House Price Crash Forum

Environment Agency Spent £30k On Gay Pride

1929crash

HOLA441
The government agency responsible for dealing with floods was last night under pressure to explain why it had spent thousands of pounds on what appeared to be ‘pet projects’ of its chairman Lord Smith.

A Mail on Sunday investigation has established that the Environment Agency, headed by Lord Chris Smith – Britain’s first openly gay Cabinet Minister – spent £639 on mugs promoting gay rights.

The mugs, emblazoned with the slogan ‘Some people are gay. Get over it!’, are thought to have been handed out to staff at the organisation’s headquarters in London and Bristol. The cost of the mugs is enough to buy more than 250 sandbags to protect flood victims’ homes.

It has also emerged that the agency spent £30,000 sponsoring Birmingham’s Gay Pride festival in 2009 and that staff were provided with ‘proud to be at Pride’ T-shirts and banners with the organisation’s logo on at Manchester Gay Pride marches in 2009 and 2007.

The agency even took out a costly half-page advert in the Independent newspaper’s Diversity section to boast about its sponsorship of the Birmingham Gay Pride event in 2009. Lord Smith became EA chairman in 2008.

The revelations come as the agency faces growing criticism of its handling of the flooding crisis. An analysis of the Environment Agency’s spending has uncovered that it spent more than £250,000 from 2011 to mid-2012 on meetings at private venues, despite having more than two dozen offices around the country.

The agency paid £5,439 to Aston Villa Football Club in 2012 for the use of meeting rooms, even though its Villa Park ground is only ten miles away from the organisation’s regional Midlands office.

The Environment Agency would not reveal details of what rooms it hired but Villa Park offers a host of luxurious meeting places including the Holte Suite, which costs £4,500 for a full day, and boasts an ‘elegant ground-floor suite’ which can cater for conference events and ‘sumptuous black-tie dinners’.

article-2560300-1B872F0E00000578-616_634x479.jpg

article-2560300-1B872EF900000578-683_306x286.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2560300/Why-did-floods-agency-spend-hundreds-equali-tea-gay-awareness-mugs-30-000-gay-pride-marches-As-Britain-counts-cost-shoddy-defences-reveal-bizarre-spending-quango-bosses.html#ixzz2tV5WmoBD

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

spent £639 on mugs promoting gay rights.

I have no problems with "Gay rights". If I did, I would lose a few friends! Are we to use these "gay mugs" to scoop out Shepperton,and all those other flooded places?

I believe the EA are acting well above their remit on this! :blink:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

spent £639 on mugs promoting gay rights.

I have no problems with "Gay rights". If I did, I would lose a few friends! Are we to use these "gay mugs" to scoop out Shepperton,and all those other flooded places?

I believe the EA are acting well above their remit on this! :blink:

Tired hearing about gay rights to be honest, wonder how a mug saying "Some men like to sleep with multiple women - Get over it" would go over?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

People would be surprised just how much public cash is funnelled to these causes. Most of Stonewall's cash comes from the government.

Colleague of mine sang in a gay choir, he said they got quite a lot of 'diversity' money as a result. The thing was though he made over £100k/year so aside from his sexual practices, he was just another rich white male....

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Tired hearing about gay rights to be honest, wonder how a mug saying "Some men like to sleep with multiple women - Get over it" would go over?

Yeah, I'm tired of hearing about gay rights.

How's about we stick to plain old "rights" - unqualified - and how to protect them from state abuse?

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

This is only possible because so many other men are gay.

That's why I'm all in favour of the promotion of male gay-ness; it results in a significant reduction in the competition. Of course, like Queen Victoria, I don't actually believe in lesbianism - that's just girls fooling around.

HOLA4423

Is it legal to go associating a Government Department/Agency with what is essentially a political movement i.e. Gay Pride?

Somehow, it seems wrong to me.

Anyway, what on earth has it got to do with the environment?

Diversity IS POLICY.

Organisations are BOUND to BE SEEN to be DIVERSE...It IS POLICY.

GET THIS IN YOUR HEADS>>>behind this outright spend are the DIVERSITY DEPARTMENTS and its staff all funded to make sure the POLICY is SEEN to be ACTIONED.

I expect all the big newrags have their very own DIVERSITY departments too....so they can also BE SEEN to be DIVERSE.

Archived