House Price Crash Forum
pjw

Is It Ok To Feel Schadenfreude?

Is it OK to chuckle at the plight of people in expensive homes in Somerset? I bet few of these people made as much money from hard work as they did from playing the land appreciation game. What's wrong with them organising themselves to do the dredging? Why should they always be calling on the state to "do something"? These people generally lead rather comfortable lives - welcome to real life, folks!

Is it OK to chuckle at the plight of people in expensive homes in Somerset? I bet few of these people made as much money from hard work as they did from playing the land appreciation game. What's wrong with them organising themselves to do the dredging? Why should they always be calling on the state to "do something"? These people generally lead rather comfortable lives - welcome to real life, folks!

Residents organising themselves would be my thought, after all the farmers had to. Political death for any politician suggesting it though.

I think the Schadenfreude will wear off when we see quite literally billions in 'bail outs' to Thameside living multi millionaires and property owners.

Edited by aSecureTenant

I think the Schadenfreude will wear off when we see quite literally billions in 'bail outs' to Thameside living multi millionaires and property owners.

I trust (barely) and hope this won't be the case

I trust (barely) and hope this won't be the case

There's an election in just over a year and a woman, interviewed on BBC News, standing in a giant puddle, just said "I'll vote for whoever fixes this problem".

As an aside, I would no more buy a house on a flood-plane than I would have put my money in an Icelandic bank.

I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed to dredge on their own by law.

Its not those peoples fault that their houses have shot up in value and i don't feel any joy in seeing their lives ruined. I want a cheaper house. i don't think that anyone that owns a house is my enemy and should be punished.

There's an election in just over a year and a woman, interviewed on BBC News, standing in a giant puddle, just said "I'll vote for whoever fixes this problem".

As an aside, I would no more buy a house on a flood-plane than I would have put my money in an Icelandic bank.

Are marginal constituencies in flood prone areas?

I'm pretty sure they weren't allowed to dredge on their own by law.

Its not those peoples fault that their houses have shot up in value and i don't feel any joy in seeing their lives ruined. I want a cheaper house. i don't think that anyone that owns a house is my enemy and should be punished.

Their lives haven't been ruined

fill your boots, 2 weeks ago if you told them you thought owning a house was a weight round your neck rather than something to aspire to, they wouldi have told you you were wrong, thought you were stupid and called you a c**t.

time is a a great leveller.

we, the renters , do not fear a few feet of water. :lol:

we should laugh, really.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

Shame there is not enough of them to really matter in the big election stakes then is it!!.

Trouble is if they sort the levels out they move the problem to the towns nearer the coast, if they sort the Thames Valley and the SW approaches to London Thames side it will send the water to central London all the quicker.

I would put my money on some sort of notional assistance to householders suffering damage such as a one off £300 payment or something and a half hearted promise to improve flood defences which will be booted firmly into the future.

After all the next time is floods like this it will be someone else's problem!!

Shame there is not enough of them to really matter in the big election stakes then is it!!.

Trouble is if they sort the levels out they move the problem to the towns nearer the coast, if they sort the Thames Valley and the SW approaches to London Thames side it will send the water to central London all the quicker.

I would put my money on some sort of notional assistance to householders suffering damage such as a one off £300 payment or something and a half hearted promise to improve flood defences which will be booted firmly into the future.

After all the next time is floods like this it will be someone else's problem!!

I suspect Cameron is saying one thing (dredging etc) whilst quietly agreeing with the EA about cost effective future management

When it involves people's homes, it's always the state's problem.

It's always the same - take a risk, it pays off and you make money - it's all for you. Get unlucky, and the state bails you out. Where is the justice? Where is the moral hazard.

Maybe it's a mis-selling scandal. It's never the poor hard-working homeowner's fault.

while feeling sympathy for the horrible result of flooding any house from a humble terrace to a millionaires mansion I found myself feeling somewhat cross when the news reported that there would be help for uninsured households -

now to me anyone who tries to save a small amount of money or is foolish enough not to insure against flooding if you are within spitting distance of a body of water should not be 'bailed out'. That is what insurance is for and surely any mortgaged home has to have insurance. :(

Edited by olliegog

A lot of Somerset is dirt poor, you realise. Ever been to Bridgwater?

As for it being flood prone, thats why they pay drainage charges which others do not.

Edited by EUBanana

It is going to take 20 years to build HS2 because of the anticipated planning rows - how long do you think it will take to build methods to stop these floods. It will be a political football based on constituency boundaries.

Is it wrong to feel a smile at some going through this? Probably, but I suspect many outside of the SE are having a wry smile.

It is going to take 20 years to build HS2 because of the anticipated planning rows - how long do you think it will take to build methods to stop these floods. It will be a political football based on constituency boundaries.

Is it wrong to feel a smile at some going through this? Probably, but I suspect many outside of the SE are having a wry smile.

You can't stop flooding, it's inevitable from time to time

Of course it isn't ok. What sort of person would sit and laugh at the tv feed of climate change denying, public services are a waste of money, Nigel Farage fan club knts looking around in bewilderment for someone to come and put their lives back together for them. Welcome to what you wanted. :lol:

Edited by campervanman

I really really hope that is just politiking

But it's clever politiking, there's not actually that many houses that have been flooded so we're not talking about a great deal of money to get them each a new sofa from Kingdom Of Leather or whatever the big COBRA plan is.

So for a measly few million quid Cameron gets to sound like Winston Churchill.

But it's clever politiking, there's not actually that many houses that have been flooded so we're not talking about a great deal of money to get them each a new sofa from Kingdom Of Leather or whatever the big COBRA plan is.

So for a measly few million quid Cameron gets to sound like Winston Churchill.

I believe there are currently about 1000 properties flooded

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/10631542/Environment-Agency-No-end-in-sight-to-flooding-misery.html

In the 2007 floods Hull alone had to evacuate 10,000 properties of which 7800 were flooded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_United_Kingdom_floods

Over 22,000 properties flooded in Yorkshire alone in 2007.

The current floods are bad but not yet on that scale

Edited by stormymonday_2011

But the floods are where there are Tory votes so something must be done. And didn't Dave look great in his blue hat and orange jacket, but he didn't say 'hard-working families' once.

Not just votes but so party donations.

Yes - it is OK*

Smug nimby homeowners take the capital appreciation and slap themselves on the back for the great investments, whilst looking down at scum renters in the good times, so they have to deal with some capital depreciation and a few "Ha-Ha!'s" from renters in the bad.

It's pay back for those 6 monthly inspections, agency fees and pisspoor quality fittings we have to endure.

I bet the homeowners in the Somerset Levels or Home Counties didn't don their hunters and barbour jackets to launch a relief effort for Hull in 2007, nor do I remember anyone offering a blank cheque to sort out previous floods, maybe the Thames has particuarly 'ghastly and beastly' water in it. (or maybe their rich mates and media luvvies have Mansions or Holiday homes there - who knows...).

* In moderation and as long as people aren't hurt / genuinely endangered / suffering IMPO.