House Price Crash Forum

Is The Offer Of A Reward Legally Binding ?

ScrewsNutsandBolts

HOLA441

Can anyone with legal experience give me an idea whether an offer of a reward is legally binding ?

The background is:

1) Mr A has a valuable item stolen which I assume was not insured (value in the region of 3000 quid).

2) Mr A places adverts all over the internet (user forums, gumtree, etc) stating a reward of a few hundred quid to anyone who helps him recover it.

3) Mr B finds the item and informs Mr A of the location.

4) Mr A, with the help of the police, recovers the item.

5) Mr A thanks Mr B, and in writing confirms that a reward is owed and will be payed within a few weeks

5) Months later Mr B has received nothing, and Mr A dono longer responds to any emails on the subject.

HOLA442

Can anyone with legal experience give me an idea whether an offer of a reward is legally binding ?

The background is:

1) Mr A has a valuable item stolen which I assume was not insured (value in the region of 3000 quid).

2) Mr A places adverts all over the internet (user forums, gumtree, etc) stating a reward of a few hundred quid to anyone who helps him recover it.

5) Mr A thanks Mr B, and in writing confirms that a reward is owed and will be payed within a few weeks

5) Months later Mr B has received nothing, and Mr A dono longer responds to any emails on the subject.

IANAL but I would think it is binding, it is a contract.

B fulfilled their half of contract.

A grey area might be if B was suspected of playing a part in the original theft. A would have to prove that though, if B sued A for the reward.

HOLA443

IANAL but I would think it is binding, it is a contract.

B fulfilled their half of contract.

A grey area might be if B was suspected of playing a part in the original theft. A would have to prove that though, if B sued A for the reward.

Well I am Mr B... and I am pretty sure I didn't originally nick it from Mr A ! It would be pretty hard to make that stick as the item is not really traceable (no serial numbers etc), and it would have been quite easy to achieve 3K resale for whoever had it.

If it is binding, and I was inclined to pursue it, what would be the correct route ?

I only have an email address and phone number, so can't send a written letter.

Is this a small claims court type of thing ?

HOLA444

Well I am Mr B... and I am pretty sure I didn't originally nick it from Mr A ! It would be pretty hard to make that stick as the item is not really traceable (no serial numbers etc), and it would have been quite easy to achieve 3K resale for whoever had it.

If it is binding, and I was inclined to pursue it, what would be the correct route ?

sue the ungrateful person

HOLA445

You cannot bring a case against an email address. Thus you must find the person. That person may deny being the owner of the address, they may deny that you have ever asked them for the money. You want documented proof that you have asked and they have failed to act. You can then go online and fill out a small claims form against them.

HOLA446

You cannot bring a case against an email address. Thus you must find the person. That person may deny being the owner of the address, they may deny that you have ever asked them for the money. You want documented proof that you have asked and they have failed to act. You can then go online and fill out a small claims form against them.

Perhaps you could keep an eye out for a court case ensuing from the theft.

HOLA447
HOLA448

Sorry to read of this. Honesty is its own reward I know, but it does make anyone upset when a promised reward seems to have been forgotten about.

Do an email via an email receipt system if possible, one that doesn't need the recipient to acknowledge it for it to trigger. In the subject line, put: Mr X, reward not rec'd.

In the body, politely advise him that the reward was not received and ask when it will be sent to you. Add that you are not prepared to let matters rest there if he doesn't answer

If it's any consolation, I've returned full wallets and other items to people about half a dozen times and never even had a thank you email, let alone a reward.

HOLA449

Thanks for the advice so far.

I am still not really sure whether to pursue it, as doing a good turn is somehow reward in itself. The difference this time is that I put quite a bit of time and effort into the process and the reward was clearly promised. It's the fact that he has just disappeared that is annoying, and all the emails I have sent so far are really very friendly.

I suppose the police will have a record of the theft and his details, but I guess they could not give me that information.

If I can get an adress without too much effort then I will perhaps send a letter.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Guest TheBlueCat

The background is:

Yes, I would think it would count as a unilateral offer to contract as covered by Carlill v Carbolic Smoke Ball Company:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlill_v_Carbolic_Smoke_Ball_Company

You could take it to the small claims court and most likely win.

HOLA4413

So next question... if all you had was a first name, a mobile phone number, and a county (Cambs) how would you try and find an address ? I have exhausted pretty much all internet searches based on knowing his hobby (related to the stolen item) and his (fortunately unusual) first name. Phoning might be a one shot thing, as he'll likely avoid my calls after the first one. Any suggestions ?

HOLA4414

I would try the police and see if they can help. They must get annoyed if joe public helps to solve a crime and then is not given the reward that was clearly offered. They may have a word in his ear ....

I would go with the police angle as well. You say that the police helped him recover the item, so they have been involved?

HOLA4415

I would go with the police angle as well. You say that the police helped him recover the item, so they have been involved?

I located the item online and let him know the details, then he contacted the police who picked the item up and returned it to the original owner. In one of the forums he had originally sought help in he posted a reply to say the item had been found, and thanked me by name and the Police Officer by first name and initial of surname. As I know the PO works at Cambs, and have the date, time and location of the theft i think we could figure out the case concerned (if the police help that is).

I will text the guy who promised the reward tonight with a friendly reminder, asking where I stand with this, then if there's nor reply I'll go the police route.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

So, I offer a million squid for something of real value. You deliver, my life is transformed for the better.

Hang on, I haven't got a million squid. How about £1k instead: I can manage that?

What are you going to sue me for? Let's say for the sake of argument, I've offered £1k, I can manage £10k without much pain, £100k with substantial sacrifice, but £1million, never. Where are you going to pitch your claim?

Take a traditional approach?

HOLA4418

To add one extra fact, the guy who lost the item had bought a replacement before I found the original stolen item. That would have cost him around 5K. He then would have had two virtually identical items, an old version and the current version. He planned to sell the older one and keep the newer one. That sale would have netted him approx. 3K. The promised reward was around 10% of the resale price, so he keeps just under 3K and the finder gets a few hundred quid.

It does seem a bit tight/dishonest to renege on the promise when he has benefitted to the tune of 3 grand.

Anyway, texted tonight and if no reply I will try and see if the police in Cambs can help.

HOLA4419

To update for anyone with any interest (either now or looking back):

Phoned the police and although they sympathised with my situation they said that they were unable to really help. Then spent an hour with the vague leads I already had and managed to track him down. Fired off an email with the suggestion I might pursue a civil claim. They paid up within the hour. Half has already gone to a good cause, and the remaining half will sort out my son's first birthday this week :)

HOLA4420

Phoned the police and although they sympathised with my situation they said that they were unable to really help. Then spent an hour with the vague leads I already had and managed to track him down. Fired off an email with the suggestion I might pursue a civil claim. They paid up within the hour. Half has already gone to a good cause, and the remaining half will sort out my son's first birthday this week :)

I think you would've had a good case there if it hadn't been concluded. I also think it might have become a minor cause celebre* not least because it significantly involved t'internet & news companies like that.

edit: *The "plaintiff" possibly realised this too and might be why he paid up.

HOLA4421

I think you would've had a good case there if it hadn't been concluded. I also think it might have become a minor cause celebre* not least because it significantly involved t'internet & news companies like that.

edit: *The "plaintiff" possibly realised this too and might be why he paid up.

Turned out he was a middle-age doctor... might have been a bit embarassing for the poor chap.

I think anonymity provides cover for a lot of character flaws to come out. As soon as he realised I knew who he was he coughed up. I suppose it works both ways though, and perhaps it was my anonymity that made me ask for the reward at all. Anyway, I bought myself a clear conscience by giving half away so I'll sleep well tonight.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Good news. And agree with your point that the anonymity of usernames on the interent (both yours and his) means that you may behave in a way you wouldn't to a real-life person.

Archived