House Price Crash Forum

Old fashioned toys

HOLA441

We got the kids marble run... An immediate hit. Quick to build, lots of permutations.

They're 3 and 5... Very happy to do play dough, digging in the garden, pouring water between pots and bowls, making shops.  

Fuzzy felt does my nut in! :)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I have quite a bit of nostalgia for old games, I have a collection of eight old Monopoly sets from the first edition big black box of 1936 to various small box editions to about 1950 all complete. Actually got a first edition 1949 Cluedo out over Christmas to play. Like this one....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/gds/Identify-an-Original-First-Edition-Waddingtons-1949-CLUEDO-Game-/10000000178513463/g.html

Something about old board games i find quite magical, where as a modern Chav Central edition of Cluedo or monopoly I would find depressing even though the rules are the same.

Btw the historic versions cost a fraction of the new boardgames on ebay...diddly squat in fact. Picked up a mint Monoply wartime edition with spinner for less than a fiver.

HOLA443

You can get a version of Monopoly for almost any town you have ever heard of. I still like the London one best, although the Bristol or Newcastle ones might be amusing.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
5 minutes ago, Freeholder said:

My nine year old niece is getting a full auto Nerf Gun from me this year. It's what she wants.

That looks fun. But she is old enough for a 22 air rifle.;)

HOLA448
HOLA449
3 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

At the opposite end of the scale all this girls wants is a bible at one minute:unsure:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/23/adorable-video-shows-1950s-kids-telling-santa-what-they-want-for-christmas-4996704/

Bibles and guns. Harumph! I still think a bicycle is a very good gift. My dad got me one.

HOLA4410
58 minutes ago, MrPin said:

Bibles and guns. Harumph! I still think a bicycle is a very good gift. My dad got me one.

While all the other boys got a chopper in 1971 I got this. Actually I thought it was the dog's ********. This game was updated with various graphics throughout the next two decades. But nothing matched the 1971 origianal graphics imo.

004.JPG

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
5 hours ago, Freeholder said:

I have told her to tell me if she wants to shoot any other type of gun. Her older brother was shooting clays with a .410 shotgun at nine.

My sister does clay pigeon shoots! I should try it sometime.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, happy_renting said:

Get her to roast you one.

It will be as hard as my late mum's biscuits. I used them as Ninja weapons.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
27 minutes ago, hotairmail said:

Me and my brothers inherited my Mum's and her two brothers' meccano set which would have been pre WWII time I guess. It was huge and came in a large green wooden box. Recall building a similar crane to this....

Meccano_No7_Instructions_(front).jpg

Did some impressive stuff but never did anything quite as good as this as displayed in a museum in Madrid....

Meccano_locomotive.jpg

Yep that was the theory that you could build something like that, assuming you had a degree in engineering. In practice most of us could just about join two straight bits together. Especially when we got these packs at the age five.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
3 minutes ago, Rare Bear said:

Encyclopedia Britannica for the formula for gunpowder. I've still got a scar on my hand from my first attempt when I was 9.

You are lucky. One of my friends had to become left handed after one of those experiments.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
13 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I'm waiting for my grandson to be old enough for a Mamod static steam engine. I remember the smell of lubricating oil and meths as if it were yesterday. I never got to grips with Meccano, though, no patience.

Relive the Victorian age of steam!;)

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived