House Price Crash Forum

Families Priced Out Of Summer Day Trips, Charity Says

HOLA441

Was a program about Wainright (the guy that wrote all the hill walking books). He would walk all day on his day off, have fish and chips for lunch and catch the last bus home. Amazing chap.

What's unusual about that?

When I lived in Sheffield, a good Sunday walk was out of my front door and up into the peaks. One of the best variants on that was to reach Kinder in the early evening, in time to hit the Pennine Way by dark for an easy descent into Edale for a pub meal and the last train back to Sheffield.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

The problem I find with buses is that unless you're local and you know where it is that you're supposed to be getting off (if not at the terminus at the other end), frankly, the bus could go anywhere and you'd be none the wiser. Or is that just me..

HOLA443

The problem I find with buses is that unless you're local and you know where it is that you're supposed to be getting off (if not at the terminus at the other end), frankly, the bus could go anywhere and you'd be none the wiser. Or is that just me..

Locals only!

200league_gentlemen.jpg

This is what stopped my using them in London, I never knew where to get out whereas trains and tubes actually tell you. Signposting is non-existent. Even when you know it doesn't always help, I spent 20 mins waiting for one a few weeks between two places I know well only to find out I was the wrong side of the road (I was the right side if I had been driving but the bus went some tortuous route). All-in it took me two hours for what would have been 25 mins max in the car; never again.

Also mentioned on the radio this morning direct London - Cornwall trains to be reduced from 9 a day to 6. It's the public transport-less recovery. Everybody buy cars now.

HOLA444

What's unusual about that?

When I lived in Sheffield, a good Sunday walk was out of my front door and up into the peaks. One of the best variants on that was to reach Kinder in the early evening, in time to hit the Pennine Way by dark for an easy descent into Edale for a pub meal and the last train back to Sheffield.

Well its unusual for some people who's idea of a day out is to drive miles, park in an overpriced Council car park and then wander round shops which they could do nearer home.

HOLA445

They blamed the weather. It's impossible to say as we can't re-run this summer with better weather, but my bet is the main problem is:

the UK public have no money

Doesn't help, I'm sure, but haven't people been quite willing to spend during the unseasonable mini heatwaves in the past year? I seem to remember news reports about shops running out of sausages and suncream and beaches being rammed in the first week of October 2011 and the hot weather in March earlier this year. Of course it helped that both big sunny weekends fell just after payday, too. Obviously a lot of people have no money at all for this kind of thing now, but equally lots do. I should think it's some combination of the two factors.

Saying that, I well believe that lots of families are priced out of any kind of day out. Posters are discussing possible cheaper options, but these aren't accessible to everyone. If you don't live within walking distance of somewhere worth going for a picnic or a walk, your options are severely limited. Buses, coaches and trains can often be very expensive even if you're able to get a deal on them (something which you usually need to arrange in advance, so quite risky during a washout summer!). Driving tends to be cheaper, if you're going a short distance, but of course that's increasingly expensive too. It's a bloody shame if we can't all get the odd change of scenery now and then.

HOLA446

The 60's were 50 years ago.

:(

An ex-colleague was born in 1959 and it always was a huge disappointment to him that it wasn't 1960. Not because it was the hippy decade but every time he had to say he was born in ninenteen fifty... he thought it made him seem really old even though he wasn't. He looked it though as he'd been very overweight for ages and his skin was sagging in his 30s so I can understand why he had a thing about it.

HOLA447

I have a fantastic Android app that's really helped with using buses when you're not a local. As well as timetabling and route planning, you can use the GPS (or just the guess work version) to plot where on a map of the route you are in real time. Also, it lists all the stops on the route with the next-stop highlighted. It really is excellent (particularly as it is both free and covers all Europe).

HOLA448

Your choice where you go out. There's no entrance fee to the beach, or to any number of footpaths, bridlepaths, byways, etc.

I still have to remind myself I'm rich enough to afford a £1 entrance fee sometimes. Just not used to it :huh:

+1

Yorkshiure Dales

North York Moors

Bridlington Beach

etc etc

HOLA449

+1

Yorkshiure Dales

North York Moors

Bridlington Beach

etc etc

but i live in places like this, holidays for me are to go where people are, not to be remote again.

your looking at it from a city dwellers perspective. i live at the bottom of ben nevis for heaven sake and work on the islands.

its great to get to the city

Edited by homeless

HOLA4410

It all depends if you shop around and know how to use offers and deals to get into places for far less.

We went to Legoland last week. It cost £16 for 1 Parent + Toddler,£2 for Parking and the other adult we used Tesco Deals so that was free. We popped to Morrisons on the way and bought lunch for about £10. So that was about £30 all in.

Next week we are going to Colchester Zoo all with Tesco Deals. So that will just cost us Petrol and lunch from the supermarket.

3 weeks time we are going to Diggerland on the way to Holiday in Cornwall and this again we are using Tesco Deals.

Granted it is not as easy to get so many Tesco points but there are still ways. Recycling of Printer Cartridges is the best way at the moment. Buy 100 empty Cartridges for about £80 on ebay. This equates to £100 of vouchers, convert this to deals and that is £400 to spend on days out for £80 outlay.

HOLA4411