House Price Crash Forum

Ten Stone Baby (Teased With Chocolate)

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

I suppose they were proud in those days to have a chubby baby?

There isn't any background on the Pathe story. He's 3 years old, and hugely obese. I'm guessing some health problem has caused the weight gain. If not then his parents would have to be feeding him food all day. I doubt they'd do that. Was fast food even around at that time?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Impressive you found that Sunday Times article dated 10th Feb 1935! I'm guessing the DM article is a more recent one?

Definition of DYSPITUITARISM

: any abnormal condition caused by dysfunction of the pituitary gland

The article says he's healthy, yet also says he has this condition. I don't know much about it, but the kid doesn't look healthy to me.

HOLA448

Impressive you found that Sunday Times article dated 10th Feb 1935! I'm guessing the DM article is a more recent one?

The article says he's healthy, yet also says he has this condition. I don't know much about it, but the kid doesn't look healthy to me.

Healthy being a relative term.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

For those of you filled with guilt riddled concern about what became of the child:-

"Leslie Bowles (the child in question) lived a full life as a foreman in the Welton-le-Wold Old Gravel Pits. He died in an unfortunate crane accident shortly after his 42nd birthday."

Ah, God bless Leslie Bowles. I wonder if he ever grew out of it.

HOLA4412

For those of you filled with guilt riddled concern about what became of the child:-

"Leslie Bowles (the child in question) lived a full life as a foreman in the Welton-le-Wold Old Gravel Pits. He died in an unfortunate crane accident shortly after his 42nd birthday."

Is the word 'unfortunate' completely necessary in that sentence?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

not quite, for instance Todd Browning's 1932 movie 'Freaks' (a cult classic now) ended up being banned in the UK for 30 years and effectively ended the director's career.

Not sure if it was the mutations or the sexual innuendos that got it banned.

OTS: I've met Jim Rose before, probably near 20 years ago during the Toronto film festival, he was in a bar with some 'interesting' ladies.

He had a lot of stuff to say about the business.

There's still good money in freaks and plenty of people like it.

Just now everybody is a closeted admirer, though if folk were forced to put their internet histories out it there for all to see...

EDIT: and oh yeah, also consider UK's penchant for midget/dwarf tossing before pulling the morality card.

HOLA4417

not quite, for instance Todd Browning's 1932 movie 'Freaks' (a cult classic now) ended up being banned in the UK for 30 years and effectively ended the director's career.

That was actually broadcast on British television once, and I watched it! :huh:

HOLA4418

gooble goggle one of us, gooble goggle one of us..catchy lyrics or what?

Hang on, Erranta moment, gooble + goggle = google!

HOLA4419
Guest TheBlueCat

Little did they know 65 years later he would be the deputy PM...

You're thinking of the last lot surely?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I saw an interesting documentary a few years back.

A man, who himself had no arms, due to thalidomide, was researching a US performer who called himself 'Sealo', as he had no arms, just 'flippers' (his hands).

People would pay good money to see him do a variety of things, like roll cigarettes and light them, etc. As a consequence, Sealo made a good living, marrying and raising a family.

Then the early days of politicall correctness came along in the late 50's/ early 60's. Such shows were no longer considered acceptable. Sealo was out of work and, I believe, died destitute.

Nowadays, we aren't allowed to watch freak shows, so we just watch documentaries about freaks and freak shows instead. Nothing voyeuristic in that... icon2.gif

Archived