House Price Crash Forum

Ukip Landlord Trougher

Scunnered

HOLA441
UKIP housing spokesman trousering a fortune renting to migrants on benefits despite party's policies

UKIP’S housing spokesman is making a fortune off migrant tenants on benefits – despite Nigel Farage calling for a ban on foreigners claiming welfare.

Multi-millionaire landlord Andrew Charalambous has pocketed £745,351 in housing benefit from occupants, who he admits include immigrants.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/ukip-housing-spokesman-trousering-fortune-3175130

HOLA442

Here's another one (from June 2013).

UKIP’s latest town hall recruit is a slum landlord convicted for putting his tenants’ lives at risk. The residents of bedsits owned by Cllr Brian Silvester were forced into temporary accommodation last year after an inspection discovered they were at “imminent risk of serious personal injury”.

In a double prosecution by the fire service and his own council, Silvester (pictured centre above with new UKIP colleagues) pleaded guilty to 11 fire safety breaches, including holes in the ceiling and roof, inflammable material in corridors, loose wiring, broken smoke detectors and fire extinguishers which hadn’t been inspected for 20 years.

http://politicalscrapbook.net/2013/06/latest-ukip-recruit-brian-silvester-is-convicted-slum-landlord/

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

This seems like a Tory tabloid attack to me.

I'm trying to think of what I would do differently to him. So some one turns up to rent a place and they are a non pink person. Do you say you are a non pink person go away.

Or say they are pink but can't speak the queens English. Do you say you can't speak the queens English and I don't think your from Birmingham go away.

Rubbish in corridors. Did he put it there or did his tenants?

Before you condemn the man make sure you are not being manipulated.

Edited by gf3

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Silvester's admittance to UKIP is the reason I will not consider voting for them.

Could you explain why?

And did you get all of your information from the Tory press?

Had any body heard of this Guy before he left the Tory party?

Did the Press make him out to be a bad egg when he was a Tory?

Edited by gf3

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Could you explain why?

And did you get all of your information from the Tory press?

Had any body heard of this Guy before he left the Tory party?

Did the Press make him out to be a bad egg when he was a Tory?

He is a councillor not so far away from me so an element of local politics for me.

After his conviction he left/was expelled from the Cons, where he sat as an independent for 7 months before being welcomed to UKIP by Loiuse Bours, the local party leader iirc. His admittance to UKIP came in the wake of the considerable (and often unjustified) reaction to UKIP's vetting procedures for the local elections.

I have a local UKIP MEP(who also represents Silvester's area) to raise concerns; the MEP is Paul Nuttall, a senior UKIP figure. No response from him or from Farage when I contacted him.

The seriousness of the conviction is what concerns me most, in light of his position of responsibility as an elected representative.

I'm not sure the site that carried the story could be described as 'Tory press' btw.

HOLA4414

Shame the only protest party doing at all well is UKIP.

Led by a pin-striped public school ex-banker and full of rentiers - things will be so different around here if they get in.

True I am only going to vote for them to get us out of Europe then I will vote Green because I believe in LVT, banking reform and CI

No point voting Green at the moment UKIP gives me my biggest bang for my bucks.

HOLA4415

He is a councillor not so far away from me so an element of local politics for me.

After his conviction he left/was expelled from the Cons, where he sat as an independent for 7 months before being welcomed to UKIP by Loiuse Bours, the local party leader iirc. His admittance to UKIP came in the wake of the considerable (and often unjustified) reaction to UKIP's vetting procedures for the local elections.

I have a local UKIP MEP(who also represents Silvester's area) to raise concerns; the MEP is Paul Nuttall, a senior UKIP figure. No response from him or from Farage when I contacted him.

The seriousness of the conviction is what concerns me most, in light of his position of responsibility as an elected representative.

I'm not sure the site that carried the story could be described as 'Tory press' btw.

Fair enough looks like you thought things through, I don't know this guy from Adam. But I did feel that there may be an assassination attempt by the press and it's not a bad thing for people to question what is in the press and not take it at face value.

Personally I would vote for Satan himself if it got us out of Europe.

Edited by gf3

HOLA4416

Fair enough looks like you thought things through, I don't know this guy from Adam. But I did feel that there my be an assassination attempt by the press and it's not a bad thing for people to question what is in the press and not take it at face value.

Personally I would vote for Satan himself if it got us out of Europe.

I'm not unsympathetic to what UKIP are doing to the political landscape in the UK, quite the opposite in fact. But at the same time this particular person shouldn't be in UK politics in my view, and it is a matter of some annoyance that UKIP have given him a route back where the overwhelming likelihood was that, as an independent with a conviction, he would have faced a very tough battle to remain part of the political landscape at the next election.

No reason to suppose that UKIP should be less expedient than other parties when the grubby electoral maths is being done, but I honestly think they have made a bad error with Silvester.

HOLA4417

I'm not unsympathetic to what UKIP are doing to the political landscape in the UK, quite the opposite in fact. But at the same time this particular person shouldn't be in UK politics in my view, and it is a matter of some annoyance that UKIP have given him a route back where the overwhelming likelihood was that, as an independent with a conviction, he would have faced a very tough battle to remain part of the political landscape at the next election.

No reason to suppose that UKIP should be less expedient than other parties when the grubby electoral maths is being done, but I honestly think they have made a bad error with Silvester.

I think you are right they did. Although no worse than Harriet Harman and Pedophile Information exchange.

HOLA4418

If anyone here is looking for the perfect political party to vote for, you'll either never vote or you'll fall for a bunch of lies. If you're not happy with what we've got vote for something different.

New parties will take time to build and once they start to get decent support they will attract better candidates.

If you are put off voting for the party you want to vote for because of opposition smear campains then you have been fooled.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

If anyone here is looking for the perfect political party to vote for, you'll either never vote or you'll fall for a bunch of lies. If you're not happy with what we've got vote for something different.

New parties will take time to build and once they start to get decent support they will attract better candidates.

If you are put off voting for the party you want to vote for because of opposition smear campains then you have been fooled.

Remember Silvester was never a UKIP candidate, just a criminal councillor in the political wilderness that UKIP accepted as a member. I doubt he would have been vetted if he was a fresh applicant.

HOLA4421