House Price Crash Forum

Nokia 3510 Phone Causes Sensation

juvenal

HOLA441

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-New-Condition-Refurbished-Blue-Handset-Nokia-3510i-Mobile-Phone-Simfree-/400681818920

Working today, I produced my Nokia 3510 phone to make a call. I was immediately surrounded by five people uttering cries of derision, incredulity, admiration, nostalgia, hilarity and the rest..

If I had revealed I was wearing an 18' C lambsgut nodder the reception wouldn't have been more excessive...

Why this extraordinary outburst?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

Your version of reality has become warped by HPC Off Topic - which suggests having the latest smartphone over two Golden Syrup tins, connected by a bit of string, is peculiarly decadent behaviour and should be self-righteously avoided.

Actual reality is the vast majority of people you meet have an iphone 6 (the most up to date version).

HOLA445
HOLA446

Your version of reality has become warped by HPC Off Topic - which suggests having the latest smartphone over two Golden Syrup tins, connected by a bit of string, is peculiarly decadent behaviour and should be self-righteously avoided.

Actual reality is the vast majority of people you meet have an iphone 6 (the most up to date version).

Meet? People?

HOLA447

I had a 3510 until very recently, when the case broke. Work colleagues were very amused when I replaced it with a 6310i from EBay. I actually have a Samsung smartphone too, but I hardly use it. :wacko:

HOLA448

I would have laughed at you until I puked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/In-New-Condition-Refurbished-Blue-Handset-Nokia-3510i-Mobile-Phone-Simfree-/400681818920

Working today, I produced my Nokia 3510 phone to make a call. I was immediately surrounded by five people uttering cries of derision, incredulity, admiration, nostalgia, hilarity and the rest..

If I had revealed I was wearing an 18' C lambsgut nodder the reception wouldn't have been more excessive...

Why this extraordinary outburst?

Perhaps like me they'd never seen a Nokia handset of that design with a colour screen before. Now that is decadence.

Personally, given the amount of gadgets and other crap my smartphone allows me to eliminate carrying I prefer it to the old days when a phone pretty much only made calls. But horses for courses and all that.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

You should have intentionally - but subtlety - dropped it on the floor - then nonchalantly picked it up. That would get their interest.

:)

Precisely. They take a right hammering, the battery lasts ages, and they seem to pick up a weak signal. I have a smartphone for google maps however.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

I still have a few old ones - but no charger !! Will need to find one online and take it on a night out sometime to scare people.

You will get a charger from EBay or Amazon for a few quid. They sort of predate USB charging. I had an in car charger, but maybe that was in the old car when I scrapped it? :blink:

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I had one of those - hideous orange sides on it and whatnot - awful looking thing. Dunno why I bought it.

Saying that, I do think smartphones are for the most a great time sink and I'd do more useful things in life without the temptation of mine.

Sent from my iPhone

HOLA4418

I had one of those - hideous orange sides on it and whatnot - awful looking thing. Dunno why I bought it.

Saying that, I do think smartphones are for the most a great time sink and I'd do more useful things in life without the temptation of mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fixed B)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I always wanted a nokia 8210.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_8210

People say that Nokia lost their way post iPhone but let's be honest they were shit years before that and the 3510 is a case in point. The 8210, 3210 and 6210/6310 were classics but even the ubiquitous 3310 was more than a bit meh.

Something like the n95 stands out like a beacon later on but even that was just an plucky contender that did little to prevent the inevitable collapse.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

People say that Nokia lost their way post iPhone but let's be honest they were shit years before that and the 3510 is a case in point. The 8210, 3210 and 6210/6310 were classics but even the ubiquitous 3310 was more than a bit meh.

Something like the n95 stands out like a beacon later on but even that was just an plucky contender that did little to prevent the inevitable collapse.

I wanted one at the time, but my carrier chose to cripple the VOIP, which erked me enough not to buy it

http://www.velocityreviews.com/threads/n95-voip-settings-crippled-by-orange.500998/

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

The E71 was still the best 'phone, from any source, I've ever encountered:

• Small enough to be comfy in the pocket and hand.
  • Brilliant battery life: up to a week in light usage (more-or-less anything short of prolonged use of the GPS/satnav or using it as wifi hotspot).
  • Keyboard that was a real pleasure to use: more positive than blackberries (other than some expensive blackberries that were also too big to be remotely convenient).
  • All the apps that really mattered, though it did lack the iphone's legendary "1001 farting apps".

Nokia_E71_grey.jpg

Archived