House Price Crash Forum

Malaysia Accuses Naked British Stripper Of Causing Earthquake

copydude

HOLA441

I wonder if the stripping off may have been done in a spirit of pseudo-religiosity of a kind not entirely surprising in people who have been brought up in an entirely secular environment...sort of 'hey let's get naked and commune with this really like deep spiritual place' rather than a Magaluff-style drunken lark deliberately intended to offend.

No, it was probably "Look at me, I`m in such and such place that "everyone" must see, and I`m following the latest social media sheep brain craze by stripping off" The need for validation that the selfie generation have is painful, but this girl has got some chat shows and a few newspaper deals when she comes back for sure, they might even make a film, so she better milk it for all she is worth and then make some grand gesture to the punters who believe their Sky Fairy is pissed off.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Sabah and Sarawak are fairly relaxed in comparison to some places on peninsula Malaysia - you can buy beer in the hut on Mnt K where you overnight before getting to the summit for sunrise, so the gods don't seem to mind that.

I suspect it's just the Muslim Bumiputera getting all righteous and indignant as usual.

The racial apartheid type laws are very strange and lead to tensions. On the east coast of the peninsula, I'd go to ethnic Chinese restaurants to have a beer, but elsewhere it's illegal. Having said that, I've been to a few Muslim weddings there and there's a lot of hip-flask activity under the table.

What have 'mountain spirits' got to do with Islam. Surely such animist beliefs are heretical at best and pagan at worst.

Mark you have I the world tiniest violin for western tourists who nearly always leave what liitle brain they have at home when going abroad

HOLA443
HOLA444

Have they really done multiculturalism better than us? We have a Swedish friend whose son has lived for years in KL, married to a Malaysian Chinese. From what I have been told there is official or semi official discrimination against Chinese in various areas - the Malays often get a better deal or opportunities. If this is wrong I would be interested to know.

You are quite correct, the ethnic Malay have a modest majority, but they make the rules. The system is a milder version of apartheid and the Malays (or Bumiputera-"son of the soil") get preferential treatment in all aspects of life: cheaper loans and access to university with lower qualifications in preference to any other non-Bumi Malaysian.

In order to get registered, I believe that companies have to have a Bumiputera on the board! Pisses everyone off, particularly the ethnic Chinese who are the real entrepreneurs in the country. The Muslim part is a side issue and not really that relevant unless you live in the NE states where it's s wee bit in your face.

Sabah is probably majority Christian, but the guys in power will be Bumiputera Muslim. So they will be the ones flapping about about the Mnt K nudes with righteous indignation like a Victorian seeing a ladies ankles. The local kadizan have a Christian facade over an animist culture where most problems can be solved with cutting the head off a chicken and getting pissed on the local fermented rice firewater.

It'll all blow over - it's just good press as it involves naked young people.

HOLA445

Have they really done multiculturalism better than us? We have a Swedish friend whose son has lived for years in KL, married to a Malaysian Chinese. From what I have been told there is official or semi official discrimination against Chinese in various areas - the Malays often get a better deal or opportunities. If this is wrong I would be interested to know.

Yes, you're correct. Hence my "perhaps" qualifier. As ever the problem lies at the Government level - and it's worse than you say. There is a sort of cultural cleansing going on where the muslim following Malays get better housing, facilities etc (even if they are in the minority in some areas) - while marrying a muslim makes you one as well (together with any children).

On a day to day basis - and I can only relate my experiences from having relatives who form part of one of the indigenous tribes in Borneo - families can often be a real melting point of beliefs, backgrounds, ethnicity etc and generally rub along OK - and when it comes to holidays/celebrations everyone is tends to be happy to celebrate each others traditions.

HOLA446

What have 'mountain spirits' got to do with Islam. Surely such animist beliefs are heretical at best and pagan at worst.

Mark you have I the world tiniest violin for western tourists who nearly always leave what liitle brain they have at home when going abroad

Malaysia - and particularly Sabah - is not all Muslim. Many are Christian and quite a number are still following traditional animist faiths.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

The tourists should think themselves lucky for Malaysia's response.

Head Girl In Hellhole Horror

KUALA LUMPUR, June 12 — Sabah’s Kota Kinabalu prison is “horrendously” overcrowded with a permanent stench of urine, a source told UK paper Daily Mail, reporting on the arrest of a British tourist who allegedly stripped naked.

According to the report on MailOnline, the source alleged that the women’s wing of the “hellhole” prison in Sabah was so overcrowded that Eleanor Hawkins, former head girl of a £12,000-a-year (RM70,000) private school, would have to take turns sleeping because of a shortage of mattresses.

“Last time I went there, the smell was horrible. None of the women had showered for days and you can smell urine everywhere. It’s just terrible,” the source was quoted saying.

HOLA4410

FO To Review Travel Advice After Sabah Shocker

CarltonBrowneOfTheFO06.jpg

“The travel advice team are going to discuss with the Malaysian desk how best they think the travel advice should be updated in light of this incident.

“They are going to review it … they may include [reference to] it as a warning so that it doesn’t happen again,” the UK Foreign Office said in a statement to British daily The Guardian.

Kerfuffle

HOLA4411

... as I was saying ...

DSED0064new.jpg

200 brave riders are expected at the tenth annual naked cycle at 7pm this evening.

Setting off from All Saints Park on Oxford Road, the group of male and female cyclists will whizz past Albert Square and on to Deansgate before heading past Deansgate Locks to the finishing line back at the park.

HOLA4412

KUALA LUMPUR, June 12 — Sabah’s Kota Kinabalu prison is “horrendously” overcrowded with a permanent stench of urine, a source told UK paper Daily Mail, reporting on the arrest of a British tourist who allegedly stripped naked.

According to the report on MailOnline, the source alleged that the women’s wing of the “hellhole” prison in Sabah was so overcrowded that Eleanor Hawkins, former head girl of a £12,000-a-year (RM70,000) private school, would have to take turns sleeping because of a shortage of mattresses.

“Last time I went there, the smell was horrible. None of the women had showered for days and you can smell urine everywhere. It’s just terrible,” the source was quoted saying.

This place sounds like your average boozer in Leith.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Jailed and released immediately having already served her 3 days.

Pretty disappointing really . . . I think all the international media guys who went down there were hoping for 30 lashes at least, or even a public stoning.

Oh they got a fine as well . . . but not in iivestock. RM 5000 . . . about 1000 Euro.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

....naive and uneducated people imo.....

But but . . . Winkie . . . her school fees were 12,000 a term! Are you questioning our Great British system?

We did not build an Empire by pandering to every wog, frog and dago!

but as I understand it she was topless the men were naked.....what happened to them?

Just some foreigners . . . who cares.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

No - you just don't get it.

When lack of respect for the mores of this country is displayed it is in fact cultural enrichment, or sumfink

Please report to your nearest re-education centre

I act better when abroad, than some "Johnny Foreigners" do here. Some do not even know the rules of Cricket,

I have seen some "fine British Gentlemen" acting appalingly in foreign countries. I pretend I am Dutch, or Spanish, and move away. :blink:

HOLA4421

Maybe the mountain gods got some sort of sexual arousal and the earth moved in the valleys, so they spake to the judge to send her and her mates back...

I believe the charge of her boobs causing an earthquake was dropped.

Maybe the British High Commissioner for Borneo intervened personally?

This whole episode has been very Evelyn Waugh . . .

HOLA4422

I act better when abroad, than some "Johnny Foreigners" do here. Some do not even know the rules of Cricket,

I have seen some "fine British Gentlemen" acting appalingly in foreign countries. I pretend I am Dutch, or Spanish, and move away. :blink:

Once I pretended I was Welsh whilst visiting Holland and talking to some Germans on the campsite. I felt dirty and ashamed for weeks.

HOLA4423

Once I pretended I was Welsh whilst visiting Holland and talking to some Germans on the campsite. I felt dirty and ashamed for weeks.

YES, Dirty and ashamed. The people of Wales made the coal to bomb Germany with. We needed coal to keep the airships going apparently.

HOLA4424

FO To Review Travel Advice After Sabah Shocker

Oh lookee, Malaysia has campaigning tabloids too ....

Three days and a few quid seems pretty liberal compared to Stephen Gough's treatment in an altogether more totalitarian country. I wonder what she'd have got for a exhibiting in a big holy place (say, Westminster Abbey) here?

HOLA4425

You have obviously never heard of my "Tits for The Prophet, and Jesus too" campaign! Tits are for everyone, even if they are not yours! God says you have to show them willingly. Otherwise you are a very dirty bloke, for watching. :unsure:

Archived