House Price Crash Forum

Train Fares

Patfig

HOLA441

I might have to "pop" to Manchester tomorrow at short notice from Plymouth and come back the following day so have just looked at the trainline.com

I am in shock cheapest single tomorrow morning standard £147 and return fare £147 too :blink:

I think I will charter a helicopter instead

No wonder we are in the sh1t

HOLA442

I booked 2 single journeys with Virgin trains (mum visiting) first class, Glasgow to London, direct, 4.5 hrs journey, refreshments included. Cost for each ticket was £33. Been doing it for years now. Most expensive tickets cost me roughly £110 for a return. I have been booking well in advance though.

HOLA443

It's the price you pay for safety. The massive disruption to the rail network anytime someone gets killed. If you applied the same standards to the roads as for some rail disasters, your annual insurance could cost more than a new car, and closures would mean you'd struggle to get from Plimuff to Manchester at all within a day.

HOLA444

I booked 2 single journeys with Virgin trains (mum visiting) first class, Glasgow to London, direct, 4.5 hrs journey, refreshments included. Cost for each ticket was £33. Been doing it for years now. Most expensive tickets cost me roughly £110 for a return. I have been booking well in advance though.

For a fare you can get by turning up on the day, go via Dublin.

Plimuff (or any UK station) to Dublin, £38. Manchester possibly near enough for Dublin-Manchester to be cheaper than that.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Flying can sometimes be cheaper. (Manc/London). I'm serious btw.

Presumably you don't want to drive?

You can get dirt cheap off peak intercity fares if you hunt around and book in advance or 2 travelling together discounts on 1st class which can be significant too.

Only MPs can afford full 1st class rail fares.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

According to the promotional film below, Jimmy Savile travelled 39,000 'train-miles' per year.

Maybe they're expecting legal action, and are hiking the fares to cover the compo to all those claiming he groped them in the guard's van, or bummed them in the buffet car... ;)

XYY

HOLA4412

According to the promotional film below, Jimmy Savile travelled 39,000 'train-miles' per year.

Maybe they're expecting legal action, and are hiking the fares to cover the compo to all those claiming he groped them in the guard's van, or bummed them in the buffet car... ;)

XYY

And he probably did.

I don't and didn't believe a word JS said, in that Louis Theroux documentary I so wanted the weak as dishwater Theroux to occasionally find the strength to say "That's a lie isn't it?".

O

Cross off the car option if you're intending to get wrecked up there Pat ;)

HOLA4413

Driving's always far cheaper, I'd guess six hours of mostly motorway driving, cruise control on and listening to the radio.

I usually have to hire three black ladies to sing along

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Driving's always far cheaper, I'd guess six hours of mostly motorway driving, cruise control on and listening to the radio.

Simply not true about it being always cheaper. (though probably is with a full car)

Plus you're valuing your time and comfort at nothing. You can work ( or read or whatever ....) on the train. 6 hours of my life is worth a fair bit.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Driving's always far cheaper, I'd guess six hours of mostly motorway driving

Driving's always cheaper - if you already have one and have splashed £1000s on buying it, insuring it, maintaining it etc.

For people with car-dependent lives, it's probably cheaper to drive as they'll be amortising these costs over their daily routines of commuting by car, shopping by car, etc.

However, if you're travelling at a weekend it's sometimes cost-effective to hire a car (as most hire companies are resourced for weekday peaks).

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I might have to "pop" to Manchester tomorrow at short notice from Plymouth and come back the following day so have just looked at the trainline.com

I am in shock cheapest single tomorrow morning standard £147 and return fare £147 too :blink:

I think I will charter a helicopter instead

No wonder we are in the sh1t

Ha,

I might have to pop to Bangor tomorrow from Plymouth and back 2 days later (it's a 7 hr journey).

I was planning to drive.

But I thought I'd just look at the train fares in case I was pleasantly surprised.

It wasn't. £162.50.

(~£23.00 an hour)

It's a huge cost to speculative 'work' if you live away from the centre, and so slows regional progress.

It needs to be cheaper so that this country can get moving to work.

Archived