House Price Crash Forum

Collegue Got A "don't Park Outside Of My House" Note On His Car

Superted187

HOLA441

For me that is the answer right there. It's a 'highway', not a f*cking car park. No one should be allowed to park on roads, full stop. Not even the t*ssing homeowner. In fact, especially not them. If they don't have off road parking, they should not have a car.Think how much nicer and quieter it would be and so much better for walking and cycling.Think how much cheaper terraced houses would be and kids could play out without the fear of getting run over.

*MILITANT CYCLIST ALERT*

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

That depends upon your definition of realistic. You have to come up with a Travel Plan which shows how the 100 (say) employees will travel to work in order to get through planning. If you say I want 100 (or more) spaces the council will tell you to do one. If you say 20 will come by public transport, 20 will car share and 60 will be in cars alone, so 70 spaces, you stand a chance. But 30 employees have nowhere to park.

Outside of the big cities the land is cheap relative to the cost of construction, most companies would want a massive car park as this not only keeps their staff happy but allows them to expand the building if required in the future.

I speak from direct experience here.

Yes, zero chance of getting a new-build office complex with parking for every employee through - even miles out of town - due to council carbon reduction mumbo jumbo nonsense.

If it's head office and distribution though you can quite easily get an unnecessarily enormous warehouse service yard through for 'health and safety' reasons with large vehicles manoeuvring and then just overspill cars on there.

HOLA443

Sorry to disapoint the people here but there is no law stopping someone parking on a dropped curb or even over a driveway.

I know this for a fact as the Police told me so recently.

If you think otherwise then find some evidence and I don't mean crappypedia or some anecdotal.

The only thing that prevents people parking over a drive or a dropped curb is common f***ing decency. And there is little of that left in the UK from my personal experience.

2004 Traffic Management act does. I think enforcement may now be civilian since 2008 - though police still have to enforce obstruction parking on pavements if there are no double yellows.

It's all a bit of a mess though really. TBH

HOLA444

2004 Traffic Management act does. I think enforcement may now be civilian since 2008 - though police still have to enforce obstruction parking on pavements if there are no double yellows.

It's all a bit of a mess though really. TBH

Very limited areas covered:

(9)The prohibition in this section is enforceable as if imposed—

(a)in Greater London, by an order under section 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c. 27),

(b)elsewhere in England and Wales, by an order under section 1 of that Act.

see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/18/section/86

As I said, whilst it may be mentioned elsewhere it's just not a law. I really don't understand why not.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Sorry to disapoint the people here but there is no law stopping someone parking on a dropped curb or even over a driveway.

I know this for a fact as the Police told me so recently.

If you think otherwise then find some evidence and I don't mean crappypedia or some anecdotal.

The only thing that prevents people parking over a drive or a dropped curb is common f***ing decency. And there is little of that left in the UK from my personal experience.

Well, I never said there was a law restricting...as with most things to do with cars and appropriate behaviour, there's the highway code, and I'm pretty sure (though it's been awhile since I took my test) that the highway code says to not park on dropped curbs.

HOLA447

Just typed out a long reply to this and back spaced and lost it - doh ! Long story short is residents near where I work have these passive aggressive signs and have now taken to not using their own driveways, which often allow three cars to park off street, and choose to park outside their house and take up two spaces with one car - rather sad.

HOLA448

Very limited areas covered:

(9)The prohibition in this section is enforceable as if imposed—

(a)in Greater London, by an order under section 6 of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 (c. 27),

(b)elsewhere in England and Wales, by an order under section 1 of that Act.

see http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2004/18/section/86

As I said, whilst it may be mentioned elsewhere it's just not a law. I really don't understand why not.

It's certainly enforced as one - councils will PCN and tow vehicles (now seemingly including the homeowner's also since 2008) if parked adjacent to a dropped kerb, yellow line restrictions or not.

I've had years of similar with people parking and blocking delivery access. Used to be police would come and ticket but only if they had blocked you on your property bizarrely not if you were trying to get in. Obviously doesn't get round the fact the access is still blocked. In lots of cases we've just paid a recovery operator to lift and move the vehicle, obviously without damage, and depending on how game they are deposit it somewhere very awkward. I'm not 100% on the legality of this but never had any comeback from vehicle owners. The constant issue with access is another good reason to dispose of High St stores.

Surprisingly the insurers will also cover our delivery drivers to move any vehicle blocking access provided they can obtain the key - with or without the owner's permission :blink: .

HOLA449

Just typed out a long reply to this and back spaced and lost it - doh ! Long story short is residents near where I work have these passive aggressive signs and have now taken to not using their own driveways, which often allow three cars to park off street, and choose to park outside their house and take up two spaces with one car - rather sad.

Bonkers aggressive, and territorial! What stressed people they must be! I recommend constructing daisy chains, a pint, and then a trip to the Quaker's meeting house for a cup of tea! :huh:

HOLA4410

Bonkers aggressive, and territorial! What stressed people they must be! I recommend constructing daisy chains, a pint, and then a trip to the Quaker's meeting house for a cup of tea! :huh:

I'm absolutely sure the residents have decided to do this deliberately. It's maybe difficult to explain and perhaps I haven't made the situation clear. The street has 95% off street parking, the dropped kerbs are obviously outside each house, in between in each driveway is often a space long enough for two fair sized cars. The residents, as stated park smack in the middle and obviously don't use their driveway at all, at least during the day. It's of course hard to prove that there wasn't a Smart car parked there or a motorbike that has subsequently left the spot and thus given the appearance of the driver parking deliberately to take two spots - however,if one was to gain evidence ie, filming the person parking in this manner, could it be acted upon ?

HOLA4411

I'm absolutely sure the residents have decided to do this deliberately. It's maybe difficult to explain and perhaps I haven't made the situation clear. The street has 95% off street parking, the dropped kerbs are obviously outside each house, in between in each driveway is often a space long enough for two fair sized cars. The residents, as stated park smack in the middle and obviously don't use their driveway at all, at least during the day. It's of course hard to prove that there wasn't a Smart car parked there or a motorbike that has subsequently left the spot and thus given the appearance of the driver parking deliberately to take two spots - however,if one was to gain evidence ie, filming the person parking in this manner, could it be acted upon ?

They are piddling up-wind! You can park where you like on a public road (allowing restrictions), even if that road goes past somebody else's view! If you have the relevant valid vehicle excise duty displayed, you can do it! :huh:

HOLA4412

They are piddling up-wind! You can park where you like on a public road (allowing restrictions), even if that road goes past somebody else's view! If you have the relevant valid vehicle excise duty displayed, you can do it! :huh:

It's permitted to intentionally take two spots ?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

As some people have mentioned the issue sometimes occurs with not enough parking for businesses in town centre locations. I honestly don't understand why companies situate themselves in town centres. They often cite access to shops and nearby bars for after-work drinks give a better working spirit, compared to the nasty industrial estate; but I don't go to work so I can visit the shops, I'd much rather work in an out-of-town location that had plenty of parking.

And doncha know it, the people praising their shiny new town centre, glassed office block often have one of the limited on-site parking spots, while everyone else has to do a 15 minute walk each morning in the rain and risk the wrath off p1ssed of residents.

HOLA4417

As some people have mentioned the issue sometimes occurs with not enough parking for businesses in town centre locations. I honestly don't understand why companies situate themselves in town centres. They often cite access to shops and nearby bars for after-work drinks give a better working spirit, compared to the nasty industrial estate; but I don't go to work so I can visit the shops, I'd much rather work in an out-of-town location that had plenty of parking.

And doncha know it, the people praising their shiny new town centre, glassed office block often have one of the limited on-site parking spots, while everyone else has to do a 15 minute walk each morning in the rain and risk the wrath off p1ssed of residents.

This is what leads to sh1thole town centres and no community. Soon the town is, just like so many in modern Britain, a collection of sh1tty new build houses and the odd school all penned in by a bypass with a choice of either a Tesco or McDonalds on each identical roundabout.

HOLA4418

Where I work there's parking restriction in the immediate area,jointly due to the local school and businesses. I park around a half mile away, there's no restrictions whatsoever other than the residents preferring people not to park in "their" street. We don't have a perfect system,however I personally have chosen not to put in a dropped kerb outside my home as it would prevent people from parking there when I'm at work - sometimes it means I have to park a couple of blocks from where I live due to their being no spots when I get home,I honestly don't mind - it's give and take. As far as I'm concerned the people that take two spots with one car, when they have room for three cars on their drive are ****s.

HOLA4419

My own experience is that many companies (including my own) are eschewing city centre locations in favour of soulless out of town business parks.

I actually miss the days when I worked in a city centre office and we'd all head to the boozer after work on a Friday for a few post work drinks. Although I appreciate some people don't like or don't have a good provision for public transport.

HOLA4420

Had another note on my car on Friday. Not sure how long it had been there as I don't drive it much if at all during the week. The note claimed that I was selfish, and that parking by a dropped kerb was illegal. They don't have a drive, so not sure what the dropped kerb is for anyway. Needless to say I'll be ignoring it and will park there again when it the closest spot to my house. I really don't get why walking 20m to your car is such a hardship, I walk several miles a day to and from the station at each end of my commute come rain or shine, so the obsession with having your car outside your house is just plain weird to me. If you ate that bothered the solution is to get a house with a drive rather than stick petty notes on people's cars.

• 4 months later...
HOLA4421

I normally park about half a mile from where I work as I save time and it's good to get a little free exercise. However, yesterday I couldn't park in the normal spot, so parked a little nearer. When I came out to my car a few hours later there was a piece of cardboard under my wiper that said "Stop parking outside other peoples houses and going to work - some people work from home and take deliveries" and my reg number was written on the top and bottom of both sides. Also a few weeks previously I parked outside a house with a double driveway (I was legally parked) and the guy parked halfway across his dropped kerb and left his rear bumper virtually touching my front bumper. I came back to my car and I couldn't move as I'd reversed in tight against the kerb with my front wheels at an angle when I arrived. I couldn't reverse at all. I knocked on the door and he moved it. He was a gorilla and it was late at night and I'd just finished a 10 hour shift. When he agreed to move the car - I decided it wasn't the best time to get into an argument. Where do I stand legally with this ? What if he hadn't move the car or not been home ? And are notes a form of intimidation ?

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I think a driveway has to have a dropped kerb under most councils to be classed as a driveway which you cannot block. If they have a dropped kerb they should have council permission.

Providing you are not blocking driveway, double yellows etc you can park infront of anyones house.

I bloody hate people that think they OWN the road infront of their house even if they have no driveway. I was once blocked in by a guy who had 3 cars and a works van. I expertly manouevred out of the space which angered him as he wanted me to have to knock on the door to ask him to move. He came out and threats followed that I shouldnt park there again and if I did he would damge my car etc blah blah blah.

I pointed out that I knew where he lived and he didnt know where I lived and his windows would go through PLUS his cars would get done if there was any damage to my car which was a 300quid scrapper anyway, and that I was now going to park there again just to prove a point.

Sorry if I seems obnoxious but I have a severe dislike of these people. If my car is taxed I will legally park where I want and I would encourage you to do the same. Obviously if there are disabled people needing access etc I wouldn't take this stance.

HOLA4424

Where do I stand legally with this ? What if he hadn't move the car or not been home ? And are notes a form of intimidation ?

Ive seen 1 of those cop programs where police forcefully moved a car that was blocking access and towed away, so I assume it will be the same for you if you are legally parked and are prevented from moving your car. Whether the cops could be bothered is another matter.

I doubt the note is a threat if they didnt threaten a consequence. However if you get threatened in person like I did thats a different matter.

Just tell the whingers that your tax disc is your personal parking permit to legally park anywhere you bloody want!!

HOLA4425

I normally park about half a mile from where I work as I save time and it's good to get a little free exercise. However, yesterday I couldn't park in the normal spot, so parked a little nearer. When I came out to my car a few hours later there was a piece of cardboard under my wiper that said "Stop parking outside other peoples houses and going to work - some people work from home and take deliveries" and my reg number was written on the top and bottom of both sides. Also a few weeks previously I parked outside a house with a double driveway (I was legally parked) and the guy parked halfway across his dropped kerb and left his rear bumper virtually touching my front bumper. I came back to my car and I couldn't move as I'd reversed in tight against the kerb with my front wheels at an angle when I arrived. I couldn't reverse at all. I knocked on the door and he moved it. He was a gorilla and it was late at night and I'd just finished a 10 hour shift. When he agreed to move the car - I decided it wasn't the best time to get into an argument. Where do I stand legally with this ? What if he hadn't move the car or not been home ? And are notes a form of intimidation ?

Some people think they own the road, as others have pointed out. I can understand frustrations, as over the years some once-deserted streets will now be packed with other people's cars, but that's just the way it is. As long as everyone is legally parked, and sensible, there should be no problems. Some people have nowt better to do.

Archived