House Price Crash Forum

Families Priced Out Of Summer Day Trips, Charity Says

HOLA441

I decided not to have kids, it ain't arf cheaper :rolleyes: Just booked a weekend in Cornwall £80 B&B for me and the pooch at the end July and a whole week in Cornwall for £250 me, girlfriend and the dog in a caravan ( my working class roots will never leave me )

Apart from buying food which we'll be cooking for ourselves, we'll be doing loads of coastal walks, nature reserves, visting Polkeris, Fowey, Mevagissey, Charlsetown and house hunting and generally loads of things that don't cost the earth, I find that people who had kids tend to be pressured into going to places that cost money, I really don't get that.

you better bring about 50 quid for parking charges for the week. ive never knowing anywhere like cornwall for rip off parking both council run and private.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Thats curious, we had a day out to Scarborough on sat and I thought it was heaving, I even commented to the better half that the lack of cash must be driving people to spend a day or two at uk seaside places than going abroad.

We were looking at the price of crazy golf - £22 for a family of four - how can you justify that?

Mmmm, the Castle at Scarborough got no custom fro us, I don't even know how much it was but they were charging just to go in. 'Stuff that', I though, 'you've seen one ruined castle you've seen 'em all'. Now they could have stalls selling refreshments inside and I'd spend money on that but just to go into a ruin-no thanks.

Edited by zebbedee

HOLA443

Maybe it depended what line of work your folks were in. Large factories and such as the railways had organised (and perhaps subsidised?) holidays. I've heard it said that it wasn't unusual for whole towns to be on holiday at the same time.

Potters' Fortnight was still common in the towns and villages around Stoke-on-Trent when I was a lad (even though the industry was already a fraction of its former self). The school often remained open during it but lots of kids would be away. Sadly, I was never one of them.

HOLA444

I remember the Harry Potter exhibition opening. There was a piece on the TV about it; you know when you're not really interested or listening, and you hear something "float past" and think "did I really hear that?"

In this case, the line "a visit for a family of four costs £84"

I wouldn't begrudge that for a whole day at Alton Towers. Though that's probably a lot more. But £84 for a couple of hours in an exhibition?

Likewise there are ads on TV for "Cottages 4 U". No, I mean the buildings in the countryside. These looked rather attractive and so I went to the website and started having a look around.

I thought "these must be being practically given away this year" and happened to find a house that purely co-indicentally, looks exactly like ours in a nice area down near the New Forest. Price per five day stay (midweek) = £650. No flexibility - weekends or midweek, that's your lot.

OK it sleeps six I think, but here's the rub: I reckon that if you can't afford to go abroad for the weather and decide to stay in the UK, you're not going to expect to have to pay anything like the same money, are you.

I don't think they're trying very hard.

HOLA445

Went to a south east coast seaside town at the weekend. £2.60 to park for two hours - two cars as with relatives so 5.20 - we would have liked to stay for 3 hours but that was 3.60 each. That is money directly taken away from the businesses that you then do not spend there. We were looking at the price of crazy golf - £22 for a family of four - how can you justify that? i guess wages and rates and insurances and all the policies you ned to have in place plus the vat and taxes, NI etc must make a big chunk of it.

I normally factor that a day out for a family of four would be £100. What we do do is always bring a packed lunch and bottles of water. If its just me I'll even take a small gas stove and cooking kit but the wife thinks thats a bit OTT. Also do a lot of outdoors stuff liek walking and beachcombing. But car parks charge so much. Stopped at Alfriston the other week for a quick walk - £2 in car park for one hour stop. £8 for four ice creams. Often we will go and buy a box of ice lollies from the supermarket instead of using ice cream vans or shops.

Not having a holiday this year as dont think we have the money. Holiday in school holidays would be at least £800 - 1000 for a week somewhere if you factor in accom and travel, even doing it on the cheap.

Have you looked at trains? (don't laugh). But I wouldn't dream of driving to say Blackpool or Scarborough. I'd get the Transpennine Express and take the bike. If you booked in advance might be sufficient to offset fuel and parking charges.

Was a program about Wainright (the guy that wrote all the hill walking books). He would walk all day on his day off, have fish and chips for lunch and catch the last bus home. Amazing chap.

Edited by Socially Housed

HOLA446
HOLA447

What we do do is always bring a packed lunch and bottles of water. If its just me I'll even take a small gas stove and cooking kit but the wife thinks thats a bit OTT.

I'd love to see you get those into the Olympic site - especially the gas stove.

HOLA448

Spot on.

A free out doors,

(almost everywhere if it weren't for local councils and the National Trust)

Blitish Taxpayers are shafted every year for 10's Millions+ by National Trust/Wildlife conners cos they is huge landowners paid these amounts thru DEFRA (DEFRA-UDERS)

They then have the audacity to charge you again and again and again when you reach your destination!

Edited by erranta

HOLA449

Talking of charging for car parks, there was a big campaign here a while ago because Richmond Park wanted to start charging for parking (at the moment it's still free). The Royal Parks were talking of charging a min. of £3 - a 'nominal' charge as they called it, and to them it probably is nominal. On a nice day at weekends and in school hols you see stacks of families walking, cycling, having picnics....

...and screaming profanities as their dogs attack the wildlife.

Edited by The Ayatollah Buggeri

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Have you looked at trains? (don't laugh). But I wouldn't dream of driving to say Blackpool or Scarborough. I'd get the Transpennine Express and take the bike. If you booked in advance might be sufficient to offset fuel and parking charges.

Was a program about Wainright (the guy that wrote all the hill walking books). He would walk all day on his day off, have fish and chips for lunch and catch the last bus home. Amazing chap.

train is a nightmare for holidays. they are only fine for minimalists. i take fishing equipment and beach equipment and enough clothes for 2 weeks for a family. i live in the so called outdoor capital of the uk, and what you describe is what i see every day, except the miserable soaked faces with heavy rucksacks trundelling along, or the wife on a bike behind her husband fearing for her life on a winding busy country road.

what you describe is not a holiday for a family, but a nightmare

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Yes, have looked into trains. We have a family and friends railcard and sometimes use that for a cheap sunday trip to london for the family. Longer distances do not seem cheaper as 4 tickets, even with the discount, are rareley cheaper than cars. Couple fo years back we stayed in Looe in Cornwall and got the train to St Ives which worked out cheaper than the car, very slow and uncomfortable but after driving round padstow for an hour looking to park once it made much more sense.

HOLA4415

We (family of four) use buses almost exclusively when on hols. Much more relaxing and interesting than more driving. We use trains less these days unless taking the Eurostar to the med via Paris.

Trains are a bit pricey for long distances and a group of four. (Well pricey seeing as we've sunk thousands into a car; not so pricey in real terms).

Recently was in a west country city and paid only £8 a day for all day buses for all of us. Not bad considering the OOT hotel wanted three quid a night for car parking.

I can never get too worked up about car parking charges; sometimes invested millions in, usually valuable town centre, land.

HOLA4416

train is a nightmare for holidays. they are only fine for minimalists. i take fishing equipment and beach equipment and enough clothes for 2 weeks for a family. i live in the so called outdoor capital of the uk, and what you describe is what i see every day, except the miserable soaked faces with heavy rucksacks trundelling along, or the wife on a bike behind her husband fearing for her life on a winding busy country road.

what you describe is not a holiday for a family, but a nightmare

HOLA4417

Walked past the car park in the town centre yesterday - it was practically full. Parking is free there on Sunday and those shops that were open were doing a brisk trade.

I'm always amazed that antique shops and the like don't often open on Sundays. Surely that would be their busiest of 2nd busiest day if they opened. Close on a Tuesday instead - surely more punters on a Sunday than a Tuesday?

Likewise charity shops and book stores.

:o

HOLA4418

Likewise there are ads on TV for "Cottages 4 U". No, I mean the buildings in the countryside. These looked rather attractive and so I went to the website and started having a look around.

I thought "these must be being practically given away this year" and happened to find a house that purely co-indicentally, looks exactly like ours in a nice area down near the New Forest. Price per five day stay (midweek) = £650. No flexibility - weekends or midweek, that's your lot.

OK it sleeps six I think, but here's the rub: I reckon that if you can't afford to go abroad for the weather and decide to stay in the UK, you're not going to expect to have to pay anything like the same money, are you.

I don't think they're trying very hard.

Mr B and I had a few days in Lyme the other week*. The co. we booked the accomm. with (last minute 'bargain') has a lot of cancellation 'bargains' on its website, by which they usually mean perhaps £150 off the usual £850 ish for a 4/6 sleeper week in July/August. Maybe only £110.

The local paper had an article about the 'raincession', as someone had dubbed it. Business markedly down across the board.

I can foresee a lot of holiday lets going on the market later in the year. Often they don't let all that much outside the high season periods anyway, and I've seen quite a few that would normally be booked solid for the school holidays still showing July/Aug. vacancies.

As somebody said, the wet summer will have knock-on effects for next year, since people who've had a disappointing time aren't likely to want to come back.

Also a lot of those who have come anyway won't have had much choice. They will have had to pay in full 6 weeks before arriving, so would have lost their money if they'd decided to go elsewhere.

Just not an option for many.

*Mind you could have been worse. Out of 3 full days one and a half were lovely - the other one and a half chucking it down almost non stop.

Edited by Mrs Bear

HOLA4419

We (family of four) use buses almost exclusively when on hols. Much more relaxing and interesting than more driving. We use trains less these days unless taking the Eurostar to the med via Paris.

Trains are a bit pricey for long distances and a group of four. (Well pricey seeing as we've sunk thousands into a car; not so pricey in real terms).

Recently was in a west country city and paid only £8 a day for all day buses for all of us. Not bad considering the OOT hotel wanted three quid a night for car parking.

I can never get too worked up about car parking charges; sometimes invested millions in, usually valuable town centre, land.

I've been on a bus twice this year, first time for years. I found them extortionate for the short journey and pricey for the long one. Trains are worse.

I don't understand this problem about parking. As we like walking all you need is a map of the town and park slightly out in a side street, usually it's a five minute walk if that and you save £4. I have never (for example) paid to park in Penzance. Okay, I do have to pay every time in St Ives so I don't go there much!

HOLA4420

I went to Knebworth House this weekend. Firstly - really great place, tenner per adult, under 4s are free. Once you are in the rest is free including a free train ride. Plus the food isn't that expensive. http://www.knebworthhouse.com/

Now - I spoke to three members of staff their. All of them had a very clear view on this summer's business:

- dire

- disaster

- lost a fortune

They blamed the weather. It's impossible to say as we can't re-run this summer with better weather, but my bet is the main problem is:

the UK public have no money

HOLA4421

I've been on a bus twice this year, first time for years. I found them extortionate for the short journey and pricey for the long one. Trains are worse.

I don't understand this problem about parking. As we like walking all you need is a map of the town and park slightly out in a side street, usually it's a five minute walk if that and you save £4. I have never (for example) paid to park in Penzance. Okay, I do have to pay every time in St Ives so I don't go there much!

Been on a bus twice, one of them the driver was on the fiddle dishing me out a £0.00 ticket (presumably concession tickets) and then charging the full amount. Should have repotred him but just made sure I got a proper receipt to put through the books and gave hinm a look.

HOLA4422

I was on a bus on Saturday, £3.50 for a day ticket, two journeys (6 miles). Had to get a taxi back from a do, worked out the same for two people.

Thanks to the cost of living and the sprawl of the state and its regulatory prowess and financial thirst, the cost of living is ever increasing. The prevailing attitude seems to be charge as much as you can without any thought of the prevailing circumstances.

A nation of spivs and chancers.

Pop will eat itself.

HOLA4423

Been on a bus twice, one of them the driver was on the fiddle dishing me out a £0.00 ticket (presumably concession tickets) and then charging the full amount. Should have repotred him but just made sure I got a proper receipt to put through the books and gave hinm a look.

I don't think you buy tickets these days. Here in West Yorkshire we have Metro cards, about £35 pw for zone 1-5, and also day rover passes. Bit like Oyster Card in London.

HOLA4424

I don't think you buy tickets these days. Here in West Yorkshire we have Metro cards, about £35 pw for zone 1-5, and also day rover passes. Bit like Oyster Card in London.

Metro areas havw cards, out in the sticks and things like park and ride schemes - still rely on old style payg tickets, although you can get cards.

HOLA4425

from bbc

[/b]

i find it costs at least £200 for a proper day out now. i have just returned from cornwall and on way home went to legoland windsor this cost £125 quid just for the entrance fee for 3 of us ie wife, kid and myself. and once in the extras soon added up like £35 quid for a lunch, some things not free when they should be and a gift to take home. place was heaving too. they even charged 2 quid for parking, i thought that was a real con, i mean youve paid £125 quid to get onto there grounds then they chaarge you to park?

its much much cheaper to go abroad, heck you can near get a weeks holiday for the cost of a day out in the uk. we in this country are pricing ourselves out of work.

I take the kids to the lake district.£25 diesel.£15 on packed lunches in the backpacks,we climbed Scafell Pike last month,the kids loved it .Far too expensive days out now but the kids enjoy what we do more .