House Price Crash Forum

A Run On The Pound, And How Could We Protect Our Money?

HOLA441
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Are they the latest print edition Euros, or the new batch coming in March.

Britain maybe screwed but the US and EU are equally as bad.

Not disagreeing. As I said I've bills to pay and live in France.

I've been transferring money between my UK and French bank accounts for 20+ years so 1.25 is acceptable for me today and the next 4-5 months.

I can see the pound dropping in this period. But as we say on this site regularly...DYOR.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

one piece of rubbish paper swapped for another piece of rubbish paper, all in a race to the bottom. The correct currency swap is rubbish paper for hard money. It's not that difficult

In the ideal world. Unfortunately in my case, the people I have to pay - including banks and utlilities and schools - only accept rubbish paper.............

HOLA447

one piece of rubbish paper swapped for another piece of rubbish paper, all in a race to the bottom. The correct currency swap is rubbish paper for hard money. It's not that difficult

Silver destroyed 2/3rds of your capital last 4 years

gold destroyed 40% of your capital.

but dont let facts get in te way of your bias.

HOLA448

I'm transferring most of my sterling to Euro tomorrow. 1.26 seems about as good as it will get for a while. I've bills to pay in euro's.....

Transferred the bulk when it was at 1.41 so I've had a good run.

Expect it to drop to around 1.05 or less, as happened the last time the UK went into recession.

Mario Draghi might have something to say about that in a few days........

HOLA449
HOLA4410

in matters of systemic risk, eg. when over 95% of fiat currencies eventually go to zero with an average lifespan of 40 years, it's better to be 5 years early than a day late when you enact protection.

the pound had lost 80% of its purchasing power since circa 1980. As has the dollar. Gold has seen all comers off for over 3000 years. That won't change.

Edited by evetsm

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I'm transferring most of my sterling to Euro tomorrow. 1.26 seems about as good as it will get for a while. I've bills to pay in euro's.....

Transferred the bulk when it was at 1.41 so I've had a good run.

Expect it to drop to around 1.05 or less, as happened the last time the UK went into recession.

CHANGE IT TO USD.

If there is an out vote win, BOTH Britain and the Euro block will loose out.

Britain looses access to the single market, Europe looses the 7th largest economy in the world (leaving Greece to be supported by a smaller number of states)

America is shielded from this. Either way, dont forget to swap just before the election day, that's when the panic will be at it's highest allowing you to make pound gains.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Ridiculous that ordinary people are forced into all this stuff. I just wanted somewhere to live but now I have to learn about foreign currencies, world politics, lunatic central bank shenanigins, investment strategies, just to stand still until house prices are back in reach. Before this I never thought beyond how much were my euros for Benidorm :(

Think of us as the intelligent money. We have long foreseen the problems of low IR, NIRP, DIRP, HTB, BTL, China Slow Down, Pension Changes, Demographics etc...despite talking to other people about this, our views where dismissed which leads us all here. HPC. We can see a little bit further into the future than most people, which gives us an edge to beat the pound run and make mad £££ by £->$->£.

Out of interest how do we know when a walk becomes a run?

Simple.

First it will appear on finance journals, (clever money legging it)

then it will move to TV (the plebs catch on)

then we see it on the mainstream press (SELL EVERYTHING)

When you read this on FT, that is the point you want to really protect yourself, or have previously made arrangements not to get economically hit.

HOLA4415

CHANGE IT TO USD.

Britain looses access to the single market, Europe looses the 7th largest economy in the world (leaving Greece to be supported by a smaller number of states)

America is shielded from this. Either way, dont forget to swap just before the election day, that's when the panic will be at it's highest allowing you to make pound gains.

Why exactly is this going to happen... :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

CHANGE IT TO USD.

Theyre about to elect a certified nutjob who has promised to build a wall along their southern border. So yeah, USD is perfectly safe.

HOLA4419

All of my paper losses, since buying in 2010, on physical shiny have been regained in the last few months.

With a large chunk of that happening in the last 6 weeks.

I'm now sat here wishing i'd had the balls to snap up Sovs at £165

Edited by shindigger

HOLA4420

in matters of systemic risk, eg. when over 95% of fiat currencies eventually go to zero with an average lifespan of 40 years, it's better to be 5 years early than a day late when you enact protection.

the pound had lost 80% of its purchasing power since circa 1980. As has the dollar. Gold has seen all comers off for over 3000 years. That won't change.

The only risk was buying gold and losing 1/2 your wealth in 3 years.

Not sure what the "purchasing power" of the pound since 1980 has to do with anything at all.

Unless youre Ronnie Biggs and been keeping your stash in cash for the last 35 years.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

The only risk was buying gold and losing 1/2 your wealth in 3 years.

Not sure what the "purchasing power" of the pound since 1980 has to do with anything at all.

Unless youre Ronnie Biggs and been keeping your stash in cash for the last 35 years.

What about when you get it all back again inside 3 months?

Life has to be a hedge these days, does it not?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
An experiment.

Being alarmed by events of 2008 I decide to dabble with long term alternative investment.

On one month in a year I will buy one ounce of gold on the last day of that month.

Unfortunately, the stars being aligned against me, I choose the worst month of each year for my purchase.

In 2008 I buy on the last day of DEC at the worst price of the year of 605 pounds

In 2009 I buy on the last day of NOV at the worst price of the year of 716

In 2010 I buy on the last day of DEC at the worst price of the year of 898

In 2011 I buy on the last day of AUG at the worst price of the year of 1114

In 2012 I buy on the last day of FEB at the worst price of the year of 1108

In 2013 I buy on the last day of MAR at the worst price of the year of 1053

In 2014 I buy on the last day of FEB at the worst price of the year of 792

In 2015 I buy on the last day of JAN at the worst price of the year of 839

Having maintained my bad luck of buying at the worst price I now have eight ounces and after this disaster I calculate my loss.

Total cost of my disastrous purchases of 8 ounces of gold is 7124 pounds.

Price per oz at 1800 on 26 Feb 2016 is 880

Valuation of my 8 ounces is 7040 pounds.

Total loss is 7124 - 7040 which is 84 pounds.

This represents a loss of 1%

Obviously I was very unlucky so decide to check how those who bought at the average price in each year would have fared.

In 2008 they buy at the average price for the year of 482 pounds

In 2009 they buy at the average price for the year of 626 pounds

In 2010 they buy at the average price for the year of 799 pounds

In 2011 they buy at the average price for the year of 974 pounds

In 2012 they buy at the average price for the year of 1053 pounds

In 2013 they buy at the average price for the year of 892 pounds

In 2014 they buy at the average price for the year of 762 pounds

In 2015 they buy at the average price for the year of 755 pounds

For their 8 ounces of gold they paid 6343 pounds

Current value of 7040 minus their cost of 6343 indicates a gain of 697 pounds.

Viewed simply this is an 11% increase after 8 years.

Not being financially literate I must have made a mistake. Can someone please point out my error.

The numbers and dates are taken from the downloadable spreadsheets of the World Gold Council.

Thanks in advance.

HOLA4425

You would have done much better than average if you just bought at the PM fix on option expiry days each month. Simples.

An experiment.
Being alarmed by events of 2008 I decide to dabble with long term alternative investment.
On one month in a year I will buy one ounce of gold on the last day of that month.