TV Boxset Series You've Abandoned

SNACR

HOLA441

For me:

The Wire

The Sopranos

Sons of Anarchy

Dexter - didn't mind the first season but couldn't face another 

Gommorah - although reassuring to find promoting employee loyalty by making them drink your piss is a thing

Then there's been a few like Californication and Good Wife I've only abandoned a good few seasons down the line when it feels like they've gone off the boil.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

The Wire (see other thread)

The Sopranos (not really my thing)

Game of Thrones (lavishly shot but exceedingly dull)

Dexter (borderline, that one - just not quite enough to stick with it)

Entourage (I'm not really sure who that's for)

The Walking Dead (hits a high in season 3, really very good, then has nothing new to offer, kept going longer than we should and got to the start of season 6)

HOLA444

Yes, I also made the mistake of thinking there must be something worth seeing with Entourage as there were so many seasons.

I still watch Walking Dead but it's definitely struggling to reach the high points of earlier seasons.

HOLA445
2 hours ago, Rave said:

I only made it halfway through season 2 of Breaking Bad, I'm ashamed to say. Might carry on with it at some point.

The bigger payoffs for watching definitely come more and more each later season as Walt gets higher up the drug kingpin food chain. Possibly worth persevering just to get to the episodes with Todd in who rivals Pennywise the clown, the child catcher, from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and David Walliams as the creepiest thing ever to grace the TV screen.

HOLA446

Having just got Sky a few weeks ago and intending to spend the winter watching box sets... this is a well-timed thread. However, I have not bothered to watch any yet. I just do not have the time to spend watching hours and hours of this stuff.

I started to watch Games of Thrones - not a box set but being shown on a Sky channel - and got bored with the repetitive nature of it. It seems like dungeons & dragons with a r*pe thrown in every 10 or 15 minutes.

I started watching Westworld - also with lots of r*pe and killing - but got fed up with it by the third episode.

I like Tom Selleck so am considering his 'Blue Bloods' or whatever it is called.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Two that have already been mentioned more than once:

Sons of Anarchy: started with such promise but rapidly descended into an uncredible half hour soap opera on Harleys mostly revolving around the dull blonde character, presumably to get the women viewers in.

Game of Thrones: everybody seems to hit the point where one wilfully annoying main character death becomes one too many. Series six did it for me I think.

Near misses:

Dexter: I nearly abandoned it during the rubbish Trinity / John Lithgow series but stuck with it and it improved. It was never a classic but was mostly very watchable.

Breaking Bad had the odd period of losing its way for a few episodes but overall it was superb and didn't just trail off at the end but went out on a satisfying high; I would encourage anybody who abandoned it to have another go.

HOLA4411

I abandoned both Dexter and Californication at the end of the penultimate series. I'll get back to Californication at some point, but with Dexter, there was one episode where about half way through I suddenly thought 'why am I watching this shite'. It jumped the shark in series 3 or 4 when he almost got caught but got away. Must be the most inept forensic department in the world. They need to get the CSI boys in.

I abandoned a series called black sails after episode 2. Was reccomended to me, but it was just awful.

HOLA4412

Another vote for game of thrones.  Could not even get through the first series.  Just dull, but agree with the comment upthread that the scenery is breathtaking 

thevreason why many of these series fail imho, is that they try and develop a story.  Whereas, those series that just kept going, that I remember from my youth (probably get corrected here as memory fails the the were not produced for as long as I remember) such as mash, hill street blues focused on a different story every episode and on the human angle

HOLA4413

The best series have stories running over different time frames.

Breaking Bad was excellent for this. There was the long story of the under appreciated chemistry teacher becoming the drug godfather of the south, then you had (say) the break up of his marriage over a series, then you had individual story episodes.  It was great and it worked.

Dr Who did similar with the long arc stories like Bad Wolf, though these were more hints to the series finale rather than a evolving story.

Going back I liked Buffy but that did suffer from a lack of coherence, where it had really strong standalone episodes which didn't fit the pattern of the series and so took you out of the overall "world" that you entered when you settled down to watch it.

HOLA4414

Westworld is developing into a great series so far.

GoT has one too many story arcs going on, and some of them are badly done. I'll still be watching it though. 

Couldnt get into Outcast or the Following. Walking dead seems to be going through a much needed reboot.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Mr Robot, the second series. 

I was so lost when the second series started. I couldn't remember what happened in the first series so gave up. 

Started watching Lucifer on Prime the other day. It's utter carp. 

HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Frank Hovis said:

The best series have stories running over different time frames.

Breaking Bad was excellent for this. There was the long story of the under appreciated chemistry teacher becoming the drug godfather of the south, then you had (say) the break up of his marriage over a series, then you had individual story episodes.  It was great and it worked.

Dr Who did similar with the long arc stories like Bad Wolf, though these were more hints to the series finale rather than a evolving story.

Going back I liked Buffy but that did suffer from a lack of coherence, where it had really strong standalone episodes which didn't fit the pattern of the series and so took you out of the overall "world" that you entered when you settled down to watch it.

Sopranos was immense for this as well. 

HOLA4418

I really liked the Wire but I didn't get past season 3. Just sort of stopped watching it. If it was available to stream I'd pick it back up, but I'm not motivated enough to pay for the DVD's.

Only managed one season of both GoT and Breaking Bad, neither appealed to me at all. 

Currently watching Person of Interest, it's actually a little bit odd. It's played serious but it sort of has these cheese 80's vibe I can't quite explain. The main character (or one of two) is just way too odd. 

Also watching series two of The Missing the first series was excellent, even if the ending was a big let down, this series seems to be developing to a decent climax so hopefully they learnt from the first. 

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
12 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

The Killing (original Danish one). Made it to the end of the first series somehow, but honestly couldn't see what all the fuss was about. Plotline seemed a bit Scooby Doo to me.

Not see that but have watched all three series of the Bridge. 

I think the problem with those is it's virtually impossible to concentrate on a single crime for 24 episodes without it going down a load of blind alleys. The first series of the Bridge for example spend a good 50% of the first 5 or 6 episodes focusing on what turned out to be a character and story that went nowhere and had no relation to the crime at all. 

HOLA4421
12 minutes ago, gilf said:

Not see that but have watched all three series of the Bridge. 

I think the problem with those is it's virtually impossible to concentrate on a single crime for 24 episodes without it going down a load of blind alleys. The first series of the Bridge for example spend a good 50% of the first 5 or 6 episodes focusing on what turned out to be a character and story that went nowhere and had no relation to the crime at all. 

Pretty much the same as The Killing then. Just felt a bit cheated having invested 20 hours of my life watching it!

Another one we've come to a standstill with is House of Cards (the Kevin Spacey one, not the superb original). First two series were gripping, but the third seemed to lose itself in reverence. The Pussy Riot episode especially almost resulted in a brick being lobbed through the TV...

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
16 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Pretty much the same as The Killing then. Just felt a bit cheated having invested 20 hours of my life watching it!

Another one we've come to a standstill with is House of Cards (the Kevin Spacey one, not the superb original). First two series were gripping, but the third seemed to lose itself in reverence. The Pussy Riot episode especially almost resulted in a brick being lobbed through the TV...

A well worn rant of mine but, that's the curse of American TV. Successful shows are profitable and so get dragged out far longer that the writers can sustain. 

Doesn't happen with UK shows and the some of the best American shows, Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos have managed to break the formula and be considered the best of all time. 

HOLA4424
14 minutes ago, Hail the Tripod said:

Prison break. Season 1 was unbelievably good, season 2 was weak, season 3 was ludicrous and i gave up 5 episodes in.

Well that's the problem I just described personified. A TV series about somebody escaping form Prison, one excellent season is all that was needed to tell the story. 

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Turned Out Nice Again said:

Never stuck with any of them. Latest was the JFK  time travel one, even though that was only 1 series. It got silly after about episode 3.

Watched the whole 1st series of the bridge. Gave up on series 2 after episode 1.

11.22.63 - I really liked that one.

There was a mention for "Black Sails" - if it's the one I'm thinking of, it was a bit like Game of Thrones at sea with pirates in it.

And Julian Bashir. I just can't see that actor in any other role.

Archived