House Price Crash Forum

Stingray Mobile Towers Blanket Surveillance

geezer466

HOLA441

http://news.sky.com/story/1499258/fake-mobile-phone-towers-operating-in-the-uk

Sky News has found evidence that rogue mobile phone towers, which can listen in on people's calls without their knowledge, are being operated in the UK.

IMSI catchers, also known as Stingrays, mimic mobile phone masts and trick phones into logging on.

The controversial surveillance technology is used by police agencies worldwide to target the communications of criminals.

However, Stingrays also collect the data of all other phones in the area, meaning innocent people's communications are spied on.

Seems Sky has stumbled upon one of the main weapons in the war on terror.

Understandably no one wants to answer their FOI requests on it.

HOLA442

Seems Sky has stumbled upon one of the main weapons in the war on terror.

Oh please, stop repeating this 'war on terror' lie, nobody believes it anymore.

Even 5-year-olds know that it's just an excuse to progressively strip us of all our liberties and civil rights. The so called 'terror' is stoked up again and and again just for this purpose.

It's a war by the 1% against the 99%.

HOLA443

Oh please, stop repeating this 'war on terror' lie, nobody believes it anymore.

Even 5-year-olds know that it's just an excuse to progressively strip us of all our liberties and civil rights. The so called 'terror' is stoked up again and and again just for this purpose.

It's a war by the 1% against the 99%.

Blimey mate.

I like a good conspiracy theory but it sounds like you have some serious issues there.

It's only a matter of time before ISIS mount an operation in a UK shopping centre on the scale of Mumbia or Nairobi. They are already smuggling people into Europe via the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean.

We don't need to label the previous incidents as 'so called terror' they are documented fact. As is the stated wish of the Islamic fundamentalists to destroy the West and our way of life.

If old bill or MI5 wants to listen on on what tittle tattle I have with my missus or kids then it is a reasonable price to pay to saving the lives of potentially hundreds/thousands of people in a potential spectacular attack.

HOLA444

Blimey mate.

I like a good conspiracy theory but it sounds like you have some serious issues there.

It's only a matter of time before ISIS mount an operation in a UK shopping centre on the scale of Mumbia or Nairobi. They are already smuggling people into Europe via the migrant crisis in the Mediterranean.

We don't need to label the previous incidents as 'so called terror' they are documented fact. As is the stated wish of the Islamic fundamentalists to destroy the West and our way of life.

If old bill or MI5 wants to listen on on what tittle tattle I have with my missus or kids then it is a reasonable price to pay to saving the lives of potentially hundreds/thousands of people in a potential spectacular attack.

Fine. No one is saying there isnt Islamic terror. I'm as anti-islam as anyone...some might even say 'islamophobic'

But even though I'm sure there will be an Islamic terror attack on the UK in the near future, id still rather keep my rights and privacy, thanks.

Thousands of people die on the roads every year, we don't ban cars, and I'd still rather drive than take the train. Thats how much my freedom means to me. Id even be happy to have a higher risk of dying if it meant less speed limits, speed bumps and other freedom limiting laws and so on. Same goes for the Islamic terror boogeyman. It may be a real boogeyman, but frankly I couldn't care. Freedom should trump everything, sometimes even life and wealth.

HOLA445

I raised this point at a dinner party a few weeks back. It was fascinating seeing the proverbial penny drop by the look on people's faces. I can think of 3 possible targets.

Even then the powers that be and the BBC/Channel 4 will continue in denial IMPO.

HOLA446

No wonder I never use a cellphone for anything but the most trivial converstion. You can still be located though!

I'd rather stick to short wave radio, where not many people are listening.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

No wonder I never use a cellphone for anything but the most trivial converstion. You can still be located though!

I'd rather stick to short wave radio, where not many people are listening.

Untitled.png

I was walking down this street, and this house has about 2 to 3 aerials on his house with another one on a white cabin in the garden - is this some sort ham radio hobby or pirate radio station - how do I listen in? Sorry, I won't be able to give the location on this.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

My near neighbours have all sorts of heavy duty radio listening equipment sprouting from their roof. I've no idea what they're listening in to.

Probably me!

HOLA4415

Oh, I better get some industrial quantities of bleach in. (I've watched csi)

You can encrypt the stains by folding the blankets but I replaced all my blankets with tinfoil just to be sure.

HOLA4416

Blimey mate.

Really, this is nuts. If the government is snooping on everything we do we've already lost our way of life.

As for smuggling, well stop letting the buggers in then!!!! That's the solution, not spying on me and everybody else. While they are at it they can do something about the torrent of Saudi money that goes to Islamist groups in Europe.

HOLA4417

Untitled.png

I was walking down this street, and this house has about 2 to 3 aerials on his house with another one on a white cabin in the garden - is this some sort ham radio hobby or pirate radio station - how do I listen in? Sorry, I won't be able to give the location on this.

Go and knock on and ask.

Most HAM nuts like talking to people. :-)

HOLA4418

You may think that but I recall a presentation by an American company who provided data analytic services to credit card companies in the 1990's who were very proud in their role of searching the digitised voice records of mobile telephony that allowed them to pinpoint the whereabouts of Osama Bin Laden (before he was truly famous) to launch rocket attacks on Afghanistan. This was on Clinton's watch.

Think how things have progressed since.

Edit: I think the company spookily enough was called SAS. They are deeply involved in data analytics that seemingly on a couple of Googles now stretch into data analytics of social media 'to find the bad guys'.

http://www.sas.com/news/feature/stopping-bad-guys-with-social-data.html

Still not overly convinced. That link primarily suggests their core skill is pushing the right buttons to get government contracts. I'm not sure that quite a few of these outfits aren't a million miles away from the company that sold golf ball finders as explosive detectors.

A short while back some disgruntled bloke basically destroyed the entire Oxfordshire council offices with just his car, a couple of gas bottles and some matches. I remain dubious of how significant any real terror threat is. A few targets, with low or non-existent security, like motorway bridges, fuel depots, supermarket depots and supply chains and you'd have any western country (which is rationally the sensible target) on its knees but why are the 'terrorists' always seemingly obsessed with aeroplanes and public transport.

I wonder how much resources are deployed analysing messages sent by fax or post , these days.

HOLA4419

Then maybe it would be a good idea to un-disarm the population, so they could shoot back. Because the one thing you can guarantee is that the cops won't be there to defend you.

HOLA4420

Go and knock on and ask.

Most HAM nuts like talking to people. :-)

Seems to be the whole point of it. :blink:

I have other hobbies too. ^_^

HOLA4421

100% with you on this.

The other thought I have is that if the 3 million Muslims or so were really intent on staging attacks, they would have done so already. There will be another attack one day for sure, but that is no reason to curtail everyone's rights to privacy. The issue for me in building up this infrastructure is when a Hitler or Stalin comes to power as they also surely will one day.

EDIT: Put it this way, the choice should not be the false one they put to us to constrain our freedoms and privacy which is that "it is a small price to pay for safety from terrorism" but one of "accepting random acts of terrorism as a price of privacy and freedom to prevent the potential full force of the state being levied on its citizens".

Agree 100%

And there's no need for those of us who are wary of state surveillance and control to magic up a conspiracy. It's just a mundane triumvirate of careerism[1], strong man politics[2], and precautionary principle syndrome[3]. Unchallenged it'll give future Hitlers everything they need to make 1984 seem like a kids playground game.

[1] Copper/General/Civil Servant etc wants bigger job, more power etc etc and dares politicians to refuse their request for more budget and more people. They don't even have to be Machiavellian - just good effective career people.

[2] Nothing better than being seen to face up to a threat to get a politician some votes.

[3] I blame health and safety culture and people doing risk assessments who don't understand probabilities. They tend to do binary risk assessments: "if I've dreamt it up, we need to mitigate against it - however unlikely".

HOLA4422

Untitled.png

Is it in Shropshire/West Mids?

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
The other thought I have is that if the 3 million Muslims or so were really intent on staging attacks, they would have done so already. There will be another attack one day for sure, but that is no reason to curtail everyone's rights to privacy. The issue for me in building up this infrastructure is when a Hitler or Stalin comes to power as they also surely will one day.

Exactly. We are all told there are loads of people out to kill us. So why isn't some nut job walking into a shopping centre and unloading an uzi at everyone? Requires no planning, no organisation, just a Uzi (or equivalent) which is pretty easy to come by in the Middle East.

Some outfit in the US published the data on Zerohedge last week, detailing all of the causes of deaths of US civilians globally over the last 20 years. So including 9/11, you're more likely to die of an insect sting than be killed by a terrorist. Sums it up really.

HOLA4425

Archived