House Price Crash Forum

General Election Votes For 16 Year Olds?

juvenal

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

Just heard Salmond demanding UK wide voting rights for 16 year olds at the next Election...

A fair demand, or just a backdoor attempt to collar hundreds of thousands of votes for the Left?

I wouldn't assume any such thing would benefit the left. Not by a long way.

Hard to know who would benefit, or even whether it would concentrate the politicians' minds a little more on them, given that "youth issues" are already high on the hot-air agenda. But I don't see why not: they're as capable of thinking as the rest of us.

HOLA444

Just heard Salmond demanding UK wide voting rights for 16 year olds at the next Election...

A fair demand, or just a backdoor attempt to collar hundreds of thousands of votes for the Left?

Does he want 16 year olds to have all the rights of adults e.g. borrow money, buy alcohol etc? If so then fair enough. If not then what a hypocrite.

HOLA445

Of course labour want this - the meme taught in education from a primary school age is essentially left wing (by which I mean multi-cult and statist). Takes most people until early 30s to realise what a load of ******** it is compared to the real world.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

who is A Salmond to 'demand' anything ? is he in power, or just a Scottish MP who has resigned leadership of his party.

I think 16 year olds as an age group lack the analytical power to judge the issues and given an election every 5 years or so they do not generally have long to wait to vote on reaching 18. When I was young it was 21 to be able to vote!

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Probably true but 16 and 17 years are not legally adults. Maybe they should be, but giving them one right and no more looks cynical.

They can work full time and pay taxes, they can get married, they can become parents...they live in the country and they are the countries future...all about planning ahead voting for the long-term.....many of our fundamental problems stem from not enough forward long-term planning.....far to much short-term tweaking at the edges. ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Old enough to pay tax?

Old enough to vote.

Very simple for me.

+1

Miliband has announced Labour will introduce it anyway.

I think there's an argument to withdraw the vote at a certain age too. Retirement age may be a little early, but is there not an argument for saying you can't vote past, say, 75? or 80? Just like non-working children.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

+1

I think there's an argument to withdraw the vote at a certain age too. Retirement age may be a little early, but is there not an argument for saying you can't vote past, say, 75? or 80? Just like non-working children.

The House of Lords would need a re-think. Not that it doesn't need one already, of course.

HOLA4417

They can work full time and pay taxes, they can get married, they can become parents...they live in the country and they are the countries future...all about planning ahead voting for the long-term.....many of our fundamental problems stem from not enough forward long-term planning.....far to much short-term tweaking at the edges. ;)

They can't work full time any more in England (unless it is an apprenticeship, although they can in Scotland!

https://www.gov.uk/know-when-you-can-leave-school

"You must stay in some form of education or training until your 18th birthday if you were born on or after 1 September 1997.

"

Do you want 16 year olds to be able to borrow money?

Anyone who has enough money can pay taxes a 5 year old who is a child actor pays taxes.

To be honest I don't mind 16 year olds having the same rights as an 18 year old and if Salmond were calling for that I wouldn't mind but he is not doing so.

HOLA4418

They can't work full time any more in England (unless it is an apprenticeship, although they can in Scotland!

"You must stay in some form of education or training until your 18th birthday if you were born on or after 1 September 1997.

"

Anyone who has enough money can pay taxes a 5 year old who is a child actor pays taxes.

To be honest I don't mind 16 year olds having the same rights as an 18 year old and if Salmond were calling for that I wouldn't mind but he is not doing so.

Crikey.

Well that just looks like exactly what it is.

Dole number manipulation. Is that right? Can you REALLY not leave school at 16 and go work in a garage?

******ing hell.

That is disgraceful.

HOLA4419

Crikey.

Well that just looks like exactly what it is.

Dole number manipulation. Is that right? Can you REALLY not leave school at 16 and go work in a garage?

******ing hell.

That is disgraceful.

That was, education or training.

Tom Sharpe's "Wilt" gives you a bit of historical (1970s) perspective on that: a long-suffering man whose job it was to provide the education part of that law as it was for an earlier generation.

HOLA4420

+1

so you pay tax and you vote.

since when has being over 75 meant NO TAX to pay therefore no vote - that is a nonsensical argument.

so if someone pays no tax (because on benefits, SAHM ) they should not get to vote. :o

HOLA4421

"

This is nothing to do with Salmond......this is to do with people and whether or not they are seen to be worthy to vote to represent their country and their future.....as many young people don't vote I don't expect a huge take up, but those interested and concerned enough should imo be given the chance to do so.....I started full time work at 16 and paid taxes for many more years after that, still do. ;)

HOLA4422

This is nothing to do with Salmond......this is to do with people and whether or not they are seen to be worthy to vote to represent their country and their future.....as many young people don't vote I don't expect a huge take up, but those interested and concerned enough should imo be given the chance to do so.....I started full time work at 16 and paid taxes for many more years after that, still do. ;)

1) The debate was started by Salmond so I think it is something to do with him

2) The fact that you started work at 16 is irrelevant my Gran started at 14 so should 14 years old have the vote?

3) Do you think that 16 years old should be able to i) buy alcohol, ii) fight as soldiers iii) borrow money iv) have the vote v) think it is logical to have different answers to the first 4 questions?

HOLA4423

1) The debate was started by Salmond so I think it is something to do with him

2) The fact that you started work at 16 is irrelevant my Gran started at 14 so should 14 years old have the vote?

3) Do you think that 16 years old should be able to i) buy alcohol, ii) fight as soldiers iii) borrow money iv) have the vote v) think it is logical to have different answers to the first 4 questions?

They can drive a car at 17....look, why do you not think a 16 or 17 year old is mature enough to know what they believe in....many of us change our views and politics throughout our lives, there is a high chance they will do the same....makes them feel connected and involved.

No I don't think buying alcohol or fighting or borrowing money is something that they should do...endangers both life and creditability anyway they will be having to clock up thousands of pounds worth of debt a few years later that should be plenty to contend with for many years to come. ;)

Edited by winkie

HOLA4424

They can drive a car at 17....look, why do you not think a 16 or 17 year old is mature enough to know what they believe in....many of us change our views and politics throughout our lives, there is a high chance they will do the same....makes them feel connected and involved.

No I don't think buying alcohol or fighting or borrowing money is something that they should do...endangers both life and creditability anyway they will be having to clock up thousands of pounds worth of debt a few years later that should be plenty to contend with for many years to come. ;)

I did say "To be honest I don't mind 16 year olds having the same rights as an 18 year old and if Salmond were calling for that I wouldn't mind but he is not doing so."

So I am not sure why you are asking me whether I think that are mature enough to know what they believe. I think it is possible but we would have to change other rights as well.

So you think that it is ok for 16 year old are mature to vote for a government that could send soldiers to war but not mature enough to be a soldier or borrow £250 to start a business. That is not a very consistent view but not everyone thinks consistency is a virtue. Are you Alec Salmond in disguise?

HOLA4425