House Price Crash Forum

Bbc Outrage At Some Restaurants Not Applying Allergy Laws

Bloo Loo

HOLA441
HOLA442

I am allergic to something, but I don't know what.

After eating, on two occasions, I came out in hives, and my skin felt it was burning. I had to sit in a cold bath for an hour or two to alleviate the pain. Then they disappeared as quickly as they came.

Whatever it is, it must be a very rare ingredient.

Not worth taking tests to try and find out what it is.

Not to sound stupid or anything - but what was it you ate both times ? Surely you can remember if you got that initial response ? Even if a general meal on 2 occasions - you must be able to whittle it down to a few possible things ?

HOLA443

Not to sound stupid or anything - but what was it you ate both times ? Surely you can remember if you got that initial response ? Even if a general meal on 2 occasions - you must be able to whittle it down to a few possible things ?

something in Co-op bread gives me IBS....too much Kingsmill will do the same...cant pin down what it is in these brands though.

HOLA444

something in Co-op bread gives me IBS....too much Kingsmill will do the same...cant pin down what it is in these brands though.

Is their gluten level higher than other breads ?

HOLA445

Is their gluten level higher than other breads ?

couldnt really tell....tried comparing labels, but there was nothing obvious...I avoided those that gave me the trouble, problem solved.

Other breads didnt affect me, home made ones were particularly good in flavour and no pain later.

HOLA446

couldnt really tell....tried comparing labels, but there was nothing obvious...I avoided those that gave me the trouble, problem solved.

Other breads didnt affect me, home made ones were particularly good in flavour and no pain later.

I believe Frank Hovis likes baking bread. What an apt name. :blink:

HOLA447

I have a peanut allergy and have to carry an epipen. If you have a peanut allergy you make sure 100% that any food you are going to eat does not have peanuts in it. If you cannot get that guarantee then you don't eat it. I don't need the BBC going on a crusade on my behalf. I have it under control.

I have my friends old epipen. He gave it to me as he was dying, like he really wanted me to have it. It must have meant a lot to him.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I have my friends old epipen. He gave it to me as he was dying, like he really wanted me to have it. It must have meant a lot to him.

I can't work out whether your sense of humour is as cheesy as mine. :huh:

HOLA4411

The first time was when I was about 12. The only apparently unusual thing I had eaten was anchovies. I avoided them for years. It later turned out I can eat anchovies without ill effect.

The second time was after eating a spicy burger in a restaurant. The symptoms came on an hour later. Perhaps it was something in the sauces, or not even the main course, I will never know.

I also get hay fever, so I don't eat hay.

HOLA4412

The first time was when I was about 12. The only apparently unusual thing I had eaten was anchovies. I avoided them for years. It later turned out I can eat anchovies without ill effect.

The second time was after eating a spicy burger in a restaurant. The symptoms came on an hour later. Perhaps it was something in the sauces, or not even the main course, I will never know.

DIfficult diet for a dead horse!

HOLA4413

Mmm yes tricky one.

HOLA4414

It could be enzymes.

They put them in bread without listing them as ingredients. I think the regulations regards them as a cooking aid.

Here you go read this.. http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/the-shocking-truth-about-bread-413156.html

HOLA4415

Oh yeah! enzymes to get the bread to hold more gas....and gas its what I get, only in the lower gut, about 4AM.

only rare these days, as I am aiming to get carbs out of my diet as much as possible.

Angela Rippon should get really angry about allergens that dont have to be declared.

But she wont.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

There seems to be growing number going low wheat/low gluten Judging by stores expanding ranges. I have tried it for a bit and I do seem to feel better with little to no bloating or IBS. Might just be the latest fad I sm late to jump on !

My mate's restaurant made a point of having the most comprehensive gluten free menu for miles. As a marketing tactic it certainly worked, the staff weren't exactly overjoyed though.

HOLA4419

My mate's restaurant made a point of having the most comprehensive gluten free menu for miles. As a marketing tactic it certainly worked, the staff weren't exactly overjoyed though.

why werent the staff particularly happy?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Bacon and eggs, tomato and mushrooms are misery?

banned items all in the book of Pin I assume.

Nothing is banned in the "Book of Pin"! :blink:

HOLA4423

why werent the staff particularly happy?

Too much faff. Also, have you ever tried cooking gluten free pasta? Horrible stuff, falls apart as soon as look at it. And it's an Italian restaurant!

HOLA4424

Too much faff. Also, have you ever tried cooking gluten free pasta? Horrible stuff, falls apart as soon as look at it. And it's an Italian restaurant!

I get it, they didnt create a menu of everyday foods, they processed foods deliberately made for the purpose.

If the former, I may well have attempted a visit, to see how I could learn from their creativity.

HOLA4425

I get it, they didnt create a menu of everyday foods, they processed foods deliberately made for the purpose.

If the former, I may well have attempted a visit, to see how I could learn from their creativity.

Desserts were done from scratch. Pistachio cake was a good one, everybody seemed to like that. Problem is that some of the wheat free flours etc. just don't seem to behave, no matter what the makers might claim. Don't even get me started on that vegan fake egg substitute stuff.

Archived