House Price Crash Forum

Decline In Tv Licence Holding

Frank Hovis

HOLA441

I am going to hazard a guess that even if they have tv's that they watch live tv on that there are many who will plead ignorance of the need to get a licence or they are safe in the knowledge that no one will ever challenge them.

Ignorance has never been a defence - but I agree with you that a blind eye will be turned

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Broadcasting of TV by high powered transmitters is really past its sell by date. Most media will arrive by cable or the internet.

What could have been very high definition broadcasts of nice programs has been compromised by too many low quality jewelery and gambling channels. That's why I rarely watch it. Even the HD channels can look wobbly and compressed.

HOLA444
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA445
HOLA446

"The culture secretary pledged last month to rush forward legislation to close the so-called iPlayer loophole, which allows those who do not pay the £145.50 licence fee to access catch-up programming for free. Currently, a licence is only necessary for those who watch the corporations channels live."

Loop hole ? This was all in place BEFORE the iPLayer was introduced for ******s sake !! If they thought it was a problem then - they should have demanded a sign in from day one. What a bunch of numpties.

HOLA447

"The culture secretary pledged last month to rush forward legislation to close the so-called iPlayer loophole, which allows those who do not pay the £145.50 licence fee to access catch-up programming for free. Currently, a licence is only necessary for those who watch the corporations channels live."

Loop hole ? This was all in place BEFORE the iPLayer was introduced for ******s sake !! If they thought it was a problem then - they should have demanded a sign in from day one. What a bunch of numpties.

They made it open (same as freeview) intentionally so they could continue to make the case that it was a universal service that everyone uses, and so that the whole population should continue to get charged for it no matter what.

HOLA448
Guest eight

If they think people are "stealing" it why don't they just switch it off?

HOLA449

Mr Whittingdale will also ask the BBC to trial additional subscription services via the iPlayer, allowing viewers to pay extra to access hit shows such as The Night Manager or The Great British Bake Off outside of the 30-day catch-up window, in which programmes are currently available for free.

There are people that would pay extra for that drivel ? :blink:

HOLA4410

iPlayer has been like the equivalent of nicotine patches for smokers - a great tool for weaning yourself off the BBC.

We stopped having a licence a few years back and now realise that there are a few programs on iPlayer we actually bother catching up with. If they kill access to non-licence fee payers, I think we could cope perfectly well.

It's a big ole world out there - and there is plenty of good and free tv out there nowadays. Plus I reckon I'm down to around 6 hours a week on average anyhow.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

As ever, the minister fails to address the real problem. Free TV licences for the over-75s means a potential £650m in lost revenue. 400k households not paying for a licence because they only watch iPlayer online represents £65m in lost revenue.

Still, first rule of government is don't upset the oldies.

HOLA4413

As ever, the minister fails to address the real problem. Free TV licences for the over-75s means a potential £650m in lost revenue. 400k households not paying for a licence because they only watch iPlayer online represents £65m in lost revenue.

Still, first rule of government is don't upset the oldies.

The only problem is a politically correct broadcaster making loads of stuff nobody wants to watch and demanding that the public foots the bill.

Just close it.

HOLA4414

The only problem is a politically correct broadcaster making loads of stuff nobody wants to watch and demanding that the public foots the bill.

Just close it.

I'd maybe be a bit less drastic. Instead I'd sack 97% of the workforce and move the other 3% to Milton Keynes where they can make educational documentaries with the Open University to be uploaded to YouTube. Abolish the licence fee and take the money out of the education budget instead.

HOLA4415

Just close it.

What will happen to Radio 3, my chosen earful?

HOLA4416

After a week of nothing but BBC radio gushing about some 30 year old football stadium accident, simpering around a bunch of whinging junior doctors and then being morally outraged by someone being mildly rude about Israel (and then somehow managing to conflate that with anti semitism!?!!!)..

The sooner someone pulls the plug on this boring pressure group loudspeaker masquerading as a genuine news service the better

I honestly don't think I've actually heard anything genuinely newsworthy all week

[/rant]

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Please let it be so.

iPlayer has been like the equivalent of nicotine patches for smokers - a great tool for weaning yourself off the BBC.

Yup. I'm down to 2 shows and if they put a password over it I might buy one on blu-ray or just wait for them to turn up on Amazon much later. A service I'm happy to pay for. Either way I can't say I'm all that bothered.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Please let it be so.

Yup. I'm down to 2 shows and if they put a password over it I might buy one on blu-ray or just wait for them to turn up on Amazon much later. A service I'm happy to pay for. Either way I can't say I'm all that bothered.

I'm in a similar place. I've only been watching Line of Duty in recent weeks, Happy Valley before then and Doctor Who before that. I'll also cop to watching Night Manager - but that was bloody awful after a promising opening episode.

Out of those, I only consider Doctor Who essential and I buy the blu-ray anyhow. Otherwise the occasional documentary of interest pops up - but watching it is usually a disappointment as they tend to be fluff. There's more info in the average enthusiastic amateur's blog or youtube video and its quicker to access than a BBC documentary.

It helps that I don't watch any TV news or sport too.

HOLA4421

Good, I was down to watching HIGNFY once a week and even that was getting tiresome in its bias. I would suggest as a subscription service it might struggle, unless it was to put considerably more content on there.

Indeed, unwatchable now. The older episodes with Angus Deayton were pretty unbiased, they are available on Youtube. A thousand times funnier and sharper. Why aren't they on iPlayer?

The only programmes I watch on catchup are Louis Theroux, This Week, University Challenge and Gardeners' World. Literally nothing else on the BBC (or any channel) interests me.

HOLA4422

After a week of nothing but BBC radio gushing about some 30 year old football stadium accident, simpering around a bunch of whinging junior doctors and then being morally outraged by someone being mildly rude about Israel (and then somehow managing to conflate that with anti semitism!?!!!)..

The sooner someone pulls the plug on this boring pressure group loudspeaker masquerading as a genuine news service the better

I honestly don't think I've actually heard anything genuinely newsworthy all week

[/rant]

The anitsemitism on display in that story[1] is the implied assumption that jews in general bear some kind of allegiance to the state of Israel. Lots of politicians and pundits - not least the Prime Minister - did that in attacking the new labour MP. Of course the real agenda was anti-Corbyn.

Perhaps the real irony is that the most antisemitism I've seen comes from an organisation calling itself Campaign against antisemitism. They're a pillar of the SJW offence industry on a mission to find antisemitism. To help find it, they manufacture it. Hence a survey featuring questions like:

Does British Jews' loyalty to Israel make them less loyal to the UK?

Erm, excuse me? If we accept the premise of the question, we must either answer yes and be labelled antisemitic, or answer no and imply that loyalty to Israel and loyalty to the UK are 100% aligned. If we don't accept the CAA's blatantly antisemitic premise, we've implicitly refused to tell them whether we're antisemitic.

Have you stopped beating your wife? Yes or no?

[1] Setting aside Red Ken, who only entered the story long after the lines had been drawn.

HOLA4423

Current BBC News main story is a timely reminder of why I don't pay the telly tax. Of course Jewgate is a thinly veiled attack on Corbyn - so bloody what. It's politics. I don't recall the BBC ever running a similar article on any of the various Labour influenced anti Tory news items. Certainly not all day on a Sunday. What biased shite.

Archived