House Price Crash Forum

A Day At Birdworld

DTMark

HOLA441

As it was a glorious sunny day we thought we'd spend it at our local bird zoo, BirdWorld in Farnham, Surrey.

You can get so close to, and in some cases touch, the birds - they're incredibly tame.

They have quite a collection of rare and endangered species and given that I know a few are into bird-watching I thought I'd post a few pictures of the day. In that boring kind of way that people do and you think "You had to be there".. still, if you're into birds, you might like these.

Feeding glossy starling:

IMG_0485_zpshs4e7ylp.jpg

Feeding Laughing Thrush:

IMG_0436_zpsvdgileye.jpg

The star of the day - a Hornbill of some kind with a beak like a pair of garden shears. I didn't risk putting my fingers into the cage with this one:

IMG_0489_zpsx6luchqk.jpg

And, finally, feeding some kind of toucans, I think - I ought to have tagged the photos as I went so I could recall what they were. They liked the mealworms anyway.

HOLA442

The last one is a rhinoceros hornbill from south east Asia. Long story, but I used to live in Borneo and would often see these. They would fly in flocks and you'd often hear the sound of the air through there wings before you saw them.

Magnificent birds. Tastes a bit like swan.

HOLA443

Nice pics of a bird eating your worm.

I've often seen the signs to "Birdworld" but have never been tempted to call in - your pics make it seem much more interesting than I'd imagined. Not that I'm hugely interested in birds or zoos (at least, not now the children have grown up).

For birds, I look out of the window. I've noticed goldfinches a lot recently. V colourful.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Up high on the Purbecks yesterday at a stone mason's yard Open Day affair. Swallows were nesting in their buildings and I watched the birds swooping in under the eaves to feed their young. Got a close look at them.

Interesting rundown on the birds' habits from the lady selling tea and cakes to visitors, and had a chat with a stone carver who told me his direct ancestors had been masons on the building of Corfe Castle!

Swallows were the highlight of the visit, however.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

On Saturday I had a blackbird perched on the back of a chair by the window hopping about and looking at me. I guessed he wanted the birdbath refilling so I did that.

Ten minutes later he's happily splashing about so that was what he wanted.

Sat in the garden Sunday afternoon and he brings along three fledglings for their first nervous bath; they were squabbling away six feet from me.

Very clever birds, though not as clever as jackdaws.

HOLA4412

On Saturday I had a blackbird perched on the back of a chair by the window hopping about and looking at me. I guessed he wanted the birdbath refilling so I did that.

Ten minutes later he's happily splashing about so that was what he wanted.

Sat in the garden Sunday afternoon and he brings along three fledglings for their first nervous bath; they were squabbling away six feet from me.

Very clever birds, though not as clever as jackdaws.

Our resident robin has a particular "face" that says "The seed hopper needs refilling".

Blackbirds have a particular trick I've seen played many times.

If you throw some grapes into the garden and a blackbird spots them, it will utter an alarm call that sends all the other birds scattering.

Once they've gone, it has the grapes to itself.

HOLA4413

Our resident robin has a particular "face" that says "The seed hopper needs refilling".

Blackbirds have a particular trick I've seen played many times.

If you throw some grapes into the garden and a blackbird spots them, it will utter an alarm call that sends all the other birds scattering.

Once they've gone, it has the grapes to itself.

Simple pleasures are the best :)

HOLA4414

Actually, thinking back a few years, we had a female blackbird that became semi-tame in that she would approach you if you held out grapes to her.

We didn't quite get to the stage where she would take them from your hand, but we did find her in the kitchen once eating the grapes from the fruit bowl.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Simple pleasures are the best :)

Blackbirds sunbathe too. I've one that spends ages, lying on the garden path. Flat to the ground, and wings outstretched. First time I saw it, I thought it was injured or dead. But just seems to do it for pleasure.

HOLA4419

The parrots/cockatoos speak. As soon as you go near them they say "Hello" (very clearly) and come to the front of the cage and put their head down to invite you to tickle them. A short clip..

Yeah...first time I heard them I thought some blokes were having a laugh...

HOLA4420

Blackbirds sunbathe too. I've one that spends ages, lying on the garden path. Flat to the ground, and wings outstretched. First time I saw it, I thought it was injured or dead. But just seems to do it for pleasure.

Others have noted this too:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/community/wildlife/f/13609/p/82953/559296.aspx

My suspicion is that they're exposing an area near their tail which you can see - a "bulb" of exposed skin right in the centre towards the end of the feathers, which brings them pleasure when the sun heats it up.

One for Chris Packham to answer on Springwatch.. I don't have a Facebook account (BBC site says send in questions via Facebook), but if anyone fancies asking Chris..

https://www.facebook.com/BBCSpringwatch

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I was under the impression that they do that while having a "dust bath".

HOLA4424

Blackbirds love sun bathing....mrs brown blackbird was doing that yesterday on the shed roof, bliss....others chasing each other all over the place......lots of little ones about at the moment, chirping for food, parents not far away ready to oblige, great tits, gold finches and chaffinches......wood pigeons making lots of wing flapping noises......long-tail tits flying through.....

HOLA4425

I saw a rabbit sunbathing in our back garden a few years back and then its back leg started kicking as though it were having a dream. I called my young daughter over to have a look at the sweet rabbit on the lawn and then a crow came down and pecked its eye out.

Oi, stop spoiling the Beatrix Potterness of the thread.

Archived