HOLA441
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Could reply like so:

"Whilst the market will not support an increase in rent I won't pay one. Nevertheless, if your solvency is threatened I'm an experienced renter and can give you my contingency list of social housing providers and soup kitchens should you find yourself homeless and penniless in the near future, for a small fee. Ps/ the boiler's been making some funny noises recently"

HOLA444

Well found. One of them over there is always on about calling it the Tenant Tax.

What a letter.

Also this bit: If interest rates rise then there will of course be further revision to your rent as the tax will increase in line with the mortgage on your home.

Take them out HMRC.

They don't even understand the tax changes, or if they do they are wilfully misrepresenting them in order to frighten their tenants and to try and maximise how much additional money they can extract from them. People with such poor standards of ethics and reasoning are not fit to be in control of anyone else's shelter.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Scan it and post it here or on Social media- it will be ablaze with another spectacular PR own goal for the debt junkie idiots.

Any response should point out that the tax changes have yet to occur, so it is puzzling as to why they propose a rent hike before it is implemented if it a straightforward attempt to pass through additional costs.

Worth tweeting the text of the letter to various groups to raise awareness.

Absolutely. Also worth sending to the press. Maybe Tony Hazell at the Financial Times for starters?

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?/topic/205534-tax-relief-on-buy-to-let-mortgage-interest/?p=1102804548

HOLA447

Haha. That is such a slimy letter that I needed to rest my eyes closed before reading the second half. It was not wise to take that from a property forum. The tendrils of the HPC posse reach to all corners of the internet. Never underestimate the resourcefulness of it's users.

HOLA448

Dear Landlord,

I read your letter of [date] with interest. While I understand your position, your proposed rent is substantially greater than the market rate for properties such as the one I am renting from you, so you will of course understand that I am not willing to accept the suggested rent increase. As such, I reject your proposal and will continue paying rent at the rate we agreed in the tenancy agreement for this property.

Hugs and kisses,

Limon

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Simple. Respond by saying "by increasing my rent you give me full legal authority to disclose your personal details on the internet, facebook, twitter and to pass on full details to Her Majesties Revenue and Customs to ensure that you as an honourable and upstanding member of society are not paying a penny more in tax than you should by law".

Send it by recorded mail / courier.

I'm tempted to set up a company called Loistauti Paskiainen* lettings to offer property references, pay me £1 I'll give you a 1hr tenancy and say you were an impeccable tenant who always paid their rent on time (only if you did of course), I'll even translate the value into a pcm amount. :P

*google translate it

HOLA4412

I'd go with:

"Thanks for your letter.

Your tax liabilities are your tax liabilities not mine. If you raise the rent I will serve immediate notice to quit.

I understand that the change in the tax regime means that you will likely go bankrupt. Can I offer you [25% discount] for this property before you are forced to hand it over to your lender.

Also please note the following faults with the flat that require immediate rectification under the terms of our lease agreement......

Kind regards"

HOLA4413

Recieved this through the door today :lol:

Dear tenant.

Thanks you for your continued business. I would like to acknowledge your business as a tenant but also to let you know how much I enjoy working for and with you as your landlord.

You’ll have seen that in the 8th July 2015 Budget this year, the Chancellor introduced a new tax that prohibits me from claiming the mortgage on your home against my takings. It has been spun as a Restriction on Finance Costs Relief for Individual landlords or clause 24 of the Finance Bill 2015. It is effectively a Tenant Tax as the cost has to be passed on to you and it relates directly to the mortgage on your home.

I know that you pay your rent from already taxed income but it seems the Chancellor wants you to specifically pay the interest charges for your home in the same way owners pay their interest on their home. The chancellor thinks this is only fair.

In order to pay the new Tenant Tax, I of course have to increase your rent in line with the new tax £ for £. I therefore have to increase your rent today by £x which i assure you will all be paid to the Chancellor as Tenant Tax. If interest rates rise then there will of course be further revision to your rent as the tax will increase in line with the mortgage on your home.

Again, I thank you for your business and understanding in this matter and the introduction of a fairer tax system. In the event you believe your rent increase is unjust and or you believe the Chancellor has not introduced a fairer tax system with this measure, please don’t complain to me as I have no option but to pass on the tax. If you wish to complain please do so by e-mailing XX who is your MP. His e-mail address xxx

Regards,

Your Landlord

..the landlord tells lies....contact your MP and complain about the abuse ...this letter is both threat and abuse...Dave needs to act in the interest of equality and the law....and you should be able to sue for threat and abuse.... :ph34r:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

If you push that letter to the media, they will probably jump on the band wagon and call it a tenant tax - that's what they really want; that is the public against the tax change.

..yes and you can only hope that the bright sparks in government don't fall for that ruse.... :rolleyes:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

OK - I had similar last year - and I simply emailed them saying "I decline your offer of a rent increase"

It worked.

If that fails - reply informing them you will be happy to pay the increase in rent - and as your duty as a tax paying citizen - you will immediately inform the local HMRC office as to your landlord details and the amount of rent per month you have received off your tenent for the last x years.

The above will stand you in good stead unless your landlord is doing everything perfectly by the book - chances look slim though.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Point out putting the rent up increases the amount he pays in tax.

Hmm, you got in first with something like what I was going to say.

Dear Landlord,

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy about the prospect of paying tax. In order to relieve you of this burden, I have today halved the standing order for rent. I can reduce it further if it helps with your tax burden.

p.s. something about the boiler.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Daft letter of course but this is exactly what will happen when the new rules are introduced. The costs will naturally be passed onto the tenant one way or another.

Considering how comprehensively that silly comment of yours had already been debunked, I can only assume you are either trolling, or stupid, or both.

HOLA4425