House Price Crash Forum

Ordinary Families

HOLA441

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2442237/Internet-revolution-make-TV-obsolete-Millions-forced-buy-new-equipment-decision-Freeview-different-broadcasting-spectrum.html

The switchover is scheduled for 2018, and the cost of fitting new aerials and buying new sets is likely to fall on ordinary families.

Have hard working families already bought new TV's and upgraded their aerials?

HOLA442

What about all the analogue radios that work perfectly well, all the car radios that they want people to replace....another money making initiative? ;)

This year's report comes ahead of a keenly anticipated government announcement, due in November, confirming its policy on digital radio and switchover.

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/25/radio-listeners-resist-digital

HOLA443

What about all the analogue radios that work perfectly well, all the car radios that they want people to replace....another money making initiative? ;)

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2013/sep/25/radio-listeners-resist-digital

Streaming online is perfect for access to digital channels but without buying the equipment. Digital radio has sort of missed the boat in that I guess people's buying habits have changed away from stuff like stand alone radios which must depress sales now.

HOLA444

Have hard working families already bought new TV's and upgraded their aerials?

I haven't actually listened to the radio for at least ten years. I get all my music off streaming services now. It sometimes surprises me (and disappoints me a bit too, if I'm honest) when I hear a tune being played somewhere that I actually recognise, due to having quite independently stumbled across something that I wasn't aware was mainstream!

HOLA445

Streaming online is perfect for access to digital channels but without buying the equipment. Digital radio has sort of missed the boat in that I guess people's buying habits have changed away from stuff like stand alone radios which must depress sales now.

...I suppose they call it progress but if it works why fix it, it is nice to have a choice....I am thinking particularly of the older generation who tend to stay with what they know works, until they find it is taken away and if they want it would be forced to change....that apart from all the extra expense continually having to buy new equipment....like this for example. ;)

HOLA446
HOLA447

...I suppose they call it progress but if it works why fix it, it is nice to have a choice....I am thinking particularly of the older generation who tend to stay with what they know works, until they find it is taken away and if they want it would be forced to change....that apart from all the extra expense continually having to buy new equipment....like this for example. ;)

I've got my analogue dinosaur in my front room. I'd buy a digi radio but I don't listen to a great deal and streaming seems much more convenient. The sound quality on digital is poor compared to my analogue tuner but perfectly acceptable for streaming stuff into the kitchen or bedroom.

HOLA448

I've got my analogue dinosaur in my front room. I'd buy a digi radio but I don't listen to a great deal and streaming seems much more convenient. The sound quality on digital is poor compared to my analogue tuner but perfectly acceptable for streaming stuff into the kitchen or bedroom.

....we will just have to adapt the best and most economical way we can...re-evaluate the benefits of buying something that they will most properly change before the final payment has been made....skip a few upgrades until are sure things are more reliable and have stabilised for a period of time.......then they will change it. ;)

HOLA449
HOLA4410

What about in car?

Sorry, not clear what you mean- do you mean 'are car sales counted?'

They mention car sales in the summary, link to report at bottom:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/radio-research/digital-radio-reports/digital-radio-2013/

Almost four in ten (38.3%) of new cars are now fitted with DAB as standard, 12.4 percentage points more than were fitted with DAB as standard in Q2 2012.

See page 9 for more:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/radio-research/drr-13/2013_DRR.pdf

HOLA4411

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/market-data-research/other/radio-research/digital-radio-reports/digital-radio-2013/

See page 9 for more:

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/research/radio-research/drr-13/2013_DRR.pdf

I guess he means people listen to the radio in the car.

But 800,000 new vehicles a year at the moment vs. 20 million vehicles on the road. That will still be a lot of analogue radio cars by 2018.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

DAB was a technology that missed its time slot! Internet radio is here! At home I can hear Brazilian Jazz, Albanian folk music, and Czech comedians (completely useless to me, but there you go!).

Broadcast has had its day! :huh:

HOLA4414

DAB was a technology that missed its time slot! Internet radio is here! At home I can hear Brazilian Jazz, Albanian folk music, and Czech comedians (completely useless to me, but there you go!).

Broadcast has had its day! :huh:

I am building a RepRap 3D printer, to make vinyl disks off streamed audio!

HOLA4415

I haven't actually listened to the radio for at least ten years. I get all my music off streaming services now. It sometimes surprises me (and disappoints me a bit too, if I'm honest) when I hear a tune being played somewhere that I actually recognise, due to having quite independently stumbled across something that I wasn't aware was mainstream!

Seriously? Wow. I use listen again for R7 / R4 extra comedies but that's it. I listne to the radio for over three hours a day, mostly analogue in the car.

Almost four in ten (38.3%) of new cars are now fitted with DAB as standard, 12.4 percentage points more than were fitted with DAB as standard in Q2 2012.

I really doubt that, I usually read new car reviews in the papers and I can't remember any in which that's other than an option. It's possible they mean model options but it's definitely not 40% of new cars actually sold.

HOLA4416

When they make a digital radio that works indoors I might consider buying one again.

I have one in a drawer at work that was given to me that doesn't work in the office.

I have one at home that only works when placed on the kitchen windowsill, move it anywhere else in the house and it sounds like its in a bucket of water.

I'd love one in the front room so I could listen to test match special whilst being able to view the tv coverage but I have yet to find one that works, It seems I'm not alone, a quick straw poll reveals that most of the people at work have one but don't use them because of reception issues.

HOLA4417

Seriously? Wow. I use listen again for R7 / R4 extra comedies but that's it. I listne to the radio for over three hours a day, mostly analogue in the car.

I really doubt that, I usually read new car reviews in the papers and I can't remember any in which that's other than an option. It's possible they mean model options but it's definitely not 40% of new cars actually sold.

There's a chart in the PDF which purports to describe the proportions of car models are sold with DAB radios as standard/(cost)option. I guess the devil is in the details, but interesting you regard the resulting assumed fraction of 40% new cars sold being DAB-capable to be too high.

HOLA4418

Last few mid trim hire cars I've had were DAB equipped. eg Golf, Insignia.

HOLA4419

Digital radios are great - especially if you listen to stations on MW which are available on DAB. I've got one in my kitchen that goes on when I am cooking / cleaning up. As it's got batteries in it I can take it outside when it is nice and we are having a bbq or even listen to it in other areas of the house (had it in the spare room recently when I was painting).

HOLA4420

When they make a digital radio that works indoors I might consider buying one again.

I have one in a drawer at work that was given to me that doesn't work in the office.

I have one at home that only works when placed on the kitchen windowsill, move it anywhere else in the house and it sounds like its in a bucket of water.

I'd love one in the front room so I could listen to test match special whilst being able to view the tv coverage but I have yet to find one that works, It seems I'm not alone, a quick straw poll reveals that most of the people at work have one but don't use them because of reception issues.

Yes, one of the only good things about DAB is being able to listen to TMS without breaking for the ruddy Shipping forecast!

HOLA4421

Yes, one of the only good things about DAB is being able to listen to TMS without breaking for the ruddy Shipping forecast!

It's useful for beardy nautical folk, who might be on a ship, and the Long Wave transmission will get there! Goes quite a way, unlike DAB, which gets to the kitchen window, but won't work in the house! :blink:

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

There's a chart in the PDF which purports to describe the proportions of car models are sold with DAB radios as standard/(cost)option. I guess the devil is in the details, but interesting you regard the resulting assumed fraction of 40% new cars sold being DAB-capable to be too high.

Last few mid trim hire cars I've had were DAB equipped. eg Golf, Insignia.

Maybe I'm behind the times but I still think saying 40% represents sneaky use of language. Or maybe it's becasue I'm looking at a Dacia Sandero in base trim which is wired for a normal radio even though it doesn't actually have one.

Same here. I have three.

I have four.

Well, actually just two. No reception problems at all but it shows the coverage is still slightly patchy.

HOLA4425

Same here. I have three.

.....same, but DAB doesn't like movement it prefers stability....and there are lots of people who drive listen to the radio, that radio is not a DAB, there will be lots of displeased people if they decide to turn conventional radio off. :angry:

Archived