House Price Crash Forum

Collegue Got A "don't Park Outside Of My House" Note On His Car

Superted187

HOLA441

One of John Prescot't's great ideas was to make councils only give planning permission for new offices if they had insufficient car parking. This was meant to force people onto public transport, but they didn't bother to make public transport either usable or affordable for most people. I work in an office built under these mad rules, and is designed to have parking for half the staff. Maps have been put together showing the nearest streets (all residential) where you can park without being charged.

Wasn't he also behind the move towards new build residential properties room for just one car per household?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Had another note on my car on Friday. Not sure how long it had been there as I don't drive it much if at all during the week. The note claimed that I was selfish, and that parking by a dropped kerb was illegal. They don't have a drive, so not sure what the dropped kerb is for anyway. Needless to say I'll be ignoring it and will park there again when it the closest spot to my house. I really don't get why walking 20m to your car is such a hardship, I walk several miles a day to and from the station at each end of my commute come rain or shine, so the obsession with having your car outside your house is just plain weird to me. If you ate that bothered the solution is to get a house with a drive rather than stick petty notes on people's cars.

deliberately parking in front of a dropped-kerb is twatty behaviour imo. regardless if it's in front of a drive or not.

and you don't get "why walking 20m to your car is such a hardship" yet insist on inconsiderately parking in "the closest spot to my house". that's strange logic.

talking of inconvenience, i used once to live in a mews house and people would regularly park right outside (and across) my door and front window. people suggested that i put up cones or somesuch, though i never did as it was technically a public highway.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Just another extension of selfish NIMBYISM. Homeowners cant accept that the public highway is just that, public, not solely for their enjoyment. If they want say on what a road is used for they can live on a private estate and pay for the associated costs.

Fair enough if their driveway is blocked. Anything else and the homeowner is violating someone elses property rights and is the one in the wrong, not the parked motorist.

HOLA446

One of John Prescot't's great ideas was to make councils only give planning permission for new offices if they had insufficient car parking. This was meant to force people onto public transport, but they didn't bother to make public transport either usable or affordable for most people. I work in an office built under these mad rules, and is designed to have parking for half the staff. Maps have been put together showing the nearest streets (all residential) where you can park without being charged.

I think this was a Major govt that started it, Prescott just tightened it. Both parties are fully engaged with agenda 21 social engineering. Blade runner type cities are their idea of paradise (for the plebs at least, i'm sure the politburo class will have sprawling dachas in deepest surrey with plenty of Range rover parking)

HOLA447

Thanks for the suggestions and information. I'll just add that there's no public transport after 6pm and I have a car share for parking on site. My car share had problems with strange men sniffing about in the area where I received the note. So now I allow her to use the car park permanently,we work different shifts - it's a sham marriage. I doubt I'll follow thru with anything to be honest,I rarely park there and it's well worth avoiding for more reasons than one,especially late at night. The lower self thinks of revenge but it's a waste of energy.People park outside my house and I couldn't care less. If you don't have a drive - tough,move or get over it. When I worked in Rayleigh in Essex I got fed up with parking in the firms car park and walking 20 yards to work (groundhog day). So I parked about half a mile away and walked into work,just to make a change. I received a note saying we don't have people park in our street and then go to work and I assume you work in Sainsbury's - why don't you park there etc etc. I knocked on the door and I knew they were in (big house) but no answer. I didn't work at Sainsbury's - how rude. My car is an old sh*tter,I've had nice cars walked over, kicked,keyed-up,robbed and shunted. So no more nice cars,no point. However, the thought of someone touching my car to place a note on it is somewhat irritating - it just feels wrong... Anyway thanks again and for merging.

• 9 months later...
HOLA448

As some people have mentioned the issue sometimes occurs with not enough parking for businesses in town centre locations. I honestly don't understand why companies situate themselves in town centres. They often cite access to shops and nearby bars for after-work drinks give a better working spirit, compared to the nasty industrial estate; but I don't go to work so I can visit the shops, I'd much rather work in an out-of-town location that had plenty of parking.

And doncha know it, the people praising their shiny new town centre, glassed office block often have one of the limited on-site parking spots, while everyone else has to do a 15 minute walk each morning in the rain and risk the wrath off p1ssed of residents.

A 15 minute walk is nothing though (for the big majority of workers) and would keep a lot of people healthier. Even better a little brompton or similar and get there as quick as a car in most cases through town.

I'm day off work today and looking out from my balcony I can see cars in both directions, 100m one way and about 200m the other, full of cars and most just driving through town. See quite a few cycling and they travel through at roughly the same speed.

Ok it's not always practical to cycle/walk everywhere but many more could do it, perhaps I should just move to Amsterdam or Coppenhaggen or similar..

HOLA449

deliberately parking in front of a dropped-kerb is twatty behaviour imo. regardless if it's in front of a drive or not.

and you don't get "why walking 20m to your car is such a hardship" yet insist on inconsiderately parking in "the closest spot to my house". that's strange logic.

talking of inconvenience, i used once to live in a mews house and people would regularly park right outside (and across) my door and front window. people suggested that i put up cones or somesuch, though i never did as it was technically a public highway.

Only just seen this response as this thread was resurrected. You are talking tosh. Why is parking in front of a dropped curb twatty behaviour if there is no drive or other entrance being blocked? The dropped curb is an irrellevance.

I park in the closest spot, it's human nature, but I don't stress whether its 5m, 15m or 35m. Why is parking in the closest spot to my house inconsiderate? If the spot outside my house is taken I have to park somewhere or else I'd be driving around until the space outside my house became free, which would be daft.

HOLA4410

Only just seen this response as this thread was resurrected. You are talking tosh. Why is parking in front of a dropped curb twatty behaviour if there is no drive or other entrance being blocked? The dropped curb is an irrellevance.

I park in the closest spot, it's human nature, but I don't stress whether its 5m, 15m or 35m. Why is parking in the closest spot to my house inconsiderate? If the spot outside my house is taken I have to park somewhere or else I'd be driving around until the space outside my house became free, which would be daft.

Wheeled pedestrians eg. prams, wheelchairs, grannies with shopping trollies also use dropped kerbs.

HOLA4411

A 15 minute walk is nothing though (for the big majority of workers) and would keep a lot of people healthier. Even better a little brompton or similar and get there as quick as a car in most cases through town.

I'm day off work today and looking out from my balcony I can see cars in both directions, 100m one way and about 200m the other, full of cars and most just driving through town. See quite a few cycling and they travel through at roughly the same speed.

Ok it's not always practical to cycle/walk everywhere but many more could do it, perhaps I should just move to Amsterdam or Coppenhaggen or similar..

Lol... almost seamless necromancy. Well played.

HOLA4412

Wheeled pedestrians eg. prams, wheelchairs, grannies with shopping trollies also use dropped kerbs.

True, but the persons objection was that they considered it their reserved space, which is plain wrong. I don't know why the dropped kerb was there in the first place, its not at the end of path or anything, and plenty of other places nearby for elderly or disabled people to cross. With all these things there may have been a historical reason which is no longer valid, for example, we have two very faded disabled bays on the street that former residents had the council paint, but they have since moved out but the bays are still there. Everyone on the street knows they have moved out so use them as they do any other space.

The point of my original post was that people get very worked up about people parking in front of their house on a public road. I've had notes on my car from other people, one person even has pre printed notes that she puts on cars as soon as they park outside her house, another slightly mental person puts a couple of cones out to try and reserve her spaces. Bonkers behavior. I get on very well with my neighbours I should add, and the note writers are in the minority.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

As long as they don't damage the car, there is f##k all you can do. They can put as many notes like that on the cars as they are bothered to write. If they start to threaten in the notes, the by allk means take it to the police, but he can make your life harder than you can do to him.

Wrong! Lay one finger on someone elses vehicle on a public highway and you commit an offence, even putting notes under a windscreen wiper, the offence is called "tampering with a motor vehicle on a public highway"

HOLA4415

No parking permit signs around then you can park there. Contrary to popular belief people don't own the road outside of their street & you pay car tax which is effectively your right to rent the road. The only exception to this is a dropped kerb, you are not allowed to park next to one.

Otherwise post it here:

http://www.passiveaggressivenotes.com/ (Have a laugh, feel superior and like you belong to an exclusive club).

Highway Code: You shouldn't park opposite a driveway as you could cause an obstruction

Police: If you cause an obstruction then you can find your vehicle having a Fixed Penalty Notice slapped on it.

Archived