House Price Crash Forum

New washing machine anxiety

HOLA441

I do wonder if having the internet, and associated availability of too much info makes purchases more stressful now!

Anyway ... washing machine packed up on sunday, 10yr old basic model, cost £200 ish. Didn't bother repairing (new PCB would be £120 ish) as felt it wasn't worth the expense.  New machine purchased (after hours of comparing electricitywater consumption, load capacity, etc etc).

So ... we live in a very hard water area ... do I add Calgon (or similar to every wash)? Or just run a limescale remover through the machine once a month? The costs of calgon daily versus monthly limescale treatment are almost identical. So I guess the main question is whether daily calgon means less electricity is used to heat the water, and the inner workings are not damaged by limescale build up?

And, oh lord, fabric softener ... all a big con? Any benefit? Allegedly keeps clothes less creased .... and I do like a nice crisp work shirt!

I feel like I should be posting this on mumsnet..... :):):)

HOLA442

Regarding fabric softener, it definitely makes a difference with towels. Don't know about ironing as I have not done any for nearly 20 years now. But I would experiment and see what the results are.

Limescale takes months/years to build up before it becomes a problem.  A monthly hot wash with white vinegar, soda crystals etc will be enough to keep your machine sweet. 

Chances are that it will not be limescale build up that eventually kills your machine. 

Regarding purchases, it helps if you give your leisure time a monetary value. An hour researching = £30+ in my mind. I start with the cheapest brands and work up. Missus likes a big TV and I've found the bottom end of the market perfectly acceptable in terms of picture quality, longevity and energy efficiency.  TVs also tend to have problems in the first few weeks, and then last for years if they survive that time. 

Washing machines I go for long guarantees, reviews that mention reliability and energy efficiency. I think our Samsung has a five year guarantee. I chose the vendor on the basis they would take away the old one. 

Computers. When you use something for 10+ hours day - I prioritise good experience, reliability and customer support. For me, that means Lenovo Thinkpads or Apple.

Increasingly, I'll shop at Amazon because the customer service has been exceptional. 

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

I once asked my dad, who was a water chemist, analysed water from all over the world and recommended treatments for water used for dyeing the cotton industry. 

Yes Calgon (not supermarket brands that are differently formulated) is worthwhile if the machine you're using is worth protecting.

if you bought a cheap washing machine it's probably not worth using as the amount you'll pay for Calgon will cost more than the machine costs to replace.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

If this was 1960 then I could understands the anxiety...126 guineas... just under  £3,000 adjusted for RPI probably about 10 grand adjusted for wages.  That reminds guineas was one of my nominations for words we don't use anymore.

would have stuck to one of these back then.....

2690.jpg

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I hate to say it but buy German stuff, Bosch or Siemens (unless they start making them in China).

I worked for 4 years dealing with "extended warranties" at the largest private company at the time, we would get 100-200 Hotpoint repairs a week and something like 1-3 Bosch a MONTH for stuff under 4 years old.

Of course people bought the cheaper machines in higher numbers, but still...

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
8 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

would have stuck to one of these back then.....

2690.jpg

Ah - a "poss tub"..!

There was one of those in my granda's shed.

Right next to the tin-bath - underneath which you'd discover a pile of black-and-white jazz-mags containing naked ladies with air-brushed fannies...

XYY

The dog's kennel is not the place to keep a sausage - Danish proverb

HOLA4416
14 minutes ago, The XYY Man said:

Ah - a "poss tub"..!

There was one of those in my granda's shed.

Right next to the tin-bath - underneath which you'd discover a pile of black-and-white jazz-mags containing naked ladies with air-brushed fannies...

XYY

I always remember finding jazz mags left in the wood etc. Youngsters have it so easy now, don't have to leave the house, just type into Google.

HOLA4417
1 minute ago, Reebo said:

I always remember finding jazz mags left in the wood etc. Youngsters have it so easy now, don't have to leave the house, just type into Google.

Agreed Reebs - the bushes in our local park were full of well-thumbed "art-pamphlets"..!

;)

XYY

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Asked the then Comet repair man what were the machines he had the least call outs to becauss all I wanted was a dryer that would last more than 3 years and he said LG. But then he paraphrased that by saying just get the cheapest one and throw it away as they all mostly have the same parts in them anyway.

We typically getting through a tunble dryer one every 3-4 years and a washing machine every 5-6 years and do 2-3 loads a day so we batter them to death.

Indesits are my favourites as I can fix them myself now and the parts are very cheap if bought online, typically bearings and water inlet valves.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
14 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

Asked the then Comet repair man what were the machines he had the least call outs to becauss all I wanted was a dryer that would last more than 3 years and he said LG. But then he paraphrased that by saying just get the cheapest one and throw it away as they all mostly have the same parts in them anyway.

We typically getting through a tunble dryer one every 3-4 years and a washing machine every 5-6 years and do 2-3 loads a day so we batter them to death.

Indesits are my favourites as I can fix them myself now and the parts are very cheap if bought online, typically bearings and water inlet valves.

I generally buy Aristons - but I think they are Hotpoint now. I have one that is 11 years old, we do around 4 washes a week, hard water area, no Calgon, perfect. Have another sitting in the garage in reserve just in case. I've just replaced a 20 year old Ariston in a rental property, pcb had burned out, 2 minutes on Curries to find something comparable.

Siemens are good though. Miele, not so sure, know quite a few people who have had expensive repairs.

HOLA4423
15 minutes ago, ChewingGrass said:

So your white-goods guru worked for the now defunct chain of "Comet" stores then Chewy...?

"Hoisted" and "Petard" come to mind....

;)

XYY

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
2 hours ago, ChewingGrass said:

The cheap machines typcially have sealed drums, so if a bearing goes, its cheaper to replace the machine...

I'd go for LG, Samsung and perhaps Grundig for good mid-rangeish machines...They all come with five year warranties too, so you know that they'll last five years..

Archived