House Price Crash Forum

Working Classes Desserting To Ukip

crashmonitor

HOLA441

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/exclusive-ukip-surge-is-costing-labour-as-many-votes-as-tories-research-suggests-9523847.html

The Newark bye election said it all for me.

The election was running neck and neck when the early ballot boxes came off the town wards from the sink council estates of Newark only to be turned around later in the morning into an easy Tory win when the rural ballot boxed started arriving.

Seems all the votes came from Labour.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/exclusive-ukip-surge-is-costing-labour-as-many-votes-as-tories-research-suggests-9523847.html

The Newark bye election said it all for me.

The election was running neck and neck when the early ballot boxes came off the town wards from the sink council estates of Newark only to be turned around later in the morning into an easy Tory win when the rural ballot boxed started arriving.

Seems all the votes came from Labour.

It does surprise me how a bunch of metropolitan, middle-class, arts-degree, well-connected professional politicians can get completely out of touch with their base voters, many of whom have views that are clearly incorrect and bigoted (and we don't want to spend much time with them, we might catch Teh Poors).

HOLA443

Indeed their biggest problem is probably their out of touch Metropolitan elite leader from North London stubbornly refusing to accept there is an immigration problem. Moreover, his odd appearance is hardly like to commend him to floating voters.....a totally indulgent decision from the Trade unions and the minority of MPs and party members that voted for him. The Tories couldn't have asked for a better choice.

HOLA444

Indeed their biggest problem is probably their out of touch Metropolitan elite leader from North London stubbornly refusing to accept there is an immigration problem. Moreover, his odd appearance is hardly like to commend him to floating voters.....a totally indulgent decision from the Trade unions and the minority of MPs and party members that voted for him. The Tories couldn't have asked for a better choice.

Personal things wouldn't matter that much if he was in any way effective. But TBH if the tories decided that their new policy was to take the firstborn children of all English parents (of a sufficiently low social class) and feed them to Sogarian immigrants, you could see him declaring that 'A labour government would have an immediate review of this policy and introduce moves to discourage the consumption of large numbers of children without compromising the nutritional or cultural requirements of the Sogarians.'.

HOLA445
HOLA446

It does surprise me how a bunch of metropolitan, middle-class, arts-degree, well-connected professional politicians can get completely out of touch with their base voters, many of whom have views that are clearly incorrect and bigoted (and we don't want to spend much time with them, we might catch Teh Poors).

Let's face it. The "metropolitan, middle-class, arts-degree, well-connected professional politicians" have never in their entire lives been in touch with any voters - theirs or anyone else's.

HOLA447

Let's face it. The "metropolitan, middle-class, arts-degree, well-connected professional politicians" have never in their entire lives been in touch with any voters - theirs or anyone else's.

The most odious individual I ever met was a dyed in the wool leftie social worker. More money grabbing and selfish than all the bankers and fat cats I have run across (or over!)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

What winds me up about the whole problem is my background - Dad was a welder, I went to Cambridge; I met some of these people at Cambridge. And it was clear there that they didn't want to know someone like me (Working class? Natural Scientist? ). So I can only imagine their natural response to core labour voters..

HOLA4414

has this been on the main board?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyqoCJHbifM

He's saying the right things, but talk is cheap. The manifesto and action will do otherwise. I don't even watch the news any more, because as an ordinary punter you've no idea what's lies, and the rest is just vapid commentary.

Hard to say what the answer is now. Many are so utterly disenchanted with politicians, they are past listening. By being so completely self- and their friends-serving, politicians are reaping what they sow. Perhaps that's the real intention.

HOLA4415

Talking to an ex Notts miner last night....

Hates Thatcher with a passion, would rather murder his grandkids than vote Tory. Lifelong Labour voter and typical of their core support.

Told me last night that he voted UKIP (in the Euro's no council elections here) as he wants change.

HOLA4416

What winds me up about the whole problem is my background - Dad was a welder, I went to Cambridge; I met some of these people at Cambridge. And it was clear there that they didn't want to know someone like me (Working class? Natural Scientist? ). So I can only imagine their natural response to core labour voters..

There seems to be just as much of that in the other direction, people who seem to think that only having a working class background qualifies you for the hugely complex job of managing the country.

HOLA4417

There seems to be just as much of that in the other direction, people who seem to think that only having a working class background qualifies you for the hugely complex job of managing the country.

I imagine there would be security problems if the leader of the Opposition wasn't born with a silver spoon in his mouth like the Milibot and thereby via not receiving a massive inheritance wasn't able to game the London property market and live in an exclusive multi million pound suburb.

Imagine instead the leader of the Opposition or indeed PM lived on the Blackbird Leys Estate because he wasn't a Metropolitan elite.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I think it's more a case of everyone around the cabinet table having a very similar background, part of which would be insulation from people outside of their narrow circle.

HOLA4420

Talking to an ex Notts miner last night....

Hates Thatcher with a passion, would rather murder his grandkids than vote Tory. Lifelong Labour voter and typical of their core support.

Told me last night that he voted UKIP (in the Euro's no council elections here) as he wants change.

People are just fed up with being told what they should be thinking/feeling about any issue, particularly racial/cultural ones.

My feeling on the UKIP vote is that it's as much anti-Islam as anti-Europe. The general feeling amongst the white working class is that their heritage is being ignored and their country stolen from them. They have also come to believe that the 3 main parties have been complicit in this. Until this is addressed UKIP will keep gaining ground, regardless of what happens in Europe.

HOLA4421

People are just fed up with being told what they should be thinking/feeling about any issue, particularly racial/cultural ones.

My feeling on the UKIP vote is that it's as much anti-Islam as anti-Europe. The general feeling amongst the white working class is that their heritage is being ignored and their country stolen from them. They have also come to believe that the 3 main parties have been complicit in this. Until this is addressed UKIP will keep gaining ground, regardless of what happens in Europe.

Perhaps. Despite the media obsession with UKIP and race, UKIP tend to avoid it mentioning it, preferring to talk in broader terms about economic impacts of mass migration.

However, thats all they need do. When the political establishment and media assume whenever someone non-white dies or is assualted and it might be a white, its reported as a so called 'hate crime', neo-nazism is mentioned and only rejected once more info is available. Meanwhile when some bearded fool shouting allah akhbar before beheading someone is caught on camera phone, they're lining up to say 'this has nothing to do with Islam' The double standard could not be clearer. Nazism is an ideology. Islamism is an ideology. Why treat one so differently to the other.

When they are so blatantly afraid of tackling Islam, or even calling it by its name, people are obviously going to wonder about whether Islamic votes matter more to labour than the right of people to live.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I think it's more a case of everyone around the cabinet table having a very similar background, part of which would be insulation from people outside of their narrow circle.

Does the background matter for a politician any more than it does for any other job? Easy to be emotional and say it does, otherwise no understanding of the issues etc. (and it's not as if the system we've got works for selecting good people for the job) but is that true? How many people complaining about the background of politicians meaning they don't understand their issues have much of a clue of the bigger picture that results in those issues forming?

HOLA4424

Perhaps. Despite the media obsession with UKIP and race, UKIP tend to avoid it mentioning it, preferring to talk in broader terms about economic impacts of mass migration.

However, thats all they need do. When the political establishment and media assume whenever someone non-white dies or is assualted and it might be a white, its reported as a so called 'hate crime', neo-nazism is mentioned and only rejected once more info is available. Meanwhile when some bearded fool shouting allah akhbar before beheading someone is caught on camera phone, they're lining up to say 'this has nothing to do with Islam' The double standard could not be clearer. Nazism is an ideology. Islamism is an ideology. Why treat one so differently to the other.

When they are so blatantly afraid of tackling Islam, or even calling it by its name, people are obviously going to wonder about whether Islamic votes matter more to labour than the right of people to live.

UKIP can't mention the R word or the I word, it would be political suicide. They have to talk generalities and avoid speaking of anything R or I related at all costs. They're relying on the intelligence of the population to see what they're voting for, and it ain't to stop people of any race entering the country to take highly skilled engineering jobs.

That's why the attempted smear of Farage based on his wife's nationality ended up Backfiring, or at the very least ended up being completely ineffectual. He's not gathering an anti-German, or even an anti-European vote.

HOLA4425

That's why the attempted smear of Farage based on his wife's nationality ended up Backfiring, or at the very least ended up being completely ineffectual. He's not gathering an anti-German, or even an anti-European vote.

As with any party, I'm not sure that the vast majority know (or really care) what they stand for in terms of their manifesto and election promises etc.

IMHO people either vote religiously for a party as if they are supporting a football team, or they vote for the person.

Where Farage is winning ground is in the latter category.. people relate to him because he doesn't sound like a statesman/talking-head, he has presence, he speaks passionately and he comes across as a person people can relate to.

I compare UKIP to ALDI/ LIDL.. for years people felt they were being shafted by the big 4 supermarkets but didn't really have a viable alternative or didn't want to take the leap. Now the big 4 are actually scared.

The speech above with Miliband worrying about the threat to the status quo of a new nose at the trough is the first time I've seen him look genuinely passionate. Speaks volumes.

Archived