House Price Crash Forum

Iplayer To Go Behind Paywall (Or Be Made Illegal Without License)

libspero

HOLA441

I have no problem with a subscription model. If they make it "freely avalable" and then come to demand money for it, that is wrong. It may be available to me, but I don't want it thanks. :o

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Yes, agreed Mr Pin. I am not paying for propaganda dressed up as entertainment - it's as simple as that. Much of it i wouldn't watch even if they paid me.

I do wonder if the BBC and the Govt. have scored an own goal here though. When the Times disappeared behind a paywall - I never read it again. Now Murdoch probably doesn't lose any sleep over that. But the thing is - I don't know anyone else under the age of 70 who still reads it either. Essentially, the Times is doomed in the long term through lack of exposure. It'll probably die with Murdoch.

If I never watch any BBC again, then how does the establishment indoctrinate me like a good little citizen, and ditto the rest of the world. Again they probably don't lose any sleep about one person, but if millions of us start doing the same? Now they have a real problem as the BBC has been a great tool for establishing social norms over the last 70 years or so.

iPlayer has been the perfect tool to wean myself off the BBC. I haven't sat down and watched terrestrial TV for close on a decade. iPlayer lets me a pick and chose - and increasingly there are other competing services and opportunities which also let me pick and chose. As a result I don't watch any BBC news at all now, and I probably watch about an hour of their output per week on average otherwise. Kill iPlayer access and I'll watch none of it bar buying the odd Doctor Who blu-ray.

HOLA443

Which is exactly why they won't paywall access. Too many barriers to entry. They're ******ed and they know it. They'll simply add in 'using the iplayer' grounds for crapita to knock on the door, or worse still demand your ISP releases the data that shows you have/haven't used their services.

HOLA444

I'm a big DVD/Blu-Ray buyer. If I like the film/series. I'll buy it, then I'm sure Amazon or similar can supply, and then I have it to watch when I want even if the Internet goes off. Not a fan of subscription services. I've unplugged the ethernet connection for my "smart" TV as I don't know what information it is giving out. Also some "service" you got with it, is now deleted as from next month. I like to own the physical media, and not rely on streaming.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Please put it behind a paywall ,,,they can then see exactly how much they are worth...it will make PFI look like a good investment

Amen! You have entered the Piniverse. Careful. the carpets are a bit old, so don't trip up! :huh:

HOLA448
HOLA449

To be fair ad blockers are usually blocking network based ads. If a website has some good quality ads that it made by itself that then lead onto another site then that is much harder to block. So I don't mind people using ad blockers, I use it.

HOLA4410

Please put it behind a paywall ,,,they can then see exactly how much they are worth...it will make PFI look like a good investment

The BBC's TV output hasn't been the best in the world for around a decade now - perhaps it never was and we were simply brainwashed.

There are still the occasional gems. The first series of Happy Valley, for example.

HOLA4411

The BBC's funding method is like Council Tax. Now I realise I need to pay Council Tax, to keep the street lights off, and the pot holes in the road maintained at their full depth, and the rubbish not collected, but basically the funding method is out dated. I scarcely watch live TV, and I don't use iThings! Or iAnything. They can keep it for those that want it and issue a password with the TV license.

HOLA4412

I don't know.. my wife just bought the Downton Abbey box set.

Pretty sure that's grounds for divorce on the basis of unreasonable behavior :unsure:

If you have to watch it with her it would come under "cruel and unusual punishment" :-)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Erm, actually I don't.

If your only experience of the BBC was Top Gear and Dr Who then you would think it was a world-class broadcaster.

When you've had to sit through Homes under the Hammer, The One Show, EastEnders, Party Political Broadcasts masquerading as news, the televised Fabian society debate that is Question Time, and endless shows where people buy junk and sell it to other people at an auction then you realise that it is a festering pile of ullage that happens to have lucked in with a couple of decent programmes that would readily be made by ITV or Channel 4 if the whole money-frittering jamboree ceased to exist as of tomorrow.

HOLA4415

The BBC's TV output hasn't been the best in the world for around a decade now - perhaps it never was and we were simply brainwashed.

There are still the occasional gems. The first series of Happy Valley, for example.

Really? It was relatively good in the 60s + 70s - mainly because there was limited competition.

The last 20 years has shown how crp the BBC are.

At the moment, they just rip off ITV and whatever is popular.

Terrible, directive org.

HOLA4416

If your only experience of the BBC was Top Gear and Dr Who then you would think it was a world-class broadcaster.

When you've had to sit through Homes under the Hammer, The One Show, EastEnders, Party Political Broadcasts masquerading as news, the televised Fabian society debate that is Question Time, and endless shows where people buy junk and sell it to other people at an auction then you realise that it is a festering pile of ullage that happens to have lucked in with a couple of decent programmes that would readily be made by ITV or Channel 4 if the whole money-frittering jamboree ceased to exist as of tomorrow.

Oh its the dramas I cant stand. I feel obliged - as a liense payer - to wathc one.

I've not managed to last a first episode for over 5 years.

I watch more on Ch5 than the BBC.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Behind the Pinwall is all knowledge! I still have a fuel filter for a 1998-2005 Cadillac Seville on my shelf. I really need a clean out! :blink:

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I have a reselling licence from the owner if you would like permission to use it in spoken or written English.

Kenneth Horne used it on the show.

Then you are absolved, for HE is indeed an angel of innuendo! And worshipped in these here parts!

HOLA4422

Night Manager seems quite promising but have a bad feeling it will go to sh1t.

The best thing the BBC did Le Carre wise was the radio dramatisaion of the Smiley stuff.

Excellent!

But not a justication of the license fee or that annoying tnuc Yentob.

HOLA4423

Wildlife/natural history are the only thing that has held it`s own their drama is poor when you compare it to the likes of breaking bad /game of thrones and the like

HOLA4424

Kis have been up since 6am.

Telly has only been on for xbox.

Both have gone to watch youtube and stuff on tablets.

Neither are in the habit watching much telly.

If I worked at the BBC then I would be sh1tting myself.

HOLA4425

Wildlife/natural history are the only thing that has held it`s own their drama is poor when you compare it to the likes of breaking bad /game of thrones and the like

Big wildlife/nature are funded by loads of orgs - just look at he credits!

The BBC buy in film clips for nature. They are not commissioned to produce series.

Archived