or have to pay out a fee to hire them.
  • I am not sure if EU migrants can get certain benefits anymore such as tax credits or housing benefits so it might not be worth them staying because the UK is a very expensive country if you don't get any subsidies and work for low wages.

4 minutes ago, Inoperational Bumblebee said:

I think the exchange rate is a big factor, and public perception leaning towards May going Hard Brexit.

It is.

£ down from almost 2E to almost 1E - 50% paycut.

I have had a few Eastern Europeans quoting for work at the house lately, have asked a few of the more friendly ones if they plan to go "home", most of them said the UK was their home now as they have young kids here who are basically British.

10 minutes ago, fru-gal said:
  • She hasn't promised an amnesty yet (she is waiting to see what her EU counterparts say about the rights of Brits in Europe).
  • Since Brexit a lot of immigrants feel unwanted here and there is more open hostility.
  • The pound is tanking which means they have less to send home and it might be more economically viable for them to work elsewhere in Europe.
  • It is probably harder to find work because of the uncertainty and employers may no longer want to risk hiring EU migrants who might have to leave or have to pay out a fee to hire them.
  • I am not sure if EU migrants can get certain benefits anymore such as tax credits or housing benefits so it might not be worth them staying because the UK is a very expensive country if you don't get any subsidies and work for low wages.

The pound isn't "tanking" so much lately.

And remember that "reports of" hatecrime aren't actual hatecrimes. The organisation responsible for making up/leaking these 'figures' isn't what it seems:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/29/police-hate-crime-not-surged-57-per-cent-since-brexit/

Have you asked any migrants if they feel less welcome now? I have asked a handful, none of them feel any less welcome. The Guardian/BBC have a lot to answer for clearly.

Edited by spunko2010

9 minutes ago, spunko2010 said:

The pound isn't "tanking" so much lately.

And remember that "reports of" hatecrime aren't actual hatecrimes. The organisation responsible for making up/leaking these 'figures' isn't what it seems:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/06/29/police-hate-crime-not-surged-57-per-cent-since-brexit/

Have you asked any migrants if they feel less welcome now? I have asked a handful, none of them feel any less welcome. The Guardian/BBC have a lot to answer for clearly.

Yes. I have two very close friends who are from (Western) Europe and both have told me that they feel a lot more unwelcome here since Brexit.

25 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Yes. I have two very close friends who are from (Western) Europe and both have told me that they feel a lot more unwelcome here since Brexit.

I currently live in Switzerland, and a lot of foreigners there complain that they are treated differently.

Personally I don't see the problem.  I am not Swiss, and never will be Swiss, so why treat me the same as a Swiss 

Just now, reddog said:

Personally I don't see the problem.  I am not Swiss, and never will be Swiss, so why treat me the same as a Swiss 

On the opposite side of the argument: why should people be treated differently depending on their nationality? After all, it's mostly outside of our control which one we end up with. You get one through a completely random event of your birth and there's no guarantee you'll ever be given another one in your lifetime.

1 hour ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

No slaves...no rents.

I know only two personally (a couple) and they're staying. Both have good jobs in the NHS and they live in a nice flat.  They are hoping the get the right to remain after Brexit.

My view is that most in the same position as these two will stay.

British PMs agree to guarantee rights of Poles in UK

The guarantees were discussed in a Wednesday phone conversation between Polish Prime Minister Beata Szydło and her British counterpart Theresa May. The conversation, requested by May, followed her much anticipated Wednesday Brexit strategy speech in London. According to Szymański, Szydło said an agreement on social benefits and access to public services for Poles in the UK needs to be precise and legally binding. “We are not looking for bilateral solutions in the matter,” Szymański said, adding that "We think this matter should be resolved at the EU level, because its pertains to coordinating social benefits [for EU citizens] after the UK ceases to be a member of the EU.” Thenews

The PM sweetened the pot hoping others would follow.

47 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

Tell them to turn off the BBC and see if they feel any better. I highly doubt it's based on any actual experience of a "hate crime"; rather, they constantly have the idea shoved down their throat by sections of the media that Little Brexiters don't want them.  All entirely fictional.

26 minutes ago, kibuc said:

On the opposite side of the argument: why should people be treated differently depending on their nationality? After all, it's mostly outside of our control which one we end up with. You get one through a completely random event of your birth and there's no guarantee you'll ever be given another one in your lifetime.

The point is in the case of Switzerland if your father, grand father and great grandfather have all served in the Swiss army and been prepared to defend Switzerland in its darkest days, not to mention paying a lot of tax, then that should give you a certain stake that some who literally put their feet on Swiss soil 5 minutes ago should not have.

I admit my view may be clouded by the fact that although Brits are treated differently, they are still treated with a lot of respect (usually)

Edited by reddog

I suspect those that can move elsewhere, will move. As usual, the bright ones (earning/paying most) won't hang around as they'll have other options. The ones that stay will do as its in their financial interest. Or they are unemployed/have social housing/kids/married to a UK national/ etc.

11 minutes ago, reddog said:

The point is in the case of Switzerland if your father, grand father and great grandfather have all served in the Swiss army and been prepared to defend Switzerland in its darkest days, not to mention paying a lot of tax, then that should give you a certain stake that some who literally put their feet on Swiss soil 5 minutes ago should not have.

I understand the point and, quite frankly, disagree with it to some extent - after all, we have as much saying in who our ancestors were and what they did as we have in picking our place and time of birth. I'd feel rather embarrassed being credited for my great-grandfather fighting the Nazis  (don't know if he really did, by the way) or my father taking down communism (he totally did not). Anyway, what you're saying seems to be based more on contribution than nationality. I'm all for gratifying people for the value they bring to the society regardless of their passport.

Edited by kibuc

4 minutes ago, reddog said:

Bad example. The Swiss have been neutral in recent wars - so no need to defend the motherland. The father and grandfather would more likely have worked in an office helping to transmit Nazi/Allied cash/assets across the globe. ;)

As for having a stake in the country ? - the sleepy hollow of Zug doesn't seem to have a problem about super-rich Johnny-comes-lately's settling down and having the same rights as old family dynasties.