House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Old fashioned toys

Every Xmas/birthday since born my young kids are given toys by 60yr old relatives that really need to be consigned to the history books...

Jigsaws by the dozen, pick up sticks, sewing kits, cross stitch, flower press, French knitting doll

Please stop! It's nearly 2017!

Just to add... The relatives follow the kids round the house with said you trying to persuade them to play it. FFS give up! He wants to make something out of Lego... Leave him alone!

Another new but crap toy is aqua beads... Child arranges coloured beads onto a mat to form a pattern or picture. You then spray in water and SEVERAL HOURS LATER the beads stick to each other and the design can be removed. Several problems... Kids don't want to wait that long for something so crap. Parent has to do the water bit as it often fails.

There is an alternative which uses a hot iron instead of water! Perfect!

They still like drawing, and colouring in with pens, pencils and paper - amazingly.

I might upload my "Star wars Christmas" scene later.

I'm not suggesting that your kids are like this but what are you supposed to buy children the sum of whose hobbies comprises watching YouTube videos and playing video games?

My criteria are something of reasonable size to unwrap and it being something I would have like to receive; I have no expectation that it will draw much attention away from their watching the latest Minecraft video.

48 minutes ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

Every Xmas/birthday since born my young kids are given toys by 60yr old relatives that really need to be consigned to the history books...

Jigsaws by the dozen, pick up sticks, sewing kits, cross stitch, flower press, French knitting doll

Guess they man well, and it is maybe things they remember fondly, but I wonder how they themselves would feel if someone got them a metal hoop with stick.

There are so many great books around, and musical instruments too.

22 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I'm not suggesting that your kids are like this but what are you supposed to buy children the sum of whose hobbies comprises watching YouTube videos and playing video games?

My criteria are something of reasonable size to unwrap and it being something I would have like to receive; I have no expectation that it will draw much attention away from their watching the latest Minecraft video.

I still give old fashioned presents to young children. Lego, flower press, a lot of what Kiwi mentioned. Gardening stuff, painting, drawing etc. For me the secret to getting them to enjoy them is to spend quality time showing, helping them to do whatever it is they are doing. Making it fun. Granted Christmas day is not the best time to do that. Never came across a child who wasn't thrilled by making something then being praised for their accomplishments. Over 12's are harder. I now give them vouchers to paint ball days, go karting or trampolining sessions, tickets to a rugby game or something which I will then take them to (like a gift for the parents too).

It's a hard one but I think we are all a bit guilty of forgetting that it is the thought that counts.    

43 minutes ago, Frank Hovis said:

I give their parents some money to take the sprogs to cinema in January. If said parents spend it on gin instead, I have no objections as doubtless the kids won't notice. 

A few years ago I had one of my relatives and their two kids to stay for Christmas. Both kids had a massive i.e. taller than them sack of presents plus big presents that wouldn't actually fit inside. Most got looked at for the duration of opening the wrapping and then put aside until the next one to be unwrapped. To say the kids were overstimulated would be an understatement. 

Each trip into town resulted in yet more toys - the boy insisted on accompanying his mum into the Poundland and came out with yet another toy car 5 mins later. 

Complete waste of money. 

15 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

Board games. The classics are best.

02f15861744f8929257b66f21d6de473.jpg

Even the artwork is creepy.

as is the number of players and the age range!

4 hours ago, Kiwi_Muncher said:

Kids need non-electronic hobbies. They need to learn to do things that involve manual dexterity not using a controller. And some basic skills like sewing are not bad.
Jigsaws are a lovely hobby. 
I feel sorry for kids who can't appreciate them or aren't going to be shown to appreciate them!

29 minutes ago, SarahBell said:

Kids need non-electronic hobbies. They need to learn to do things that involve manual dexterity not using a controller. And some basic skills like sewing are not bad.
Jigsaws are a lovely hobby. 
I feel sorry for kids who can't appreciate them or aren't going to be shown to appreciate them!

As someone with appalling manual dexterity I still treasure the few hand made things I produced as a kid including some rafia work I produced at primary school. That tray has lasted decades in continuous use. Most of the electronic toys will be consigned to a local dump within a couple of years. Unusually for  a male I was taught to sow at school and have found that elementary skill useful over the years. If civilisation crashes and burns the ability to play computer games, search on Google or watch YouTube is going to be b*gger all use to you. Manual abilities are real skills and should not be underrated.

1 hour ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

As someone with appalling manual dexterity I still treasure the few hand made things I produced as a kid including some rafia work I produced at primary school. That tray has lasted decades in continuous use. Most of the electronic toys will be consigned to a local dump within a couple of years. Unusually for  a male I was taught to sow at school and have found that elementary skill useful over the years. If civilisation crashes and burns the ability to play computer games, search on Google or watch YouTube is going to be b*gger all use to you. Manual abilities are real skills and should not be underrated.

Interestingly, my grandfather tought my mother to knit.

Guns and crossbows for boys. Roadkill cooking set and taxidermy kit for girls.

My daughter has just had her first Christmas. At 3mths, she is too young to appreciate anything. 

My wife loves wooden toys so we bought daughter a train set. It'll be ace after a couple more christmases of expanding it, at which point she'll be old enough to appreciate it. 

I kept hold of most most of my old lego so we will drip feed that to her year by year. Each set seems to be worth about £100 on eBay but the new equivalents (made from about 5 custom pieces rather than 2x4 blocks) seem to be about the same. 

Lego is a good toy, because you have to make what you want out of it. You don't have to be a wannabe civil engineer just to have fun.

Nowt wrong with old-fashioned gifts.

My seven grand-bairns loved un-wrapping their Toc H Lamps on Christmas morning...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

9 minutes ago, happy_renting said:

51NYQMiq1uL.jpg

hmmm... I wonder where they got the idea for Tetris from?

Probably from the bloke that did my wall.