House Price Crash Forum

Jeremy Corbyn Has A Really Cr@p House

HOLA441

A bit of light relief.......in all the shock and trauma of the last week, the one thing I can't get over is how rubbish Komrade Corbyn's house looks every morning as the press jostle to bombard him with resignation questions.

35C64B8C00000578-3664370-image-m-50_1467

If an Englishman's home is his castle, then this is as non-aspiration as it gets. More elephant and castle than windsor castle, although I believe its Islington. My scientific measurement skills estimate a max room width of 4.4 Corbyns wide, significantly less width than an average or even decent livable house, and far far less than the non-metric, more well-known unit of width of 4.4 Boris Johnstons. The windows look single glazed, the garden tiny and it looks like one of those houses where the front door opens into the living room.

Jeremy has been in constant employment on a generous salary (with expenses++) for over 32 years, and lived in the days when houses cost very little relative to salaries and there were no student loans or fees. Either he doesn't care about money to collect/save it (his work appearance might suggest this) or he is very very incompetent with money and life planning (his work performance might suggest this). Or house prices are mad in London, and he missed the Boat.

How are the young supposed to care about their future, in or out the EU, when a 32 year continuous career resulting in one of the top leadership posts in your field gets you this in London..............

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I noticed that too. The state of the garden in particular - there's no excuse is there? His wife has said he's a bit of a slob around the house but surely it wouldn't take more than 30 minutes to clean that up.

HOLA445
HOLA446

35C64B8C00000578-3664370-image-m-50_1467

Jeremy has been in constant employment on a generous salary (with expenses++) for over 32 years, and lived in the days when houses cost very little relative to salaries and there were no student loans or fees. Either he doesn't care about money to collect/save it (his work appearance might suggest this) or he is very very incompetent with money and life planning (his work performance might suggest this). Or house prices are mad in London, and he missed the Boat.

Wow, that is what I would call an MP slavebox. Those "houses" resemble the size of those hireable storage units you find in warehouses. Still, if it's Islington, it's probably worth over £1,000,000 (literally). Sad state of affairs. You could buy an entire housing estate of detached houses with gardens in Thailand for that (if you had the permission to).

HOLA447

Not really. I admire him for not being materialistic if anything. Plus he's been divorced twice, so that would surely account for a lot of it. As per OP's description, it's just a bit of light-hearted fun :)

According to something i read online, it's worth about £600k, but I don't know where that figure originates.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Had a quick look and found the address, but not sure if I should post it here. Looks like the neighbour sold freehold for £320k a few years ago, so in the eternally wise words of thewig, anyone who doesn't pay more than that and set a new becnhmark for the postcode is a racist. Therefore it must be worth at least £700k now. Before any 'cheeky' 20% brexundering discount, of course.

Edit: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=31022743&sale=47145809&country=england

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Yup, like it too. See similar designs nationwide, from an era when people gave a toss about interior space. Big windows too. Yup, definitely an idiot in 2016 UK.

It's the sort of house I would like to buy, but ideally on a run where they're well-kept, and would prefer tiled-sloping to flat-roof.

They can look quite appealing (from my point of view) and would have preferred to see many more such houses built last couple of decades. Sadly too few indy developers these days. Squeezed out by VI too-big-to-fail VI developers, imo - invited to Gov talks on housing future.

BTW - I'm still got the same fondness of such houses as back when I was a teenager.

3 storey townhouses with the white trim.

Ok, they lack the character, elaborate trim of many period houses... but for practical living, I think they're very good, and they still have something of an appealing look to me. I'd rather have one of those houses, although in a different area, than almost all mid-market newbuilds I've seen built during the boom and in recent years.

Don't think I'd hesitate to buy such a 3-floor house if one came up in one of my target areas for a deal at the right price, although you don't see many such houses. There are funky cool to me. I like these in Prestbury, but it's too far out for me (and too close to the water for my liking), and from what I can tell is flat-roof, which is a no-go for me. http://www.rightmove...y-41087578.html

I'm a fan of those townhouses too, they're usually good value for money. Pity the wife isn't as she's not a fan of a first floor kitchen (amongst other things).

Close family went to look at this rental but chose to stay in Manchester city centre for a few more months.

aH4Pzab6.jpg

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Interesting responses.

It looks like two divorces, together with a lack of 'climbing the ladder' over the years (maybe through not being financially-orientated) have created this anomaly where one of the most established and senior figures in UK politics (as of 7.30am on 30 June, at least!), with high net career earnings and connections, owns a house we can probably all agree is below his status.

It says a lot about the man, in many ways. I would have expected his role to involve a lot of hosting of visitors, smoozing donors and meetings out of the public eye etc. A decent house with a meeting room or dining room would facilitate this. As would a house with decent security - not a 2 foot garden Boris Johnston held an improptu meeting of his MP supporters at his home just yesterday, as a contrast to what can be done with a decent house for hosting people. Clearly Corbyn doesnt do this (I need to do this occasionally in my very different and less senior life - relationships with potential funders/collaborators/clients need to be fostered, especially if they are visiting from oversees).

It's very odd.

HOLA4422

I think the shock is that we all have picture of how the leader of the opposition should live. His career has consisted of public service for his entire life. Can you imagine someone currently in their twenties in a similar job being able to afford that home? I can't.

HOLA4423

Yes I noticed that on the news, but thought it's just his rental home in London, has he got a second house in the country? but of course his constituency is Islington.

So I think, indeed he is a man of the people, the real deal living in amongst the community that he represents, pity his comrades are turning on him right now.

Then I saw Hilary Benn, the man he had just sacked, walking through what seemed like a posher front door (location not known). And then other MPs all with better looking kerbside appeal houses.

Re: 70s 'town' houses, I have lived in one (not in London) and you can bet the party walls will be paper thin.

I expect next doors will be BTLs - rented out to KGB agents with tape recorders like in that television series!

HOLA4424

And that is why he must go.

I can't see anything wrong with it....does the job.I think he should start his own political party and let the blairites/tory party move up the ladder to do what they have always done.;)

HOLA4425
Guest TheBlueCat

I like him for his lack of materialism, it's very HPC in fact. That doesn't mean he's a not total nut job in most other ways though.

Archived