House Price Crash Forum

Potash Mine Under National Park Will Make Yorkshire Farmers Millionaires

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

Years ago UKcoal wanted to opencast some green fields near me.I joined everyone else in trying to get it stopped.However it went ahead and they did a fantastic job.Once theyd finished they planted 400k trees,all native,oak,ash,birch etc.They dug several ponds and wetlands all connected with wet ditches.They planted species rich hedgerows.They connected a whole valley with woodlands,wetlands,hedgerows and paths.

So from what were really empty arable fields with a few trees are now superb wildlife habitat that is full of wildlife from barn owls to toads.There are also now lots of paths for the public.

It changed my view of these sorts of things.A lot of these fields are devoid of any wildlife,just empty green deserts.Development if done right can increase the areas for wildlife in a big way.The housing developments now around us all have pond building and woodland planting as standard and the local wildlife seems to be very happy moving in quickly when they are finished.

That was supposed to be happening at various opencast projects in Scotland as well, but just a few days ago we had this...

A court decision to give Scottish Coal's liquidators the right to abandon cleanup operations on opencast mines has been blasted by environmental campaigners.

On Thursday, judges at the Court of Session agreed that the troubled firm could ignore statutory obligations to restrict dust and water pollution and to restore the land afterwards.

The Court also agreed that the company's liquidators KPMG could pay themselves before making payments to local planning authorities to restore the abandoned mines.

Malcolm Spaven, Chair of the Scottish Opencast Communities Alliance (Soca), said the decision was "a backward step for environmental responsibility".

He said: "Having trashed the countryside, Scottish Coal are now being given carte blanche to walk away from the mess they have created. They have also created a precedent for any future company to abandon the obligations imposed on them when they were granted planning permission.

"The end result is that Scottish Coal’s directors get to disappear with millions while cash-strapped local authorities and government agencies such as SEPA are left with an impossible bill for clean-up.

"Meanwhile the communities that have had to endure noise, dust and pollution for years face the prospect of many sites never being restored."

http://news.stv.tv/politics/232863-campaigners-blast-courts-scottish-coal-opencast-mine-cleanup-decision/

Liquidators of the Scottish Coal mines operation have escaped responsibility for a £73m clean-up bill.

The decision by a senior judge has left a question mark over who will pay.

The Court of Session in Edinburgh was told the final bill linked to the Scottish Coal Company's (SSC) open cast mining sites would make the sites too costly to maintain.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-23348222

If anyone's ever going to pay for it, looks like it'll be the taxpayers.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Probably so their wives, golf partners and wives golf partners can pile in before they submit the mysteriously successful planning application.

If that's what you really believe why not pile in yourself? Shares are traded freely.

Personally I think they have underestimated the strength of change resistance in the UK and have little chance. It's why I also think shale gas explorers will spend a lot of expensive time mostly going nowhere..

Edited by TrevorS

HOLA443

If that's what you really believe why not pile in yourself? Shares are traded freely.

Personally I think they have underestimated the strength of change resistance in the UK and have little chance. It's why I also think shale gas explorers will spend a lot of expensive time mostly going nowhere..

Until the lights start going out of course.

HOLA444
HOLA445
  • 3 years later...
HOLA446

Another puff piece in the Telegraph today:

Digging for the future: Sirius Minerals' Yorkshire fertiliser mine an investment set to last '100 years'

I suppose after the company goes bankrupt and all the current investors lose their money then whoever buys up the assets might end up owning a mine that lasts 100 years.

HOLA447
HOLA448
On 06/12/2016 at 2:06 PM, One-percent said:

I'm convinced that this is just a cover to bring fracking in the back door

No.

Fracking is covered by a different rule.

At the mo. the oil + gas exloration licenses are  mainly off shore. And they nohting will happen til oil is more than $120 barrell.

HOLA449
On 06/12/2016 at 11:30 AM, Will! said:

Another puff piece in the Telegraph today:

Digging for the future: Sirius Minerals' Yorkshire fertiliser mine an investment set to last '100 years'

I suppose after the company goes bankrupt and all the current investors lose their money then whoever buys up the assets might end up owning a mine that lasts 100 years.

No mine digging company will give you a 100 year guarantee. 40 years is about tops.

Thats more people trying to make the numbers with a spreadsheet - Hmm numbers arent good. Ok, change life span to 100 years - Wow!

Boulby mine, just up the road, is falling to bits.

HOLA4410
17 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No.

Fracking is covered by a different rule.

At the mo. the oil + gas exloration licenses are  mainly off shore. And they nohting will happen til oil is more than $120 barrell.

Perhaps, but fracking is happening elsewhere.  Near Malton?  I cannot come with any other logical explanation for the new potash mine, unless it it to fleece investors. There is a bit of a track record of that in the area as we both know.  

Pipeline under the moors to teeside?  I don't think so.  The whole thing stinks

HOLA4411
21 minutes ago, One-percent said:

Perhaps, but fracking is happening elsewhere.  Near Malton?  I cannot come with any other logical explanation for the new potash mine, unless it it to fleece investors. There is a bit of a track record of that in the area as we both know.  

Pipeline under the moors to teeside?  I don't think so.  The whole thing stinks

Maybe. Its a very high risk investment.

Fleece/AIM market. Same thing.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4412

• 10 months later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
  • 1 year later...
HOLA4417
  • 3 months later...
HOLA4418
On 03/02/2013 at 10:16, spyguy said:

The chances of Sirus developing this mine is virtually nil.

I assume they want to tidy up the rights and then sell it on to another company - assuming they don;t run out of money first.

Investegate:  Anglo American response re. Sirius Minerals Plc

It looks like Sirius tried the second and is now doing the first.

Any sensible shareholder would sell at 5.5p, but I wonder if there are many local shareholders who will hang on.  (We're not giving it away etc.)

Edited by Will!

HOLA4419
23 minutes ago, Will! said:

Investegate:  Anglo American response re. Sirius Minerals Plc

It looks like Sirius tried the second and is now doing the first.

Any sensible shareholder would sell at 5.5p, but I wonder if there are many local shareholders who will hang on.  (We're not giving it away etc.)

To quote from various local pubs, bulletin boards and over heard talks.

'These are shares worth <put stupid large sum in>. I wont sell for £1000 ....'

Shocking that these shysters have burnt thru so much cash without achieving much.

Assuming AA go ahead then Id assume theyll do the following:

1) Can the tunnel.

2) Buy Boulby off ICL and build a new railline and mine entrance at Boulby.

3) Dig a new hole to the deposit.

Boulby have a laid a lot of people off since I posted 9 (!!!) years ago - about 50%/1,500 down.

Xmas Lex ha a comment piece:

https://www.ft.com/content/33d0ac11-7e7a-492c-a5ea-83cba9f73e12

• 1 month later...
HOLA4420
On 08/01/2020 at 14:21, spyguy said:

To quote from various local pubs, bulletin boards and over heard talks.

'These are shares worth <put stupid large sum in>. I wont sell for £1000 ....'

Looking at the London South East forum there seem to be quite a few very vocal Sirius shareholders who want to vote no to the Anglo American bid but are too stupid to work out how to vote.

HOLA4421
7 minutes ago, Will! said:

Looking at the London South East forum there seem to be quite a few very vocal Sirius shareholders who want to vote no to the Anglo American bid but are too stupid to work out how to vote.

https://www.yorkshirecoastradio.com/news/local-news/3044326/sirius-board-rules-out-alternative-rescue-package/?fbclid=IwAR1kwh-3Y9LQU2_eQzJbdmm9AFImvE3TyBaDIWMa8gBjDtQorhtJTOKAR1A

Do you want Anglo American to get the benefit of the 2400% valuation uplift
or the existing Sirius Minerals share holders and institutions?

https://fundsirius.com/

SM never bothered asking the +50% owners of the company if we would like to help raise the $600m
So if we demonstrate to them that we can do so, we may yet fend off the AA bid and get to keep our shares.
Please visit the dedicate website setup for this here: https://fundsirius.com/

This is really important and our best chance of KEEPING OUR SHARES IN SIRIUS MINERALS
PLEASE tell everyone, we need this to go viral to reach all the 85,000 shareholders and people that just want to help
It does not matter if you are an existing shareholder - EVERYONE CAN DO THIS

Companies facing admin are usually trading companies with cashflow issues because expense outweighs income because of a changing market/flawed business model, uncompetitive or outdated product and so on. The SXX business - post construction - has a wall of cash - BILLIONS of dollars - of income. The SXX business model doesn't need a turnaround as is the case in most administration situations. You know full well the point I am making.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/sirius-minerals-share-price-plummeting-16939841

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/business/yorkshire-coast-mineral-association-says-it-will-be-tragic-if-sirius-minerals-mining-project-has-to-be-scrapped-1-10262090

HOLA4422
1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Companies facing admin are usually trading companies with cashflow issues because expense outweighs income because of a changing market/flawed business model, uncompetitive or outdated product and so on. The SXX business - post construction - has a wall of cash - BILLIONS of dollars - of income. The SXX business model doesn't need a turnaround as is the case in most administration situations. You know full well the point I am making.

Good grief, that is some expensive stupidity.

I see the share price is well below Anglo American’s bid price of 5.5p.  Presumably Sirius’s bondholders will buy below the bid price and vote yes to avoid liquidation and haircuts.

• 8 months later...
HOLA4423

I thought landowners rights went down a foot or so...not deep to the core of the Earth.

Mining rights belong to the crown, if someone has the appropriate licence there is not a lot you can do about it, even if your house sits above the said mine! The farmers own the land, but they don't own the mineral rights below it