HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

As per the Skipton website, Moody's (Baa2) and Fitch (A-) both think that Skipton are only one small misadventure from losing their investment grade credit rating.

I've had a few aquaintences, social or professional, who worked in various everyday white collar (IT, operations, business analysis) roles in the small to medium lenders in West Yorkshire - YBS, B&B, LBS, Skipton - individually and collectively they have always been hpi bulls, right to the bitter end, wth their own family breakdowns on the alter of property ownership, as well as institutional in the case of B&B or all of them in the case of government bailouts. I suspect that they believe B&B, NR implemented a good business model badly rather than there being anything intrinsically wrong with forever zirp. Edited by Si1

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

The strength of the Society is further enhanced through its estate agency operations, Connells, that operates under a number of different brands including Connells, William H Brown, Barnard Marcus, Sharman Quinney and Peter Alan. In 2015, Connells acquired Gascoigne Halman estate agents and made a number of other small acquisitions of estate agency or letting businesses. Connells reported strong profits from the sale of houses, lettings, surveys and valuations and mortgage services and we believe it is well positioned to continue generating strong profits that support the Society.

Source: Skipton 2015 annual report, emphasis added.

Edited by Bland Unsight

HOLA4414

No 120% mortgages here lads, but they are lending 100% more than a house is worth.

What can possibly go wrong.

Haha - yep. In my own definition of value/worth, if someone is taking a 90% mortgage in parts of the SE, the mortgage is 360% of the value of the home!

(320k house that's really 'worth' around 80k, 32k deposit, 288k loan).

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Our strategic objectives are to grow our mortgage and savings business, provide high quality financial advice, and maintain a significant presence in estate agency through the Connells group, in order to generate profits that can be used to strengthen the Society’s capital position for the benefit of members.

Source: Skipton, 2016 HY financial report

"Capital position". The society is a legal entity and it has its own money. When it lends, it lend this money and money it has borrowed from its members (i.e. customer deposits) and the Skipton also borrows a little from other sources.

If lender's capital position is weak it means that if lots of its loans sour, the society's ability to cover losses with its own money is fairly limited and serious losses would impair its ability to give depositors their money back, should they want it back.

I love the idea that a mutual has lent adventurously enough that they feel, as they say themselves, that it might be wise to "strengthen" their capital position.

Given that almost all the money that they've lent is lent against residential property it's quite amusing that the game plan to sort things out is to get into the estate agency game.

I guess this means you could be someone who wanted to own a home but had a BTL investor armed with a Skipton mortgage outbid you for the house. If you then ended up renting that same house you might have ended up paying out hundreds of pounds of fees to a Skipton group letting agent.

71126160.jpg

HOLA4417

Wow, didn't know they owned EAs. Interesting - guess if they help keep lending going that keeps transactions up for their EA operation!

The mutuals have made a lot of 'compromises' on their founding principles since the mortgage market was opened up to all and sundry (including the clearing banks) back in the 1980s. If you're an executive at a mutual I am sure these compromises make perfect sense. For an outsider looking to get a house for less than a kidney and the soul of your first born, these compromises are perhaps a bit more problematic

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Wow, didn't know they owned EAs. Interesting - guess if they help keep lending going that keeps transactions up for their EA operation!

A lot of the banks/finance companies own chains of EAs.

Should be illegal.

No one buying should use them.

The UK is the most corrupt place on earth AFAIKS

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I know they owned EAs but I didnt realise it was so many.

Talking about a conflict of interest.

Salvador Dali imagined a Tower of Babel being constructed from the top down with labourers on each floor extracting nourishment from the defecations of the floor above.

He could equally have been describing the UK economy.

HOLA4424

£1,995 fee for a 2year fix.

Does the BTL'r just roll that into the loan every 2 years? I need to do some capital repayment sums. Or are they Interest only?

Last time I saw legit numbers, about 80% of BTL is on interest-only terms. Every time I've checked on these 'deals' the option to capitalise the fee (i.e. roll it into the loan as you suggest) exists.

I've never seen any numbers on what proportion of BTL borrowers capitalise fees in this way, but neither have I looked very hard or very often.

HOLA4425

£1,995 fee for a 2year fix.

Does the BTL'r just roll that into the loan every 2 years? I need to do some capital repayment sums. Or are they Interest only?

Worth bearing in mind volumes of BTL remortgaging are usually comparable to or greater than the volumes of new loans for purchase. BTL is festival of fees for the lenders and this move to a treadmill of 2 year fixes must be generating a lot of income.