Christmas Bonus Time - Poll

Lion

HOLA441
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Of course, scientists collaborate internationally with labs around the world. But locally, at each lab, people need to come to work.

You can't beat face to face interaction IMO

Ok, if a lab is needed then in your case working from home might not be feasible (at least not most of the time), but the idea that "You can't beat face to face interaction" is a fallacy.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Ok, if a lab is needed then in your case working from home might not be feasible (at least not most of the time), but the idea that "You can't beat face to face interaction" is a fallacy.

I find the fun of the face to face interaction stimulating, the spontaneous let's grab lunch, a coffee, a beer, let's play around with 'whatever problem', it's not quite the same by video conference, although admittedly the latter has opened up many opportunities for extensive interactions - or perhaps I'm a dinosaur :)

Edited by LiveinHope

HOLA445

I did not intend to brag with my opening post, it was a serious question. I did also not expect that mentioning my bonus would look like bragging or offend some. The destructive bankers' bonuses had (and still have) a few zeros more, so my bonus is nothing to get too excited about. ;-)

But I agree, a standard poll would have been better (with various answers to tick), without mentioning my bonus.

I see discretion has trumped valour.

I honestly didn't realise that a "Christmas bonus" was de rigeur. I assumed bonuses were usually aligned to annual business performance in the business year (will vary between orgs). Christmas to me triggers parallels to S. European practice of extra pay days.

HOLA446
With this "poll" I wanted to get an idea where our company stands when it comes to bonuses, and so far I think we are far more generous than most. But then we should be - we have done pretty well. I am however shocked how many companies do not pay any bonuses - I think anything less than half a monthly salary bonus is mean if the company makes profit.

I objected to your premise/wording, the idea that everyone gets a bonus, you just wanted to know how big. Now that you've learned how tactless that was, given that so many of us don't, all well and good. I haven't had a bonus for over a decade (software engineer), and the company hasn't paid for a Christmas party for many years either.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

I objected to your premise/wording, the idea that everyone gets a bonus, you just wanted to know how big. Now that you've learned how tactless that was, given that so many of us don't, all well and good. I haven't had a bonus for over a decade (software engineer), and the company hasn't paid for a Christmas party for many years either.

As someone with (borderline) Asperger I am used to coming across tactless - after all it is a classic part of my social impairment... I often just state facts, without realising that they could cause offence. And yes, I was not aware that many companies do not pay Christmas bonuses (or other annual bonuses) - I never worked in such a company.

Edited by Lion

HOLA4411

Christmas bonus payments are not only an indication of how well companies are doing but also how they see their future. Are the bonuses back at the levels seen a few years ago?

This seems to be the case in my company - my company usually pays good bonuses to all staff and they are at record levels this year. In my case about 1.5 times of one monthly salary (in manufacturing).

My wife got about one monthly salary (also in manufacturing).

It would be interesting to know:

- How much bonus did you get (in relation to an average monthly salary)

- Was it more than the average bonus over the last few years?

- What industry are you in?

£125 Xmas bonus, that was across the board in my company from the lowest paid right up to the MD. Manufacturing repair. We hardly ever hit the profit target to make a monthly bonus but when we do its only £100 - nothing like 1.5 x the salary!!!

HOLA4412

I got a 3 figure bonus and a M&S hamper (though when i opened it it looked for like a posh food bank care package lol)

I have done a horrendous amount of over time this year (evenings, mornings, weekends) and while my bonus is not massive its nice to have my hard work recognised and its better than a kick in the teeth! :P

HOLA4413

As someone with (borderline) Asperger I am used to coming across tactless - after all it is a classic part of my social impairment... I often just state facts, without realising that they could cause offence. And yes, I was not aware that many companies do not pay Christmas bonuses (or other annual bonuses) - I never worked in such a company.

After reading your description of Aspergers im starting to think I might be borderline Asperger aswell!

HOLA4414