House Price Crash Forum

Is It Ok To Feel Schadenfreude?

pjw

HOLA441

I lost everything, including my home, back in 2009 so I know how these people feel. I avoided bankruptcy, thankfully so I live to fight another day.

That hardest thing is re-adjusting your plans for the future. So many people's happiness these days is based on their expected prosperity over the coming years and when that is taken away it's a bit of a shock.

In the long run, it can be a good thing. You end up reassessing what's important and what's not, and you start to appreciate the little things more.

So, no schadenfreude in my case, but it's at times like these I appreciate the benefits of being a renter. My roof has sprung a leak and in some of the heavier downpours I'm getting water pouring down the inside wall of the kitchen. If I owned the flat, I'd being frantic with stress as there's no way I could afford the repairs. Instead, as a renter, I just informed the landlord ( who thankfully is the decent sort ), and put up with it until the next dry spell when it will be fixed.

In the meantime my only sacrifice is having to dry the dishes rather than leave them on the draining board where they'd get splashed with brown roof-water, and leave the window open and kitchen door closed at night so as to prevent too much damp. Makes it a little chilly in the kitchen when I'm making my morning porridge, but I'll survive :)

:)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445