House Price Crash Forum

Logans Run In 2 Years?

HOLA441

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/08/assisted-dying-will-be-legal-within-two-years-bma-deputy

A change in the law that will allow terminally ill people to be helped to end their lives is inevitable and will happen within as little as a couple of years, according to the deputy chair of the British Medical Association (BMA).

Speaking in a personal capacity, Dr Kailash Chand has thrown his weight behind Lord Falconer’s private member’s bill, which would offer assisted dying to terminally ill patients who are deemed mentally capable and are likely to have less than six months to live.

On Friday, the House of Lords voted unanimously to accept an amendment to the assisted dying bill, tabled by Lord Pannick and supported by Falconer, that would see all applications for assisted death subject to judicial oversight.

The move was welcomed by campaigners as a major step in changing the law. Chand said it was clear that momentum was now swinging behind those pushing for reform.

“No change is not an option,” he told the Observer. “The present law definitely needs changing. It discriminates and is very bad law. We currently have a two-tier system – one for the people who have the resources and money to go to the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland and another for the majority of people who don’t have the resources or money.”

Some peers worry that disabled and vulnerable people will be pressured into ending their lives if the law is changed Several religious groups are opposed to the measure. The BMA, which represents Britain’s doctors, also fiercely rejects moves to legalise assisted dying.

Whilst I think everyone has the right to choose when they die if they want, I do feel that the poor and weak may be pressured into taking the economically right option. No pension sir then step this way.

HOLA442

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/nov/08/assisted-dying-will-be-legal-within-two-years-bma-deputy

Whilst I think everyone has the right to choose when they die if they want, I do feel that the poor and weak may be pressured into taking the economically right option. No pension sir then step this way.

The peers' worry is probably because they, of all the legislators, are nearest to this happening to them. :)

HOLA443
HOLA444

There's no consensus. Take a look back at previous threads on this subject:

Plenty of posts to the effect of "officious doctors kept alive my poor old mum/dad even though he was demented, bed-bound etc" and plenty of posts to the effect of "callous doctors gave up on my poor old mum/dad even though he was only demented, bed-bound etc"

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

really tough problem, my partner who watched her husband die of cancer maintains that, given the same diagnosis, she would be on the plain to switzerland immediately. But then others don't do that, whenever i hear that someone has chucked themselves under a train or lorry, personally i feel far more concerned for the driver than the person that died...

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

By law you have to mention Jenny Agutter in every internet conversation referencing Logan's Run or The Railway Children.

You must also mention Walkabout.

fnaarf fnaaarf fnaaaaarf

HOLA4413

Archived