House Price Crash Forum

Manchester Serial Killer On The Loose?

HOLA441
Is a serial killer stalking Manchester's canals? More than 60 bodies have been pulled from waterways in just six years - and murderer could still be at large, says professor

Professor Craig Jackson, head of psychology at Birmingham City University, said the death toll was 'alarming' and claimed it was possible the killer was at large. Some of the 61 bodies have been discovered around Canal Street - home to many of the city's gay bars and restaurants and known as the 'Gay Village' - while police have previously searched for missing people in the Rochdale Canal (main picture). Among the deaths cited by Professor Jackson is that of Chris Brahney, 22, (inset right) who was found dead in the Manchester Ship Canal in June 2012, and Souvik Pal, 18, (inset left) who was missing for three weeks before his body was discovered in the Bridgewater Canal.

Or drunk people falling in to the canal? Any rumours that's there's a serial killer on the loose in Manchester?

HOLA442

Dunno but I once went down there to have a look at the canals on a Sunday morning about 1100AM and saw 3 men doing things I didn't expect to see at that time right in the middle of the pathway. Not too bothered myself (it was mildly amusing) but I really didn't expect that on a Sunday morning (I guess it was still Saturday night for them if they had been on performance enhancing substances or something).

I can imagine it really annoying some people though. We know those people exist.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

60 "bodies". What they mean is 60 men.

Can you imagine the public uproar if it was sixty women?

Wow, that figure didn't initially leap out. And people were talking about a serial killer in York after three or so.

That's a crisis; no way can they all be accidental.

HOLA447
HOLA448

i am always surprised anyone drowns in a canal, they are typically three to four feet deep so, unless you are comatose or very short it shouldn't be a problem. I guess the interesting statistic is how many were pulled out by other folk before they drowned. If the answer is none then something odd is afoot.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

City centre canal outside pub/club venues seems an odd place to dispose of murder victims.

High chance of being spotted by the public

High chance of being recorded on CCTV

High chance of fairly quick discovery of the victim (unless weighted)

If the bodies have signs of trauma then yes.

If they haven't, and there are no signs of foul play then probably not.

Unless the murderer is deliberately trying to make the victims look like drunks who fell in the canal. Which I guess is a possibility.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Seems you can just fall out of a bar and into the canal.

More surprising is the lack of a barrier in the first instance.

IT would probably be cheaper to erect (ooo errr) than a forensic police investigation as a first step. If it persists then go for a more detailed investigation.

Old pictures - there has been a barrier in place for a number of years now ...

Manchester-Canal-Street-005-486x347.jpg

BR-17-2-10-116-486x364.jpg

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419

There has been a spate of young men disappearing and turning up drowned in the River Avon in Bath recently. It does make you wondering if it's a gay sex attacker/murderer. There's been cases like Dennis Nilsen in the past.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

i am always surprised anyone drowns in a canal, they are typically three to four feet deep so, unless you are comatose or very short it shouldn't be a problem. I guess the interesting statistic is how many were pulled out by other folk before they drowned. If the answer is none then something odd is afoot.

Cold water shock.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Boring story alert: my great grandad died by drowning in a canal. He was on his way home from the pub, it was foggy and he just fell in. He wasn't a big drinker wither by all accounts.

HOLA4425

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/serial-killer-manchester-canal-pusher-8454937?ICID=FB-MEN-main

Around 20 per cent of drowning deaths involve people falling in to waterways while more than 15 per cent of those who died had been drinking alcohol

So 80% jump in?

Can't believe the figure of 15% alcohol related though.

Archived