House Price Crash Forum

Smug People Without Kids

HOLA441

I encounter a lot of people without kids who are very smug about it. I used to think they were pleased that their time and their money was their own. However, I now think they're secretly pleased that their retirement will be funded by other people's kids paying tax/contributing to pension funds.

Maybe I'm paranoid... but there's nothing that makes me want to smash a face in more than a smug condescending smirk.

Perhaps there should be extra income tax levied on people without kids?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443

Have your kids not hung around to tend to your needs ?

The oldest has only just stopped wearing nappies! :):):) (she is 2)

HOLA444
HOLA445

I encounter a lot of people without kids who are very smug about it. I used to think they were pleased that their time and their money was their own. However, I now think they're secretly pleased that their retirement will be funded by other people's kids paying tax/contributing to pension funds.

Maybe I'm paranoid... but there's nothing that makes me want to smash a face in more than a smug condescending smirk.

I think you seem to have posted on the Housepricecrash forum by mistake rather than the Mumsnet site.

I suggest you post this topic over there so you can bask in your reproductive awesomeness.

HOLA446

Considering the monetary state benefits assigned to families I suspect it's more evenly balanced than you imply, although the middle income families who miss out on said benefits must find it hard

HOLA447
HOLA448

swings and roundabouts

as someone without kids i meet people with them who act like they're doing the world a favour and i'm being selfish

HOLA449

Erm imho there is no more selfish and flippantly made decision from most people than having kids. From observation, many make this choice purely because it's the done thing without being capable of providing for them in terms of tim, love and financial stability. it is a huge decision to make and often one done without the necessary thought because of family, peer or societal pressure.

as for single people being kept in gravy in old age, that applies equally to parents, if not more so. I consider myself one of a very small bunch who is actively working on making damn sure that I've done everything possible not to be a burden on anyone or any institution.

basically you are talking tripe :-)

HOLA4410

Also, do you really think the mahority of the populace are truly aware of how pension funds, especially the state quasi ponzi actually work? I doubt it and I certaonly doubt singletons are basking in smugness pleased that they'll be the recipient of a tax take from future gens.

the more I think about it the more this must be a wind up. in which case well done.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

While I understand that smirks annoy, (particularly if you haven't had much sleep) I do think you are wrong hiace. Have recently spent a weekend in the company of a 4 year old and a 8 month old - and found it exhausting I have some sympathy (and relief when I said goodbye to the little cherubs).

Many would love to have kids but cannot afford them, are single or simply can't have them. Personally, I am quite happy to contribute my considerable taxes to help support the bringing up of other people's kids who will form the next generation (and likely the generation after that too). The flip side is that I hope that someone younger will be able ease my final days regardless of whether I have the money to do so (although like Frugal - I'm not counting on not having to pay for it). That's how society works.

I also think that many parents have kids with practically no clue about the impact they'll have on their lives, and somehow muddle through. I've seen this close to home recently where a relative has split with their partner shortly after their second child. Basically, the relationship cannot stand the additional burden placed upon it, and some are basically unable, or unwilling, to take responsibility for their actions.

Personally, I suspect most parents don't sit down and say let's have kids because it's our duty to provide someone to support older people in the future. If they get as far as thinking about the future in that way at all, I suspect it's all me, me, me (i.e. you're hoping they'll wipe your ass when you are no longer able to - and never mind anyone else's). I will also be very surprised if the kids of anyone posting on this forum ends up wiping backsides of the old as their primary contribution to society - unless called to nursing.

HOLA4413

It is a classic money versus real world issue.

In real world terms you are relying in your decrepitude on the services and efforts of the young regardless of whether you have built up sufficient tokens to buy units of young.

The point the OP seems to be making is that other people are going to be leeching off the future efforts of his young.

With or without my own young I don't believe I'll be leeching. That's because by the time I reach my state pension age of 124 it will be means tested and because I've taken responsibility for my actions and life I won't be eligible.

HOLA4414

It is a classic money versus real world issue.

In real world terms you are relying in your decrepitude on the services and efforts of the young regardless of whether you have built up sufficient tokens to buy units of young.

The point the OP seems to be making is that other people are going to be leeching off the future efforts of his young.

I'd say he's upset because they're leeching off his efforts (to raise the young).

It's make vs buy like we import doctors and nurses from the lesser developed world. the OP is doing the hard work and then the dinkies come along and buy them off with a tokens which under value his efforts.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I have no doubt there are plenty of people who will be leeching off the op's young hotairmail, but I doubt most of them are conscious of doing so. We've created a society of drones who have little to no understamd or indeed will to understand the pillars in place.

which is why I think it'll inevtiably collapse and thus am planning for that. I have no intention of buying young workers to farm with it, the choices are making sure I can do things myself or euthanise.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

With or without my own young I don't believe I'll be leeching. That's because by the time I reach my state pension age of 124 it will be means tested and because I've taken responsibility for my actions and life I won't be eligible.

It's not just pensions though is it?

Maybe the old won't have such a democratic voice when the demographics even out and the disenfranchised young realise how they can be heard.

HOLA4419

Should imagine any smugness is more due to a) being able to have a lie in at the weekend B) not being woken in the night c) not having plastic toys strewn all over the living room, d) not having to cart along a load of baby paraphernalia every time they go out.

You never know, they may find themselves saddled with 'kids' one day in the form of parents with dementia and believe me, it's a lot harder dealing with a stroppy oldie who wets itself and doesn't want a bath, than it is with a 2 year old.

HOLA4420

Again hotairmail, that is if you make the choice to continue to live in a way that requires country/society that wilk do that for you. wishicouldaffordone and I probably are both od the mind that we're looking towards as much self sufficiency as possible.

HOLA4421

I don't think you understand my point. Regardless of whether you live in an economy with money tokens or not, you will be reliant on those younger to bring in the harvest, resurface roads, wipe your bottom. To that extent you will be 'leeching,' off the magnificent familial efforts others. :-)

If you have kids then they might do some of those things for you. If you don't then you will be handing over tokens in exchange for all of those things. Therefore no leaching off others in either case.

HOLA4422

How is it any better having your own kids funding your retirement? Do you think you own them or something?

HOLA4423

I think you seem to have posted on the Housepricecrash forum by mistake rather than the Mumsnet site.

I suggest you post this topic over there so you can bask in your reproductive awesomeness.

Thanks MSE refugee this made me smile.

Can't really help but think that we're going to need a massive increase in population if we're going to be able to pay off the national debt and continue to pay the states over generous pensions bill.

The problem is we need this huge population for a generation or two and then if we're to avoid having to keep doubling the size of the nation they need to kind of die out in one generation.

It goes back to the argument for immigration, increase the population to tend and pay for the older generation but then who does that for their generation.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Erm imho there is no more selfish and flippantly made decision from most people than having kids. From observation, many make this choice purely because it's the done thing without being capable of providing for them in terms of tim, love and financial stability. it is a huge decision to make and often one done without the necessary thought because of family, peer or societal pressure.

as for single people being kept in gravy in old age, that applies equally to parents, if not more so. I consider myself one of a very small bunch who is actively working on making damn sure that I've done everything possible not to be a burden on anyone or any institution.

basically you are talking tripe :-)

Amen.

Archived