House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

libspero

Most Cancer Cases Pure Bad Luck, Not Preventable

Cancer is normal. Everyone has it all the time iirc ? I imagine the important thing is how different peoples bodies deal with it.

There is a lot of fear surrounding death.....no death is a good death, but one day we will all die...death is yet but another unnecessary loss in a life of continual losses and gains....better to have loved than to never loved at all.

There is a lot of fear surrounding death.....no death is a good death, but one day we will all die...death is yet but another unnecessary loss in a life of continual losses and gains....better to have loved than to never loved at all.

Heard mention on the Today programme that a doctor reckoned cancer was a good way to die and we should stop wasting money researching it...once terminal you have time to take stock.

Tend not to agree...it assumes that you will decline into inactive bad health if you live a long time. Possibly climbing Ben Nevis at 95 and getting a heart attack would be a better way to go.

Heard mention on the Today programme that a doctor reckoned cancer was a good way to die and we should stop wasting money researching it...once terminal you have time to take stock.

Tend not to agree...it assumes that you will decline into inactive bad health if you live a long time. Possibly climbing Ben Nevis at 95 and getting a heart attack would be a better way to go.

Dying quietly in your sleep suddenly at a age where you have full mental capacity and full working body sounds good. Not so good for the people you were driving on the bus though!

Having pain, or months of nasty treatments that destroy the quality of your life has to be something to avoid.

Cancer must be the greatest fear of all....it can come to anyone, at any age, both healthy or unhealthy, rich or poor, and even if you overcome it there is still that thought/fear that it will resurface at any time.....we should still research it...but more importantly research a way people with only a short period of life left can die in peace without physical or mental pain and suffering in a way and the place with the people they want around them.

Thought it was a stupid comment. If all scientists over the ages had that view we would still be dying in our 30s from now treatable diseases.

The conclusion was stupid. I thought the part about being able to prepare for your demise over a few months had some merit.

I was under the belief that we all had cancer in us and it only took something to trigger it or not....stress was one thing that did not help...In fact we know very little about cancer and why it appears in some and not in others. ;)

I think it's worth separating out dying from cancer and dying as a result of treatment for cancer.

Anyway, I find the doctors comments ill judged, as from my own personal experience getting cancer is not a good way to go.

I reckon this thread'll run and run once it gets going properly.

Like my bottom over Christmas, although I do have a special diet!

Heard mention on the Today programme that a doctor reckoned cancer was a good way to die and we should stop wasting money researching it...once terminal you have time to take stock.Tend not to agree...it assumes that you will decline into inactive bad health if you live a long time. Possibly climbing Ben Nevis at 95 and getting a heart attack would be a better way to go.

Well if you get testicular cancer in your 30s it is a f*cking stupid comment because the disease if treated has something like a 97% remission rate of more than 5 years. If you get lung cancer in your late 70s or 80s then you are probably better off avoiding the pain of chemotherapy or radiation treatment since there is an 80% plus chance the disease will kill you in 5 years regardless of what you do. The choice of treatment needs to be informed by potential outcomes not just how you might snuff it. Anyway a good portion of older cancer sufferers do not die directly from the disease but from some other factor so resigning yourself to a death from untreated cancer does not necessarily mean you will fade out in a morphine induced stupor. You are just as likely suffer a painful cardiac arrest, a disabling stroke or respiratory failure along the way. In that respect the choice may be no choice at all.

Well if you get testicular cancer in your 30s it is a f*cking stupid comment because the disease if treated has something like a 97% remission rate of more than 5 years.

Yes it does depend on the cancer. Ones right deep inside your body are likely to be harder to treat then the ones on the extremities.

Most cancer cases pure bad luck, not preventable - study shows

http://rt.com/news/219347-cancer-random-bad-luck/

About two-thirds of all cancer cases were not caused by environmental factors or bad genes, but rather resulted from random bad luck during stem cell division, a new statistical study says.

Quick! Someone shut this man up. How can doctors and drugs companies make money out of vicious truths like this!

If you get cancer after 80 or 85, oh well that's not great but understandable and let it take its course (like pneumonia), but I still think it's very badly timed and very tragic to die from cancer up to the age of 75 (when you're fairly likely to be reasonably cognitive and able bodied). I always assumed cancer was luck of the draw and down to rubbish genetics (with smoking, drink, and class-A drugs exacerbating things). Being overweight or obese is mainly a red herring - a endless swathe of thin and athletic people died young or relatively young from cancer.

If you get cancer after 80 or 85, oh well that's not great but understandable and let it take its course (like pneumonia), but I still think it's very badly timed and very tragic to die from cancer up to the age of 75 (when you're fairly likely to be reasonably cognitive and able bodied). I always assumed cancer was luck of the draw and down to rubbish genetics (with smoking, drink, and class-A drugs exacerbating things). Being overweight or obese is mainly a red herring - a endless swathe of thin and athletic people died young or relatively young from cancer.

The family my sister married into is riddled with cancer , every member has had it although the son and daughter aged in their 50`s both got over their`s and had the all clear for 10 years or so.

comparatively my fathers side has never had cancer in it at least 3 generations down , and neither has my mothers. sadly he died at a young 55 in 1991 battling a very rare muscle wasting disease 1 case in every million people he lasted 6 years fighting it on a cocktail of steroids and heart tablets

mother had previously had 3 Tia`s and a stroke in 2007 but is still around doing well 8 years later she`s 70 this year , i remember seeing a 21 yo boy in the stoke ward , so it can happen at any age.

we had a 36 yo carpenter fit wood flooring down in the house and found out afterwards he woke up one day with a blinding headache and dizzyness went to a.e and found out he had an inoperable brain tumour and was dead two days later , he had a newly born son the same year

i really do think genetics and blind luck is down to increased longevity, go down your local witherspoons and you will see many 80yo men getting drunk and smoking like a trooper having done that since they where 18

life really is a bitch

I must have good genes. Can only think of one person in my extended family who has had cancer. Including cousins etc. Big family - perhaps 20-30 people.

Sounds quite unusual ?

I must have good genes. Can only think of one person in my extended family who has had cancer. Including cousins etc. Big family - perhaps 20-30 people.

Sounds quite unusual ?

Not reallly. All male members of my family have died in comical piano winching accidents.