House Price Crash Forum

Raped On Tape Then Blackmailed Into Marrying Their Attacker

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/australasia/raped-on-tape-then-blackmailed-into-marrying-their-attacker--the-deeply-disturbing-trend-affecting-australian-women-10057125.html

Rapists are increasingly blackmailing their victims with horrifying videos of their sexual assaults, before coercing them into returning or even marrying their attacker, a special report has revealed.

In one of the interviews, a 21-year-old woman describes how she witnessed her own alleged attack via footage sent to her on Facebook - an experience that made her physically sick. The perpetrator then demanded she return to him or he would show the images to her friends and family.

"I saw flailing limbs," she said. "I saw me telling him to get off and then having my arms pinned down. I played the first 30 seconds and knew exactly what it was, and turned it off and went and vomited in the backyard."

The harrowing interviews have been recorded by journalist Naomi Selvaratnam for SBS News, who set out to investigate a disturbing, growing number of rapists using mental torture and blackmail to further taunt their victims in Australia.

She found that far from being isolated incidents, more and more cases of this kind were being reported - with foreign students most at risk.

One woman from Hong Kong paid her blackmailer thousands of dollars to prevent him from releasing the video.

Seems a high risk strategy by the rapist as surely eventually someone is going to present the evidence to the police?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

It must only work on cultures where it is considered shameful to be such a victim or something - otherwise, I can't see how it could work.

I fear too many people in the world have this attitude.

HOLA446

Brilliant. Evidence straight to police - job done.

It would mean the end of the womans life as she knows it. No family, no money, no help, nothing. Totally on her own. For many female teens brought up in cultures where men rule it is a very scary scenario indeed. Some cultures are very hard towards women.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

What 'growing trend' is this? Outlandish Rape hysteria? I've googled it and can just find this one panic article by some feminist echoed all around the world.

Internet control legislation is due in the US...another lot...they need ammo for the case for censorship

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

All very well for us, but wouldn't overcome the pariah status of rape victims in some cultures.

Is Australia so culturally backwards? The title of the article is "the deeply disturbing trend affecting Australian women", which suggests it is the laws, attitudes and culture of Australia that are somehow at fault.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Is Australia so culturally backwards? The title of the article is "the deeply disturbing trend affecting Australian women", which suggests it is the laws, attitudes and culture of Australia that are somehow at fault.

Yes! :wacko:

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Its an odd kind of blackmail..

normally, the blackmailer will make a demand that he has something and will make it public if the victim doesnt do something.

Here, its made public first, then the demand is made, and then the victim does something. The damage has been done, the blackmailer has nothing.

I smell BS.

HOLA4419

Presumably Australian women from a culture different from most. There are plenty of ethnic groups who deem rape victims pariahs - where virginity is paramount in a bride and therefore nobody will want to marry them. Its not 'Australian values' in question, it's the values imported by immigrants.

HOLA4420

Presumably Australian women from a culture different from most. There are plenty of ethnic groups who deem rape victims pariahs - where virginity is paramount in a bride and therefore nobody will want to marry them. Its not 'Australian values' in question, it's the values imported by immigrants.

Right, I get that. But that's really a Chinese/Indian/Bangladeshi/indonesian cultural issue that happens to occur (vanishingly rarely) on Australian soil. It's an appalling thing, but the article deliberately makes it appear to be an Australian cultural problem that's swept under the carpet, which it actually doesn't seem to be.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Pssst...I think they mentioned Hong Kong, too. :unsure:

HOLA4423

I call BS on this one too. The victim knows the attacker, has real evidence of the assault, and allows herself to be blackmailed, rather than the other way around? Surely, every woman in OZ knows these days how easy it it to make a simple claim of life-shattering assault (like having your bum touched) and get her share of the compo pot, plus all the sympathy from the wimminz.

OTOH, offences now deemed serious sexual assault by the wimminz and the courts are so trivial, maybe there was a real assault involved (like having her bum touched during courting) which now can be be used as a means to escape an unwanted marriage, perhaps an arranged one?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Right, I get that. But that's really a Chinese/Indian/Bangladeshi/indonesian cultural issue that happens to occur (vanishingly rarely) on Australian soil. It's an appalling thing, but the article deliberately makes it appear to be an Australian cultural problem that's swept under the carpet, which it actually doesn't seem to be.

I honestly can't think that anyone with a modicum of intelligence would think it's a problem caused by home-grown Australian values.

Archived