House Price Crash Forum

Most Cancer Cases Pure Bad Luck, Not Preventable

libspero

HOLA441
HOLA442

I must have good genes. Can only think of one person in my extended family who has had cancer. Including cousins etc. Big family - perhaps 20-30 people.

Sounds quite unusual ?

Perhaps not. I think about half of the population will get cancer in their lifetimes. I guess that means the other half will not. Probably not a surprise that those with similar genes/lifestyles will tend to either escape or be disproportionately affected. For example, one guy I know died of lung cancer aged 56, exactly as his father had. Hadn't smoked for 30 years. Not uncommon for breast cancer to run in families either.

There's very little cancer in my family too. Only one of my grans - who got lung cancer in her late 70s after smoking 60 a day for around five decades. Given 3 months to live, she managed another 18 months of cruises and other holidays before pegging out.

Everyone develops cancerous cells - but some people's bodies seem better at mopping them up before they become a problem. Some of that is likely down to luck, some down to their immune system (poss. a mix of lifestyle choices and genetics).

HOLA443

This research has been totally mangled by journos.

No-one is differentiating between types of cancer - lung, bone, brain, etc. And the most likely cancer i.e. the ones that occur in the largest number.

Yes, a large number of types of cancers are just bad luck. Or, would appear so, with the science at the mo.

However, the majority of cancers are environment/life style.

Lung cancers due to smoking is slowly dropping down due to fewer people smoking.

Cancers connected to obesity are rising at a rapid click. You don't appear to get cancer from being obese, rather that being the side affects of being obese, mainly having loads of insulin slushing round your body gives a turbo boast to tumours that your body may have dealt with.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Depends whether any of these have ever made it past the age of 50 ?

Maybe one out of ten from those over 50 ?

From everyone else I know - it does seem "light" on the cancer front.

HOLA4410

Lung cancers due to smoking is slowly dropping down due to fewer people smoking.

Lifestyle has an impact on genetics, but genetics is really the root cause, though Babyboomer generation women with their insanely widespread chain smoking habits appear to be going through a life expectancy crash, dying many years if not decades younger than many in their mothers' generation from cancer.

Cancers connected to obesity are rising at a rapid click. You don't appear to get cancer from being obese, rather that being the side affects of being obese, mainly having loads of insulin slushing round your body gives a turbo boast to tumours that your body may have dealt with.

Obesity doesn't help and causes many other health problems, but I don't see having the same risks as smoking in causing cancer.

It's a very complex combination of lifestyle and environment merely compounding the completely arbitrary genetics.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

My wife got a particularly nasty breast cancer prognosis in her late thirties. She did the surgery, chemo and radio and it all looked good for a while. She's recently (11 years later) had it come back almost everywhere, but the treatment she had back then gave her a decade she would not have had, and mostly in perfect health.

She's not having treatment this time (it's not a fight that can be won) but we are lucky enough to have an oncologist who is prepared to give it to her straight. I think doctors sometimes get carried away with it all and try anything/everything.

I'm very sorry to hear this, buckers. Best wishes to you all.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Archived