House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Aristotle came up with the first classification of plants and animals based on what makes this creature "good". He used an example "what is a good knife"...it is sharp. That is its distinctive characteristic and he would look at all animals and decide what makes them, them; and that what makes them, them makes them most content and 'happy', to do what they are built to do - for a predator, it may be their teeth - hunting. For a human, it is his brain - thinking.

Is it the thinking that is most definitively human, or the sharing of thoughts? Instead of thinking, should it be talking, or perhaps the creation/appreciation of art?

HOLA445
Guest eight

I mean its use in the very broadest sense. That very importantly includes talking, music,art as I said the other day. Nourishment for the grey matter to help it be healthy. And in fact, the mere act of talking/communicating is essential or it will wither and cause problems.

Probably explains why all the geeky people I know are also the most "normal", despite mostly having pastimes that would see them being castigated as socially inadequate.

HOLA446

Probably explains why all the geeky people I know are also the most "normal", despite mostly having pastimes that would see them being castigated as socially inadequate.

Rubbing drain covers? TV programs for children used to encourage that!

HOLA447
HOLA448

Throughout most of recorded history, the role of men was to protect their women, the tribe/collective/property etc etc and to hunt/kill/provide stuff to ensure the best life for their offspring.

Hunting, killing, providing and sex are basically what men are built to do.

Male killer whales in captivity all end up with "dorsal fin collapse" as a result of their easy environment (http://marinelife.about.com/od/marinelife101/f/killerwhaledorsalfincollapse.htm). Maybe much of our key physiology and primary instinct wither in civilisation, leaving us with a nagging sense of "incompleteness".

HOLA449

If you think youre lonely its because you are. You have figured it out. You are nowt more then a serious of complicated (admittedly very complicated) chemical reactions going on for an amount of time that is either very long or very short. Who knows. The trick is not to think about it verymuch. Back in the day nobody had that much time to think it through so didn't get themselves into too much bother. The hyperbole that surrounds us these days about how deep, how spiritual, how satisfying life should be is relentless. I wonder how much the suicide rate increases after a facebook or microsoft windows advert is broadcast. Even someone as sanguine as me about life is briefly plunged into existentialist despair about my low level, friendless, unshiny, acheivement free life. Its only after having a word with myself, that I realise those adverts/shows are all bullsh1t and I truly give thanks for my low level, friend free, unshiny, acheivementless life.

As for the difference between male and female, I think the reality is different from the perception.

I worked a heavy industry male dominated on the tools job. And the amount of revealing soul baring conversations ive had with blokes who can barely grunt have been endless. Theres probably little I dont know about the deep feelings of blokes recovering from cancer/ divorce/family trauma/ extreme limerence/ unrisen soufflés/unrequited love for persons of the wrong sex etc etc.

As for my wife, who works in a caring female dominated job... the shallow, banal, mindless chat, interspersed with rivers of gossippy backstabbing she has to plow through everyday gets her seriously down.

And as unfashionable as it is these days to think this. I say man up, stop whining and get on with it. You have to live life as best you can, because as pointless as life is, its the only one you get and not being here is even more pointless.

Wow, things have change in the 20 odd years since I did a grunt work.

The only unrequited conversation I had related to shagging a woman with bigger t1ts than the one he had now.

HOLA4410

I agree with the man up approach. I reckon 90+% of supposedly 'depressed' people are nothing of the sort.

There's a study of remark that a psychologist work load drops to nothing when a work starts.

Loads of people, griping about little things.

HOLA4411

Solitary confinement is a serious punishment in prison. Being isolated is worse than being forced to live with the dregs of society. We are social animals obsessed with our position within our group(s). Isolation from our most natural groupings of close friends and wider family, by targeted policies to reduce reliance and refocus all considerations to the individual or national scale are probably largely responsible for the loneliness and dissatisfaction of our time.

Depends.

My cousin got himself in solidarity to get any from loons in his block.

HOLA4412

I go to church every 2 or 3 weeks. I never see anyone else in there on a weekday thank god.

Relaxing much.

I used to go to church, mid afternoon on weekday. It was closer than the library and I needed to study.

HOLA4413

Amen.

I find too many people who junked religion as teenagers because it wasn't cool, and then feel unable to go back to it until (in some cases) they get married and have kids.

But they have nothing with which to replace it and that leaves a void.

If you're as clever as Richard Dawkins then sheer rationalism can fill that void but most people need the spiritual consolation of teligion yet refuse to admit it.

Straying into ccc-topia but one of the surprising things Ive come across is that some of the women + girls who go to Church are hot.

When I was a kid the churchy people were ugly, buck-toothed imbred.

Saying that, Im not sure if the churchy type put out on the first date.

HOLA4414
Guest eight

Straying into ccc-topia but one of the surprising things Ive come across is that some of the women + girls who go to Church are hot.

When I was a kid the churchy people were ugly, buck-toothed imbred.

Saying that, Im not sure if the churchy type put out on the first date.

J-witnesses often seem to have a surprisingly tempting one among them.

HOLA4415

Use it or lose it.

(I'm going to completely blow any semblance of credibility by repeating my belief that there is a key missing part of evolution theory...that such "use it or lose" can to some extent be genetically remembered and passed down the generations (perhaps by seeing whether the gene has been turned on or not - there is certainly a lot of genetic matter lying dormant perhaps ready to be switched on in the future). I think evolution occurs much more quickly than the survival of the fittest of Darwin and can even include straight 'witherings' over fairly quick periods such as appendixes, wisdom teeth etc - both of which could result in death if not treated perhaps countering the 'selection' theory. It contains an element of hope too - in that with good nourishment of all kinds, we can become brighter in our own lives and down the generations despite unpromising starts)

Certainly the Russians were able to turn foxes into much more dog-like creatures within a couple of generations. Not merely mental changes, being tamer and the like, but actual physical changes too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_Domesticated_Red_Fox

HOLA4416

My theory ...which is mine and belongs to me is that humans can evolve 2 0r 3 times in a life time.

But mostly they don`t.

I`m currently conducting experiments with my cat. After 4 years I can now pick her up for 8 seconds before she panics.

HOLA4417

Certainly the Russians were able to turn foxes into much more dog-like creatures within a couple of generations. Not merely mental changes, being tamer and the like, but actual physical changes too.

Just let a farmed pig loose and it'll start turning into a wild boar in a matter of weeks apparently.

http://animals.mom.me/did-wild-pigs-become-domestic-6081.html

If a farm pig escapes and joins a group of wild pigs, the newcomer won't take years to start shedding habits acquired over millennia of domestication. According to Pennsylvania Game Commission veterinarian Dr. Walt Cottrell, pigs "take only 30 days to become literally wild." Appearance alone isn't a reliable way to identify a wild or feral hog -- some grow thick fur and look boarlike, others still look like farm pigs -- but males grow razor-sharp tusks from upper and lower canines.

HOLA4418

Wow, things have change in the 20 odd years since I did a grunt work.

The only unrequited conversation I had related to shagging a woman with bigger t1ts than the one he had now.

Yep. Thats what the average smoking shack conversation was like when I started offshore 20 years ago. It does get pretty dull listening to some dentally hygiene challenged rigger relaying his somewhat dubious/bullsh1t conquests all day long when hes not yacking on about what a legendry drinker hes is when hes not shagging. Yawn... but then it swung completely the other way. You were more likely to hear a recpie for really tender squid or the best skincare or hair product, money no object. Petrosexuals I used to call them.

Maybe it was just the ships I worked on. Maybe all the other workplaces are still full of real men.

HOLA4419

Where can I get one. Well a breeding pair at least.

I find the transformation of standard gorilla into the silverback quite interesting.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Yep. Thats what the average smoking shack conversation was like when I started offshore 20 years ago. It does get pretty dull listening to some dentally hygiene challenged rigger relaying his somewhat dubious/bullsh1t conquests all day long when hes not yacking on about what a legendry drinker hes is when hes not shagging. Yawn... but then it swung completely the other way. You were more likely to hear a recpie for really tender squid or the best skincare or hair product, money no object. Petrosexuals I used to call them.

Maybe it was just the ships I worked on. Maybe all the other workplaces are still full of real men.

Oil rigs are full of poncy effeminate blokes. Actually they are mostly all out of a job now. ^_^

HOLA4422

Oil rigs are full of poncy effeminate blokes. Actually they are mostly all out of a job now. ^_^

Not wrong there fella.

Including me.

The out of work bit not the poncy effeminate bit.....

Okay. go on then just a little bit mincey.

HOLA4423

Not wrong there fella.

Including me.

The out of work bit not the poncy effeminate bit.....

Okay. go on then just a little bit mincey.

I have a flame proof orange tutu, and steely toecapped slingbacks. ^_^

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Well I have a silver sparkling climbing harness.... really accentuates my buttocks, its to die for, really. Oh and a pink very shiney helmet.

I don't work for the oil business any more, and my buttocks are much the same as always. My green helmet is very special to me. I got a new sticker for every platform I went to. It's like a reminder. :huh: Men weren't lonely out there, just blurks!

Archived