• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

Cameron getting rid of lots of men from his Cabinet? Wonder why? Surprised to see Hague go - wonder who will replace him?

Philip Hammond. Neither Jeremy Hunt or Michael Gove would surprise me though but, very unsurprised Hague is going.

HOLA447

I think that this thread is in serious danger of being shut down because people insist on naming living people in connection with a huge scandal with no evidence except dislike.

Maybe those namers and shamers should consider starting a cabinet reshuffle thread. The changes in themselves are interesting and I would imagine are primarily motivated by next May's general election.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I think that this thread is in serious danger of being shut down because people insist on naming living people in connection with a huge scandal with no evidence except dislike.

Maybe those namers and shamers should consider starting a cabinet reshuffle thread. The changes in themselves are interesting and I would imagine are primarily motivated by next May's general election.

No-one has made direct allegations and I think you are only seeing them by applying a knowledge of things read away from this site and filling in your own blanks.

As is evidenced with Butler-Sloss even tangential links to a cover-up is career ending so given the vintage of this scandal it is not a surprise, or unreasonable, to conclude that two of the longest-serving politicians with links to the previous Tory government stepping aside suddenly is noteworthy. It's difficult to see how you could screw up policy at the ministry of without portfolio.

Increasingly it looks to be the case that either the assumption or demonstrably having knowledge of a cover-up, despite no direct involvement, where this scandal is concerned, is going to prove to be politically very difficult.

It could easily be the case that experienced ministers are being disposed of due to, quite possibly unfounded fears, they may have had knowledge of the cover-up and are collateral damage in a pre-emptive damage limitation exercise.

HOLA4411

No-one has made direct allegations and I think you are only seeing them by applying a knowledge of things read away from this site and filling in your own blanks.

As is evidenced with Butler-Sloss even tangential links to a cover-up is career ending so given the vintage of this scandal it is not a surprise, or unreasonable, to conclude that two of the longest-serving politicians with links to the previous Tory government stepping aside suddenly is noteworthy. It's difficult to see how you could screw up policy at the ministry of without portfolio.

Increasingly it looks to be the case that either the assumption or demonstrably having knowledge of a cover-up, despite no direct involvement, where this scandal is concerned, is going to prove to be politically very difficult.

It could easily be the case that experienced ministers are being disposed of due to, quite possibly unfounded fears, they may have had knowledge of the cover-up.

an implication can be defamatory although you cannot defame a dead person.

HOLA4412

Cameron getting rid of lots of men from his Cabinet? Wonder why? Surprised to see Hague go....

I get the impression that this was Hague's decision rather than Cameron's; standing down as an MP as well unlike, for example, The Cretin Gordon Brown.

HOLA4413

Yep, I couldn't be bothered to start a new thread - on smartphone - about the reshuffle. Hammond replaces Hague and Hague becomes leader oc the house - on Newsnight they reckon he is winding down to retire and write books.

The fact that no one on HPC thought the reshuffle was significant enough for its own thread speaks volumes. Tory Nights of the Long Knives historically are usually a prelude to electoral defeat (ie they are the last gasp of a failing administration). I wonder if this will be any different. While some of those going are obviously doing so of their own volition (Clarke, Hague etc) others are going to be less than happy. Cameron is creating a fair number of potential enemies on his back benches. And he still has not got rid of the utterly useless IDS.

HOLA4414

The fact that no one on HPC thought the reshuffle was significant enough for its own thread speaks volumes. Tory Nights of the Long Knives historically are usually a prelude to electoral defeat (is they are the last gasp of a failing administration). I wonder if this will be any different. While some of those going are obviously doing so of their own volition (Clarke, Hague etc) others are going to be less than happy. Cameron is creating a fair number of potential enemies on his back benches. And he still has not got rid of the utterly useless IDS.

Hague quitting Parliament must be indicative of his expectation that the Tories won't be in government after next May.

HOLA4415

The fact that no one on HPC thought the reshuffle was significant enough for its own thread speaks volumes. Tory Nights of the Long Knives historically are usually a prelude to electoral defeat (is they are the last gasp of a failing administration). I wonder if this will be any different. While some of those going are obviously doing so of their own volition (Clarke, Hague etc) others are going to be less than happy. Cameron is creating a fair number of potential enemies on his back benches. And he still has not got rid of the utterly useless IDS.

Cameron clearly thinks that the Female vote is more important than Essex Man. Maybe he has realised that Essex Man has defected to UKIP?

HOLA4416

Cameron clearly thinks that the Female vote is more important than Essex Man. Maybe he has realised that Essex Man has defected to UKIP?

Or the Welsh vote - the Welsh secretary has been sacked (no pretense of resignation) even though he was the only Tory Welsh secretary for decades to represent a Welsh seat.

HOLA4417

Cameron clearly considers ageism to be more acceptable than sexism if you look at the comments about the rational for the changes. Anyway it is all just electoral PR since none of the new ministers are going to be in post long enough to make any impact before 2015. The next big Cabinet reshuffle will probably be in May next year when Dave picks up his own P45.

HOLA4418

Or the Welsh vote - the Welsh secretary has been sacked (no pretense of resignation) even though he was the only Tory Welsh secretary for decades to represent a Welsh seat.

Yes amazingly the Tories had a Welsh secretary with a Welsh name who actually spoke Welsh. Obviously this anomaly could be allowed to continue.

HOLA4419

Hague quitting Parliament must be indicative of his expectation that the Tories won't be in government after next May.

Probably could no longer stand the embarrassment of being in a Cabinet that contained such a no talent disaster as IDS.

Anyway I am surprised that no one in the press is pointing out that nearly all the supposedly useless ministers that the PM is sacking were appointed to their jobs by Cameron in the first place. What does that say about his judgement and management skills.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Ken Clarke - gone, but expected

David Jones, Welsh Secretary - sacked, to be replaced by a woman from England?

William Hague - not only sacked, but standing down from Parliament next year - totally shocked.

Is this a prelude to the rise of the odious women, like Ester McVey? If it was a reshuffle based on competence, surely Teresa may would be out after the passports fiasco and the Butler-Sloss scandal?

And does it not hint at desperation and panic in advance of next year's election - a bit like Harold Macmillan's "Night of the Long Knives" in 1963?

HOLA4422

Ken Clarke - gone, but expected

David Jones, Welsh Secretary - sacked, to be replaced by a woman from England?

William Hague - not only sacked, but standing down from Parliament next year - totally shocked.

Is this a prelude to the rise of the odious women, like Ester McVey? If it was a reshuffle based on competence, surely Teresa may would be out after the passports fiasco and the Butler-Sloss scandal?

And does it not hint at desperation and panic in advance of next year's election - a bit like Harold Macmillan's "Night of the Long Knives" in 1963?

Political correctness gone mad I tell you! :unsure: BTW they will not be odious because they are women. They will be odious because they are politicians. :blink:

HOLA4423

I know nada about politics, but I always got the impression William Hague was one of the more competent politicians out there.

Obviously one of the most experienced. Surprised to see him go.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

I know nada about politics, but I always got the impression William Hague was one of the more competent politicians out there.

Obviously one of the most experienced. Surprised to see him go.

i always had some regard for Hague but I couldn't understand why he was so extreme and hawkish as Foreign Secretary - war on Libya and aspirations for war on Syria and over Ukraine.

It made me wonder whether he was being blackmailed/coerced by the NSA/GCHQ mob.

Archived