House Price Crash Forum

Big Black Monthly Thread

zugzwang

HOLA441

Got to hand it to the Yanks at 17,500 in after close trading; they are leaving base camp 3 and are within a few days push of the previous peak. Meanwhile the UK is still stuck at base camp, taking it cautiously, not even making the 50% retrace. A tail of woe just like the last 16 years for the FTSE.

http://www.ig.com/uk/ig-indices/wall-street

Edited by crashmonitor

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Got to hand it to the Yanks at 17,500 in after close trading; they are leaving base camp 3 and are within a few days push of the previous peak. Meanwhile the UK is still stuck at base camp, taking it cautiously, not even making the 50% retrace. A tail of woe just like the last 16 years for the FTSE.

FTSE has much bigger exposure to the commodities deflation coming out of China and EMs.

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA443
HOLA444

Would be very unusual to regain peak in only a couple of months. Price dislocations typically take longer than that. 1987 (as an extreme example) took 2 years in nominal terms. 2011 took 9 months. But this is still a strong bull market so it may recover more rapidly. Obviously it is overbought near term (daily) so will likely give up some of this move in next month or so. But that will simply be another buying opp in this long (and much derided) bull market.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Well I did speak a bit too soon re. the FTSE. Made a bit of ground and the 50% retrace in the last few minutes. May be they have made base camp one after all. I need to keep talking it down obviously.

There's simply no where else to put your money as far as I am concerned. I'm up about 8% since the start of the year. How is cash doing?

HOLA447
HOLA448

There's simply no where else to put your money as far as I am concerned. I'm up about 8% since the start of the year. How is cash doing?

YTD, I'm at around 0% total return inc divis. Which is not too bad considering slight overexposure to oiles and miners. As I'm only really interested in the divis, I can afford to be relatively sanguine.

My problem is non-equity diversification. Diversification is supposed to be our only free lunch but at 2%, it's a pretty bare plate if you whack cash into fixed term savings bonds. I've just come to the end of one paying 4% so I'm feeling skint just now!

HOLA449

Well indeed if Italy is seen as more credit worthy than the UK something is slightly wrong. Default is in the Italian DNA, how many bloody times have they defaulted and how many times has the UK since the late 1600s, I can answer for the UK, zero, in spite of Napoleon, Hitler and god knows what else.. Italy more times than some people have had hot dinners probably.

Bonds in la la land, rather makes a good case for Equity.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4410

YTD, I'm at around 0% total return inc divis. Which is not too bad considering slight overexposure to oiles and miners. As I'm only really interested in the divis, I can afford to be relatively sanguine.

My problem is non-equity diversification. Diversification is supposed to be our only free lunch but at 2%, it's a pretty bare plate if you whack cash into fixed term savings bonds. I've just come to the end of one paying 4% so I'm feeling skint just now!

YTD 21.11%

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results/f/fundsmith-equity-class-i-accumulation/charts

HOLA4411

Well the tracker I trade started the year at 2.739 it will close at 2.76 today (roughly) as it is based on the noon fix . So yeah, with dividends, should be about breaking even. Since the collapse in June rather been sitting on my hands hoping for a revisit to my last trade so I can start trading again may be.

I could sell at a loss hoping for this much forecast second leg down to. Creek no paddle if it didn't materialise.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

And yet markets react overwhelmingly postitively! :blink:

I guess they were expecting it, now lets just wait for the next cut because this one will do sod all.....

HOLA4415

I guess they were expecting it, now lets just wait for the next cut because this one will do sod all.....

Well I guess any interest rate move downwards makes the Equity yield look more attractive, be it with the risk of a capital loss.

At one time you used to get a decent 3% return on bond and building societies over dividend yield to compensate for the lack of capital growth potential. now it seems we are stuck with the bizarre status of negative real bond returns and about 2% on building society fixes as compared to 4%ish return on Equity.

HOLA4416

As Jim Puplava pointed out in the most recent FSN, many companies and banks literally swim in cash at the moment, and bonds pay zero interest. So, money pours into the stock market.

This is the mark of the hyper-inflation beast. :ph34r:

HOLA4417

I think he said money might move into stocks if rates and stocks rise. But he definitely said banks are charging institutions to keep cash on deposit. Probably because the cost of insuring deposits means they're struggling to make margins lending to customers/business/government. That's the opposite of impending hyper-inflation.

HOLA4418

Quite an interesting chart from this guy that predicted a Short Squeeze on Equity Markets on 15th September, whence the DOW has gained 1000 points. Feels like it is still happening, the shorts had a good attempt this morning that halted at 6,400 on the FTSE and did look like it might be successful at one point. On the other hand they may just be playing with themselves :unsure: and stop lossing their shorts as they fail to dislodge any longs. I guess the volume of bets shows how unstable things were, and may be still are, nevertheless on global markets.

http://www.seeitmarket.com/are-stock-market-bears-at-risk-of-a-short-squeeze-14756/

We probably need some really bad news like VW to end this Short Squeeze and turn things around, no doubt that news is on the way some time very soon. Sub $48 Brent is doing its bit for the shorts too.

Edited by crashmonitor

HOLA4419

If Boehner's 2 year deal on the debt ceiling sticks then the US treasury will be back pounding the markets for cash quicker than you can say 'flash crash'.

Get short or get out!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/26/speaker-boehner-last-deal-2-year-budget-debt-ceiling/

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA4420

If Boehner's 2 year deal on the debt ceiling sticks then the US treasury will be back pounding the markets for cash quicker than you can say 'flash crash'.

Get short or get out!

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/26/speaker-boehner-last-deal-2-year-budget-debt-ceiling/

I'd be very surprised if we don't get another dip soon. In the absence of more stimulus it feels like this leg of the Equity recovery has run its course. All eyes on the Fed today. Still optimistic for a year end rally that will take things back above where we are today.

HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well I guess any interest rate move downwards makes the Equity yield look more attractive, be it with the risk of a capital loss.

At one time you used to get a decent 3% return on bond and building societies over dividend yield to compensate for the lack of capital growth potential. now it seems we are stuck with the bizarre status of negative real bond returns and about 2% on building society fixes as compared to 4%ish return on Equity.

Which is just one reason why this bull market has oodles to run yet.

We havent even started the rate "tightening" cycle. Yield curve still very +ve & weve yet to see the blow off.

HOLA4423

I'd be very surprised if we don't get another dip soon. In the absence of more stimulus it feels like this leg of the Equity recovery has run its course. All eyes on the Fed today. Still optimistic for a year end rally that will take things back above where we are today.

Draghi and Corroder will be back with more QE & NIRP before the year's out, no doubt. Can't see that having much effect unless Draghi goes completely insane and prints $5 trillion equivalent or something. Who knows? But NIRP is contractionary and the Japanese govt is already running out of securities to swap.

As I see it now, the Chinese burning through ~$200bn a month in dollar reserves to hold up the yuan is the fuse on the doomsday machine. At that rate they won't make it through 2016 before they have to pull the plug. All hell will break loose if/when they're forced to devalue again.

Edited by zugzwang

HOLA4424

Draghi and Corroder will be back with more QE & NIRP before the year's out, no doubt. Can't see that having much effect unless Draghi goes completely insane and prints $5 trillion or something. Who knows? But NIRP is contractionary and the Japanese govt is already running out of securities to swap.

As I see it now, the Chinese burning through ~$200bn a month in dollar reserves to hold up the yuan is the fuse on the doomsday machine. At that rate they won't make it through 2016 before they have to pull the plug. All hell will break loose if/when they're forced to devalue again.

I wont be getting nervous until youve given up on your DOOOOM narrative. Looks like a long way to go yet.

HOLA4425