spyguy

HOLA441
  • Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Tower of London poppies obliterated by machine guns

In a moving tribute to British soldiers who died in WWI, all 888,246 hand-made poppies at the Tower of London exhibition have been mowed down by machine gun fire.

Tourists looked on, horrified, as a row of specially restored Maschinengewehr 08 machine guns were rolled into place along the embankments and started to obliterate the fragile ceramic flowers.

“This was always the plan,” explained artist Tom Piper who helped to devise the exhibition. “Otherwise it would have just been some sort of mawkish display of nationalism.”

“No, this is the true side of war,” he added, as he drove a tank over the beautiful ceramic flowers, grinding the shards into the mud. “Perhaps I went a bit far by getting German veterans to operate the guns, but that’s art for you.”

“I came here to celebrate poppies and feel vaguely patriotic,” said one stunned onlooker watching the clouds of mustard gas spread across the exhibition. “This is so distasteful…Remembrance Day isn’t about remembering the true horror of war, it’s about the Last Post, our boys, and the nice old men on their scooters. How are we meant to feel positive about the deaths of millions now?”

“Every poppy represents a life lost and a family shattered,” said Piper. “Why, that one over there could be little Wilfred Owen. BLAM! And that one over there could be Field Marshal Haig! Oh wait, no, of course not, he was just the guy who sent 400,000 men to their deaths to gain ten miles of ground at the Somme. Silly me.”

The Tower also revealed a previously hidden side-exhibit of white flowers representing the 306 British soldiers who were executed for desertion. The white flowers were ceremonially shot by trained marksmen and dumped in unmarked graves.

“It’s important we remember what a spectacle war can be,” said David Cameron. “But we mustn’t forget that every death is a tragic loss, particularly when it’s one of the good guys.”

“Just look at them,” he said, picking up some broken petals and holding them gently in the palm of his hand. “So fragile, so innocent, and so ineffective against bullets. If we couldn’t be sure of the fact that none of them died in vain, this would be unbearably sad, wouldn’t it?”

SOLDIERS PATROL THE PERIMETER TO ENSURE NO POPPIES ATTEMPT RETREAT

tower-poppies-soldiers2.jpg

http://undergroundmgzn.com/2014/11/11/tower-london-poppies-obliterated-machine-guns/

HOLA444
HOLA445

They should have just filled the moat with blood.

I actually have a theory that the artist's intent was to convey this for some reason. Why would they be depicted in this way if it were not trying to point the finger ?

Especially when you look at stuff like the 'blood' pouring from the tower and 'splashing' over the entrance:

poppies-8.jpg

jimcrossleytoweroflondon2_verge_super_wi

I'm surprised the Windsors' agreed to this, it makes them look really bad, to me (and I'm sure to other too) this looks like a symbolic representation of all the blood spilled by the royals in their name in senseless wars of conquest all over the world...

HOLA446

I think they've been naive. And much of the media and the visitors too. I haven't seen any intelligent comment along these lines apart from on here.

The Land and the King are One, indivisible. The blood that flowed was the life blood of The Nation. Yadi yadi yada. It would have been a straightforward sell.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Sainsbury's New Xmas Advert portrays the 1914 Xmas truce and football match.... Also the follow up video (on the same page) goes into a little bit of history about the truce and how far up and down the line it spread.

Apparently the Military commanders on both sides were horrified something like that could be instigated at trench level and sanctioned by local commanders.

Word came on high it was never to occur again under severe penalty of fraternising with the enemy (both sides) and it didn't, the guns never fell silent again n Dec 25th.

Worth a watch..

http://youtu.be/Jx3pQWbysmM

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Was the advert an allegory on Aldi invading these shores?

Sainsbury staff will be shot for shopping at Aldi under the orders of the management.

(The major UK supermarkets may care to research their minimum wage, tax credit/housing benefit collecting staff to find out where they shop. If their own staff cannot afford to shop there (sans incentives), they should know something is wrong.)

I'm not really certain why employees being customers, of their employer's business, is ever seen as any sort of desirable or meaningful metric.

No-one that works at Rolls-Royce on the shop floor can afford a jet engine but I don't see it means anything.

Staff discount take-up at Sainsburys was notoriously low decades ago and will inevitably be the case with any service industry business aimed at a higher income demographic.

HOLA4412

Archived