House Price Crash Forum

When Do Men Stop Growing?

HOLA441

Rather weird, I gave up any hope of ever reaching 6 foot 4 like my half brothers about 15 years ago (in my 20s).

Anyway, just had my height accurately measured (and the re-measured), and I am 6 foot 1. Given that I had my height and weight measured repeatedly in my early and mid 20's , and ways always 6 foot 1/8" - 6 foot 1/4" - I am not sure where the extra 3/4 of an inch has come from.

The only theories I have is that:

1) I stopped squatting 240Kg weights when I stopped doing sports like rowing and rugby.

2) some weird growth profile based on good longevity/life expectancy/later maturing in my family

3) I've been doing more stretching type exercises than power based ones.

HOLA442

Rather weird, I gave up any hope of ever reaching 6 foot 4 like my half brothers about 15 years ago (in my 20s).

Anyway, just had my height accurately measured (and the re-measured), and I am 6 foot 1. Given that I had my height and weight measured repeatedly in my early and mid 20's , and ways always 6 foot 1/8" - 6 foot 1/4" - I am not sure where the extra 3/4 of an inch has come from.

1) I stopped squatting 240Kg weights when I stopped doing sports like rowing and rugby.

2) some weird growth profile based on good longevity/life expectancy/later maturing in my family

A few possibilities:

- Perhaps up till now you were always measured in the afternoon and this time it was in the morning?

- you were wearing shoes this time?

- you have a growth on the top of your head.

- you are living on the International Space Station.

HOLA443

Measurement error? Possibly measured at different times of the day? You should start squatting 240Kg again though just in case your half brothers start picking on you.

HOLA444
HOLA445

o

Back squats? Free weights? To parallel? I have nothing to add but I'm just a bit concerned that someone on HPC might be harder than me!! :lol::lol:

I dunno why you're worried, I was always one of the tallest kids in school until I stopped dead at 5'11 aged 14. Both my younger brothers sailed past 6'. My dad is 6'2. Guess I copped an overdose of my shortarse mum's genes, she's 5'3. I like being roughly standard sized, it makes long haul flights and any car I buy on a whim comfortable. Plus I can buy shoes easily unlike clownfoot youngest brother! :lol:

HOLA446

I think most people have a growth spurt around the time of puberty and reach their maximum height in their late teens.

It's relatively unusual to grow any taller after then.

I reached my full-size height of 5 foot 1" in my teens.

There are plenty of possibilities which fall into the category of "relatively unusual" but which still happen because they are not impossible.

For example - losing (or getting) asthma, losing some allergies and gaining others.

HOLA447

I think most people have a growth spurt around the time of puberty and reach their maximum height in their late teens.

There are plenty of possibilities which fall into the category of "relatively unusual" but which still happen because they are not impossible.

For example - losing (or getting) asthma, losing some allergies and gaining others.

I always imagined you to be a rather tall bloke! It's amazing what you can't see on the Internet!

Actually I'm taller than I was when I was 19, and an old pair of boots I bought 20 years ago don't fit any more! :o

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

You need to check for acromegaly.

I remember someone saying to me that he's in his late 30's and he needed a bigger pair of shoes, that counldn't be right.

Basically he had a growth on his pituitary that caused growth hormone to be produced and make his bones continue growing.

I think feet do get bigger, or shoe sizes are getting smaller. I was a size 10 in my twenties /thirties, now I am size 11.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Are you seriously 5 foot 1?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

Lucky you!

I'm resigned to looking forward to shrinking/shrivelling as I get older. So told to me casually, in passing, by my GP at a recent appointment.

His comments held extra credibility as, by chance, I had just not long before seen an uncle (now in his 80's) who I had not seen in 15+ years. When I last saw him, already as a fully grown adult, he was taller than me. When I saw him next I dwarfed him! He had clearly and unambiguously shrunk! Not stooping or such, but actually shrunk/lost height. It was an almost jaw dropping moment.

HOLA4416

Lucky you!

I'm resigned to looking forward to shrinking/shrivelling as I get older. So told to me casually, in passing, by my GP at a recent appointment.

His comments held extra credibility as, by chance, I had just not long before seen an uncle (now in his 80's) who I had not seen in 15+ years. When I last saw him, already as a fully grown adult, he was taller than me. When I saw him next I dwarfed him! He had clearly and unambiguously shrunk! Not stooping or such, but actually shrunk/lost height. It was an almost jaw dropping moment.

Aye, me dad's smaller now! Still happy though! ;)

HOLA4417

Yes. My growth spurt never came. I'm the same height as my parents.

Is it funny? Seriously, do you find there is prejudice against the "not so tall"? My mate "Big Dick"(who is obviously a RIchard) towers over you at the immense height of five foot three! Now I never noticed he was "short" until he told me! Nor did the women. :blink:

HOLA4418

Is it funny? Seriously, do you find there is prejudice against the "not so tall"? My mate "Big Dick"(who is obviously a RIchard) towers over you at the immense height of five foot three! Now I never noticed he was "short" until he told me! Nor did the women. :blink:

I'd say that it had an effect on my school days. Kids tend to pick on anything 'different'. Though in my later years I joined the 'cool gang' - guess every school has one..

One aspect of my personality is perhaps that I tend to take people for who they are and consider everyone potentially equal regardless of things like ethnicity, class, religion, race - simply, good people are good people.

And I suspect this might come from some early memories of not being able to go on certain rides at theme parks because I wasn't tall enough. The idea of being excluded 'because of who or what you are'. Obviously, this had a safety aspect, it wasn't malicious. Although it sounds rather trite now, I suspect this was a formative experience.

Did you wish such a detailed answer ;)

Edit: spelling

HOLA4419

I'd say that it had an effect on my school days. Kids tend to pick on anything 'different'. Though in my later years I joined the 'cool gang' - guess every school has one..

One aspect of my personality is perhaps that I tend to take people for who they are and consider everyone potentially equal regardless of things like ethnicity, class, religion, race - simply, good people are good people.

And I suspect this might come from some early memories of not being able to go on certain rides at theme parks because I wasn't tall enough. The idea of being excluded 'because of who or what you are'. Obviously, this had a safety aspect, it wasn't malicious. Although it sounds rather trite now, I suspect this was a formative experience.

Did you wish such a detailed answer ;)

Edit: spelling

Good on you for that. That is an excellent attitude. :)

Kids can be very cruel to each other, and yes, that was a good answer!

HOLA4420

4) Half brothers wanted to see which of their cars was more powerful and tied your hands and feet with rope between their Nova GTE and Nova SRi in some sort of strange Tug of War competition. (It may seem strange but the half brothers were reliving their teenage years) all of this whilst you were drugged of course..

Archived