House Price Crash Forum

Is Loom Band Craze Over?

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Yes, it's over. Great craze which had all the kids doing it but once you've mastered it the range is pretty limited so they'd all done everything in a couple of months.

Here's a vision of the craze in full swing courtesy of Poundland wars:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0676c0q/pound-shop-wars-series-2-2-battle-of-the-loom-bands

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I now know what they are thanks to D T Mark, but what are they for?

They make bracelets out of them. There are reams of YouTube videos teaching different designs and I guess there is peer prestige for completing the most complex patterns. I thought it was quite a good craze as they cost about a fiver for a set and they played with them to obsessively for weeks.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Very similar to the scoobies craze not long ago.

I would say the crazes don't have the strength they used to. Trying to think of some massive ones and one that stands out is yo-yos. 'walk the dog' and 'rock the cradle' anyone?

Found an alarming abundance of hacky sacks, buried time capsule style, in my warehouse, a few years back.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

A few years back the kids at my school were going mental over diablos. I think that's what they were called. A lump of wood you chuck around and in the air using two sticks joined with a line.

HOLA4421

A few years back the kids at my school were going mental over diablos. I think that's what they were called. A lump of wood you chuck around and in the air using two sticks joined with a line.

Crikey. These go back to the Middle Ages. Didn't you give them computer games? Luddite. :blink:;)

HOLA4422

I was doing some research on the effect of the Helios probes on the gravitational pull of the moon when I stumbled across a (Sunday Mirror I think) article whereby some dude had tied an unimaginable amount of looms around his ding-a-ling and subsequently his old monks hood exploded! I would say the craze is certainly over for him at least!

HOLA4423

Um, this was over last summer wasn't it?

Not oop North. I only came across them last summer, Tour de France time, when a niece's daughter was loom-band-ing non stop (except when the T de F was whizzing past the end of my sister's garden path in Hawes) and presented me with several bracelets.

Even her little brother was at it - and he's a junior rugby fiend.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I was doing some research on the effect of the Helios probes on the gravitational pull of the moon when I stumbled across a (Sunday Mirror I think) article whereby some dude had tied an unimaginable amount of looms around his ding-a-ling and subsequently his old monks hood exploded! I would say the craze is certainly over for him at least!

Not wishing to click on the link I'm guessing that they were woven into something beforehand. The individual bands are tight on a finger and would have to snap if trying to do what he did.

Archived