House Price Crash Forum

An idea of how bent India is

spyguy

HOLA441
4 minutes ago, wherebee said:

This is a classic false argument used by the 'anti-racist lobby'.  That because not ALL of a set of people act a certain way, you should not make a logical conclusion that the group as a whole is more likely to do something than another group.

for example, not all pitbulls will rip your face off.  But, compared to guinea pigs, they are much more likely to attack a human being.  It is therefore logical and correct to be more cautious around pitbulls than guinea pigs.

Likewise, it is more sensible for women to be cautious around those cultures and group that have a history of abuse of females.  And - I would include the english in this until about 1850.

Sorry, I do not understand your argument, all I do know is we are all individuals and we meet the individual and decide who can be trusted and who can not....You are not a bad person, I hope I am not either.;)

HOLA442
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Sorry, I do not understand your argument, all I do know is we are all individuals and we meet the individual and decide who can be trusted and who can not....You are not a bad person, I hope I am not either.;)

It's dealing with a situation before you know the people as individuals and whether they can be trusted as individuals or should be avoided. Certain groups contain a higher proportion of unpleasant individuals than others, and the most common unpleasant traits may be different for different groups. It's no different from avoiding dodgy places at night for example - by doing that you've made assumptions about the people who live there, which won't apply to all of them, maybe not even a majority of them if the minority cause more than enough trouble that you're still definitely better off avoiding the place.

HOLA443

When we lived in the Gulf, most of the people  I worked with for my first couple of years were Indian, and they would tell me all sorts.  

Just one example was a bloke who needed to send his wife money in a hurry.  She had to pick it up from some local office, and in addition to any fee there had to be a bribe for the official behind the desk, or he would not hand it over.  I was naive enough to be shocked then, but he just shrugged in a wearily resigned  sort of way and said it was normal, it was the way things were done. 

We have Indian friends who live in Mumbai, but visit London most summers, and they - especially he - regularly complain bitterly about it.  

One thing she told us re elections, related to how a particular, massively corrupt politician in their area would get himself elected.  He would go round the slums and promise that if they elected him, he would e.g. bring them electricity.  And once elected, he would actually do it to some extent, so they would vote for him again next time.  The slum dwellers (we were told) do not give much of a toss about billions-type corruption, since it does not affect them personally.  

The Indian bloke has said more than once that democracy does not work in India, and he is not entirely joking.  

HOLA444
19 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

It's dealing with a situation before you know the people as individuals and whether they can be trusted as individuals or should be avoided. Certain groups contain a higher proportion of unpleasant individuals than others, and the most common unpleasant traits may be different for different groups. It's no different from avoiding dodgy places at night for example - by doing that you've made assumptions about the people who live there, which won't apply to all of them, maybe not even a majority of them if the minority cause more than enough trouble that you're still definitely better off avoiding the place.

Sure, I get that but that could be said for many places and people everywhere....an evil or bad person can also be a good kind and compassionate person, bad people can still love their mothers or children....so all depends who are dealing with......Reminds me of the saying: Power tends to corrupt; absolute power corrupts absolutely. ;)

HOLA445

And many decades after the big bad British Empire was supposedly consciously starving them, the Indian sub-continent is in such a state that a heartbreakingly shocking 40 million children have hunger induced growth stunting. Why does authority of any kind get overwhelmed by mass starvation in India for countless centuries?

HOLA446
7 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

And many decades after the big bad British Empire was supposedly consciously starving them, the Indian sub-continent is in such a state that a heartbreakingly shocking 40 million children have hunger induced growth stunting. Why does authority of any kind get overwhelmed by mass starvation in India for countless centuries?

because it has a climate kind enough that you can survive in enough numbers to breed without having strong long term planning requirements.

HOLA447
HOLA448
18 hours ago, Big Orange said:

A significant part of that starvation is caused by Indian sh1tting everywhere, giving everyone bugs.

Its one thing not having a flushign toilet/sewerage system.

Its another having those in place but still sh1tting in the bushes because 'you like it'.

(Indian friend is trying to roll out toilets. Running into so much sh1t - on all types.

Asked me if the UK had any problems moving to using toilets/sewage. Answered: No)

HOLA449
3 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Asked me if the UK had any problems moving to using toilets/sewage. Answered: No)

Probably because we never had quite as much of a culture of crapping wherever we felt like it. Toilets were an obvious move on from doing it in a bucket then flinging it out of the window.

This attitude might have very old origins. One of the better preserved parts of Housesteads (fort on Hadrian's Wall) are the latrines, which consisted of a stone channel through which water would've run with seats above it, so going back to Roman times flush toilets of a sort existed in places. There was a smaller, raised channel for washing afterwards (or that might've been for the sponge on a stick they used, which doesn't appeal). And in nearby Vindolanda they found a Roman toilet seat two or three years ago.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
59 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Whilst "every one is an individual" seems like a truism that is impossible to refute, I would argue as a person you are very much influenced by what is around you. What do you understand about the term 'culture'? It is difficult to put one's finger on it, but certainly it seems it is something that is absorbed by your close contact to a group of people, their beliefs, attitudes and behaviours.

Yes, very much so, but that doesn't mean other cultures should necessarily be a threat, much good to learn from other cultures and their way of living and what positive benefits they can bring, but when whole communities are changing 'too far too fast' I would say some people do feel they lack a certain control of the circumstances they find themselves living under.....there has to be a balance.... when the positives start becoming negatives, they look for reasons.....realise not always the people themselves, but when people feel less well off, have trouble getting access to good homes and jobs, social services and good local schools, they look to see how their community is changing and why......who do they blame? not always directed at the right people, the people who are only trying to live the only life they know whoever they are.;)

Archived